BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

13 Pin Euro towing

Does anyone know if the factory fitted electric tow bar has power to pin 9? This is used to supply the ATC system on Alko caravan hitches.
      12-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

If you are worried about the Alko ATC system, you obviously are towing a caravan.

Be aware that the factory fitted BMW towbracket & electrics DO NOT have the supply & earth return for the fridge system. IN BMW's words. We don't conform to ISO standards, we follow BMW standards!!!

Various dealer quoted between free & £800 to correct this BMW design fault.

I would strongly advise having the detachable Westfalia tow bar with the BMW specific electrics fitted after delivery.
This is the setup that BMW dealers have fitted as a non factory fit. If you ask your BMW dealer, they will probably tell you which local fitter they use - then go direct and save the dealer's uplift.

I have this setup.
Yes the Alko ATC works well.
The car correctly senses the caravan and adjust the electrics
I don't have the rear view camera, so can't confirm that this switches down to look at the tow hook in reverse.
The fridge also works
I saved hundreds over the BMW factory fit which wouldn't do the job anyway.
Overall, the X3 if probably the best towcar I have had in 30 years caravanning.

I have had the witter detachable bracket before. The Westfalia one is very much easier to fit and seems to be a better quality product.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

Sorry I should have elaborated, yes I do have a caravan, I'm thinking of changing it to one with the Alko ATC. Unfortunately I have the factory fitted electric retractable tow bar hence the question. Having owned a Volvo XC60 previously I fully agree that the X3 tows superbly and that's with the 2L diesel version. If it's just supplying power to pin 9 and an earth I would imagine running a fused supply from the battery to the electrical plug would be fairly easy.
      01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

I have a 3.0D M-Sport with the factory retractable towbar and 13 pin electrics. I tow a Coachman Laser with ATC and it works great with no mods required. the aux supply for the fridge and battery charging does not work however. I have the rear camera and that has to be selected to view the towbar using the I drive controller. Hope this helps.