BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
mjjc1972
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d SE

Rattles and Squeaks

I thought it would be a good idea to list any rattles and squeaks that people have had with their F25s, along with what the solution was (if any).

So far, I have two noises:

1) The tailgate trim seems to creak a lot; I've trid dampening it with cloth inserted into some of the gaps and with foam pads, but to no avail - going back to the dealer to try and sort this one.

2) A slight intermittent rattle from what sounds like the passenger door/air vent area. Cannot get it consistently though....

Any other noises/resolutions?
      06-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

I have 2, one that is insignificant and one that is annoying.

When I have the back cargo cover in place (and closed) it sounds like the plastic moves around a bit on certain kinds of bumps and it has a slight creek...when I open it up it mostly stops but every now and then it will still do it...if I remove the cargo cover it goes away...this one is no big deal as it's not constant.

The other though is annoying the sh*t out of me....it's the driver's side window. I do NOT have the issue of wind noise that others reported, but what I do have is what sounds like this very low level slight rattle of the glass...I've tracked it down to that. When the window is closed all the way it sounds like the glass it kinda rubbing against the plastic trim...its weird...when I push on the glass I can hear it too...it's very low volume but right at ear level so its right there. When I open the window past a certain point it goes away so I'm sure it's something to do with that. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet b/c I want to narrow the sound down enough that they don't say "we can't find it".

I'm guessing the fix may be either tightening the window (doubt they'll do that b/c they have to open up the door) or maybe putting some more foam up in where the window seals. we'll see....

Other than that it's tight as a drum.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I haven't noticed any.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

I had squeaking noises from the passenger seat... whenever I accelerated, even if it was minimal, or braked, it would keep making squeaking noises and it drove me CRAZY!!!

My solution, after 3 days of continuing annoyingness... i adjusted the seat moving upwards and back downwards... ALAS... my problem is solved and no more annoying squeaks!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
Santa69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_matthias View Post
I had squeaking noises from the passenger seat... whenever I accelerated, even if it was minimal, or braked, it would keep making squeaking noises and it drove me CRAZY!!!

My solution, after 3 days of continuing annoyingness... i adjusted the seat moving upwards and back downwards... ALAS... my problem is solved and no more annoying squeaks!!!
I have a similar problem with the driver seat. I go over a bump the seat squeaks. It is particularly annoying because otherwise the car is tight and quiet. Trying different seat positions, but no luck so far.

Bring on the X3M
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton_matthias View Post
I had squeaking noises from the passenger seat... whenever I accelerated,...
I had this too. I just told her if you don't like my driving get out and walk. Soon stopped.

Max3
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3Factor View Post
I had this too. I just told her if you don't like my driving get out and walk. Soon stopped.

Max3
-

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

hope is not a common trait in the X3 i hate rattles with a passion!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

A metallic ticking sound coming for the pillar b/t the driver's side doors. Annoying!

My new model 2006 330i had its own noises, eventually there were TSBs to address them. One was the seat belt mechanism, another was where the dash meets the center console (felt tape fix).
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I'm getting an intermittant rattle coming form the moon roof. I can stop it by putting a little pressure on the center divider.

This is not a rattle, but does anyone else find it annoying that the rear seatbelts slap against the seats when driving with the moon roof open and windows down at speed? Not sure why I would expect them not to or how you would prevent it without buckleing them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateshow View Post
This is not a rattle, but does anyone else find it annoying that the rear seatbelts slap against the seats when driving with the moon roof open and windows down at speed? Not sure why I would expect them not to or how you would prevent it without buckleing them.
My previous vert had clips on the seats to secure the seat belts to fix this problem. You'll have to improvise something....
      06-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

My X3 is solid and quiet. No complaints on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I haven't noticed any.
None for me

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
So far so good....mine is very quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
XFactor808
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 3.0si

I have an '07 X3 and the rear half of the vehicle squeaks a lot, sometimes when going over bumps, and especially when turning left or right out of a driveway (onto the street) where the body flexes as you turn. Sounds like I'm in a wooden boat.

I am told that it's the rubber seals on the door frames and/or rear hatch that is making these strange noises. I have read that using either Einszett Rubber Protection or Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick to lube the seals might work.

Has anyone tried these products before with any success in stopping these irritating noises?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
ddemsey
Rep
Drives: x3

Rattle coming from driver's dor.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
andrewbmw
Rep
Drives: x3 28i

Both front door/window were rattling on the bumpy roads. After reading some old posts of other BMW owners, I tried the gumi pflege ( available at amazon )with great success and didn't notice much squeaks for a while.

The key for me is to apply the pflege on not only main seal, but also the plastic above and below the seal as they will also touch the frame. Also the shadow lines above the frame seal which meets the door seal.

I first only applied on the main seals in the door and frame but no significant improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFactor808 View Post
I have an '07 X3 and the rear half of the vehicle squeaks a lot, sometimes when going over bumps, and especially when turning left or right out of a driveway (onto the street) where the body flexes as you turn. Sounds like I'm in a wooden boat.

I am told that it's the rubber seals on the door frames and/or rear hatch that is making these strange noises. I have read that using either Einszett Rubber Protection or Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick to lube the seals might work.

Has anyone tried these products before with any success in stopping these irritating noises?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

When was it a silent car became the standard? Really? A vehicle should drive 70 mph over unknown road surfaces and be silent?

Outrageous issues, i'm with you all the way. Seems kinda like the quality of the car is higlighting minor noises that would be ignored in another car.
      07-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #19
newX3owner
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjc1972 View Post
2) A slight intermittent rattle from what sounds like the passenger door/air vent area. Cannot get it consistently though....
I have this exact same squeak...but only when im on the freeway and music on loud

on a diff subject...does anyone else's driver side mirror (only the mirror) move or wiggle while driving? especially going fast on the freeway, i always see it moving (i assume the wind but the passenger side mirror doesnt move). i am sensitive to seeing things change on that side of mirror
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 04:28 AM   #20
Marspilot
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
I had the same door noise and its resolved!!!!

I swear I thought I was going to go orbital over the very same door noises!!!!!! It was a super easy fix from my dealer. Apparently, there is a special Teflon tape strip modification that was designed originally for the 5 series sedans that fixed this problem for me immediately. Since there is a little tolerance gap with the window sill and frame etc, what I was hearing was flexing that took place at high or low rpm and sometimes almost sounded like rattle. I couldn't repeat if I drove over a bumpy road or speedbump.

Dealer put on the Teflon tape kit on each side. The tape runs along the whole door opening for both doors on both sides.
The car is spooky quiet now.
Let me know if you need a picture etc.

Hope this helps.

Marspilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
I have 2, one that is insignificant and one that is annoying.

When I have the back cargo cover in place (and closed) it sounds like the plastic moves around a bit on certain kinds of bumps and it has a slight creek...when I open it up it mostly stops but every now and then it will still do it...if I remove the cargo cover it goes away...this one is no big deal as it's not constant.

The other though is annoying the sh*t out of me....it's the driver's side window. I do NOT have the issue of wind noise that others reported, but what I do have is what sounds like this very low level slight rattle of the glass...I've tracked it down to that. When the window is closed all the way it sounds like the glass it kinda rubbing against the plastic trim...its weird...when I push on the glass I can hear it too...it's very low volume but right at ear level so its right there. When I open the window past a certain point it goes away so I'm sure it's something to do with that. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet b/c I want to narrow the sound down enough that they don't say "we can't find it".

I'm guessing the fix may be either tightening the window (doubt they'll do that b/c they have to open up the door) or maybe putting some more foam up in where the window seals. we'll see....

Other than that it's tight as a drum.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #21
bcollins1
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa69 View Post
I have a similar problem with the driver seat. I go over a bump the seat squeaks. It is particularly annoying because otherwise the car is tight and quiet. Trying different seat positions, but no luck so far.
I'm having this exact problem. Every time my weight shifts (start from a light, over a bump, around a corner) the seatback creaks like a rickety old rocking chair on the back porch. It's really kind of ruining an otherwise solid and quiet ride.

I'm going to mention it to the dealer but I don't have high hopes that they'll be able to fix it without replacing the seat. Doubt if they'll be willing to do that though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #22
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Please send me pics.. I have the same problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marspilot View Post
I swear I thought I was going to go orbital over the very same door noises!!!!!! It was a super easy fix from my dealer. Apparently, there is a special Teflon tape strip modification that was designed originally for the 5 series sedans that fixed this problem for me immediately. Since there is a little tolerance gap with the window sill and frame etc, what I was hearing was flexing that took place at high or low rpm and sometimes almost sounded like rattle. I couldn't repeat if I drove over a bumpy road or speedbump.

Dealer put on the Teflon tape kit on each side. The tape runs along the whole door opening for both doors on both sides.
The car is spooky quiet now.
Let me know if you need a picture etc.

Hope this helps.

Marspilot
Appreciate 0