BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #67
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Did an upgrade to the latest BMW software. All of a sudden e-mails showed up as well as SMS. Checked e-mail the usual way by going into e-mail on my 4S.

New e-mails showed up on the NAV screen.

This means there are no need to have the e-mail showing up on the locked screen... If you have PUSH settings or manually check for e-mail it will show up.

Last edited by RichardBR; 10-25-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #68
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Did an upgrade to the latest BMW software. All of a sudden e-mails showed up as well as SMS. Checked e-mail the usual way by going into e-mail on my 4S.

New e-mails showed up on the NAV screen.

This means there are no need to have the e-mail showing up on the locked screen... If you have PUSH settings or manually check for e-mail it will show up.
Are you just saying you have no alert style set in email notifications and it's working? I think you would always want to have emailed pushed otherwise it's a bit pointless

If you get in the car, don't touch your iPhone at all and then someone sends you an email, do you always see it as a new message immediately (regardless of alert style)? I only see new emails after I toggle the alert style in notification settings for email (and then stops working next time I get in the car again)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #69
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Are you just saying you have no alert style set in email notifications and it's working? I think you would always want to have emailed pushed otherwise it's a bit pointless

If you get in the car, don't touch your iPhone at all and then someone sends you an email, do you always see it as a new message immediately (regardless of alert style)? I only see new emails after I toggle the alert style in notification settings for email (and then stops working next time I get in the car again)
I have no push setting on my e-mail. Just sat in my car and opened the E-mail app on my phone. Lot's of new e-mails arrived and after I've read trough them I noticed the envelope on the iDrive screen. All the new e-mails was shown on the iDrive screen.

Didn't mess with the alert style at all. Just a coincidense really.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #70
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

The only way I get mine working is if I change the alert style. I turned on the push function and I'll see how it works that way.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #71
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
No matter what I do, cant get emails on mine.. stupid system
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #72
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I updated my software to TX 3.5.5. It doesn't seem to have helped with mail. iPhone 4S, iOS 6.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #73
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
No matter what I do, cant get emails on mine.. stupid system
You're not trying hard enough Matt

Even if you do get it "working", you still need the alert toggle workaround every time you get in the car, so you're not missing out on much

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #74
doc.crawford
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D

Does anybody know why I would not be able to get SMS and Email working in my idrive in Australia? Is there a reason the car does not seem to allow it? I have searched many posts and can't seem to find what I am doing wrong. When I go into my Office on idrive the only thing that will display is my contacts. I have been in all of my menu's and configurations on my iPhone 5 as well as on the idrive. Can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #75
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.crawford View Post
Does anybody know why I would not be able to get SMS and Email working in my idrive in Australia? Is there a reason the car does not seem to allow it? I have searched many posts and can't seem to find what I am doing wrong. When I go into my Office on idrive the only thing that will display is my contacts. I have been in all of my menu's and configurations on my iPhone 5 as well as on the idrive. Can't seem to figure it out. Thanks for the help.
Suggest you post screenshots of your iPhone settings for Bluetooth (details of BMW pairing that you are using) and also iPhone email notification settings. I assume your iPhone pairing works OK for audio and phone? If you've followed everything in this thread, you should at least get SMS

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #76
doc.crawford
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Suggest you post screenshots of your iPhone settings for Bluetooth (details of BMW pairing that you are using) and also iPhone email notification settings. I assume your iPhone pairing works OK for audio and phone? If you've followed everything in this thread, you should at least get SMS
I just picked up my car this week so I assumed it would have the correct updates on it? Maybe I am wrong to assume that? I will be downloading these updates on a USB stick that people have posted and see if that makes any difference. I have followed the previous screenshots, but can't seem to get anything past contacts on idrive. Not sure how to change that, possibly this update. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how I go when I get the update installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #77
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.crawford View Post
I just picked up my car this week so I assumed it would have the correct updates on it? Maybe I am wrong to assume that? I will be downloading these updates on a USB stick that people have posted and see if that makes any difference. I have followed the previous screenshots, but can't seem to get anything past contacts on idrive. Not sure how to change that, possibly this update. Thanks for the help. I will let you know how I go when I get the update installed.
You won't need any new iDrive software. The software for BMW Office hasn't changed - or not materially anyway. It's always worked for Blackberrys and some other smart phones. What changed recently was that iOS6 was introduced, and with it MAP, which meant that iOS6 now supported BMW Office not the other way round. My iDrive software hasn't been updated for about a year and I get email and SMS - my car also shows as "software up to date".

Hopefully a fellow Aussie can post something as it might be something specific to your market that's preventing it working

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #78
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Haha yes im not trying hard enough.. but if i have to toggle something every time, then it aint gonna happen
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #79
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

I experience something that HAS to be a bug. Wonder if someone else experience this as well. When I receive a SMS, the envelope appears, I go to the Messages to view the message. So far so good.

When you view the message there is a phone button in the left menu. I recon you can press the phone button to call the sender of the text. But no. A strange and long number appears, and obviosly this number is not avaliable. This button is useless for me.
It's not a big issue, but quite enoying.

Anybody experience the same?

I have the latest BMW software and iOS 6 on a 4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #80
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

I had seen a long encoded number when some one tried to FaceTime me. I'm unable to recollect the sequences and where did I really see it.

I believe I saw a similar long number when I got an iMessage. It looks iOS encode call numbers for iOS to iOS messages/ streams. You will see a correct phone number for a true SMS. Check that the SMS you received must be from another iOS device.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #81
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
I had seen a long encoded number when some one tried to FaceTime me. I'm unable to recollect the sequences and where did I really see it.

I believe I saw a similar long number when I got an iMessage. It looks iOS encode call numbers for iOS to iOS messages/ streams. You will see a correct phone number for a true SMS. Check that the SMS you received must be from another iOS device.
Good point, but no. First time I noticed the bug was a SMS from my wife. She has the same phone as me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #82
gtkow
Rep
Drives: X3 20D F25

Hello,

I have a question. What's the last version of iDrive software? Because when I go on http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country= , he say me that the UPD01004.bin is the lastest version... but if I go on http://www.bmw.fr/fr/fr/owners/navig...check_tool.jsp I have more software version... I don't understand....
Thank's for all!!
GTKOW
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #83
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkow View Post
Hello,

I have a question. What's the last version of iDrive software? Because when I go on http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country= , he say me that the UPD01004.bin is the lastest version... but if I go on http://www.bmw.fr/fr/fr/owners/navig...check_tool.jsp I have more software version... I don't understand....
Thank's for all!!
GTKOW
If you have BMW Assist, you can check to see if you have the latest version on iDrive - Software Update. If not, go by what the website says for Switzerland. Other markets may have different versions. None of the latest updates (within the last year or so) seem to make any difference to the iOS6 issues.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #84
gtkow
Rep
Drives: X3 20D F25

Quote:
If you have BMW Assist, you can check to see if you have the latest version on iDrive - Software Update. If not, go by what the website says for Switzerland. Other markets may have different versions. None of the latest updates (within the last year or so) seem to make any difference to the iOS6 issues.
Helle,

thank's for your answer.

Yes I have the BMW assist. but you know how it's working?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #85
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkow View Post
Helle,

thank's for your answer.

Yes I have the BMW assist. but you know how it's working?
I'm lost!

Do you mean how do you know whether BMW Assist is working? You need to activate it first but you can check by looking at BMW Live on iDrive. This won't work without an active subscription.

If BMW Live works, then in theory the automatic software update should work. Try it and it will probably tell you that your software is already up to date.

May have picked up the wrong end of the stick...

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #86
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

If BMW Assist is not activated for internet connection, one can always download UPD01005.bin and install it using USB Flash Drive manually. Going through BMW.com/update site with your VIN ensures that update is valid for your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #87
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Good point, but no. First time I noticed the bug was a SMS from my wife. She has the same phone as me.
I noticed the other day that a SMS from my airline telling me that I could check in for the next day's flight, actually showed up as a correct telephone number that I could call by pressing the Call button...

Strange stuff...

Last edited by RichardBR; 11-18-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #88
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Then there are a more ennoying matter. I'm sure you guys have noticed.

I have set my iPhone to remind me 2 extra times if a SMS arrives and I don't check it.

The problem is that if I read the text on the iDrive, the message on the iPhone is not updated as read. This means I'm reminded 2 times for a message that has already been read.

Except for diabling the reminders on the iPhone, any clue on how to get the car to update the iPhone on this?
Appreciate 0