BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Review: New 2008 X3 tire/suspension setup - Bilstein HDs/H&R RSB/Conti DWSes

I haven't seen much on the 'net reviewing the E83 BMW X3-spec Bilstein HD Suspension. Little bits and pieces here and there, but nothing comprehensive.
I'm familiar with how the Conti DWSes feel, as I've had them on 3 other cars. I'll try to keep this focused on the Bilstein HD/H&R combo.

Let me preface this by saying that I've got no experience with the 2004-2006 suspension setups - all I know on it comes from what people online say about it being harsh, which I can't corroborate. I'm also using my stock M-sport springs, which I'm told do not differ significantly from the stock X3 springs.

My BMW is a 2008 X3 3.0si 6-speed with M-Sport package, and 19" M wheels. Subjectively, at 50k miles, when I bought the car, the car felt a bit floaty, like it ambled over the road, and the rear-end didn't feel as connected as it could. The suspension felt a bit firm over bumps, but in the twisties it didn't satisfy me, with excessive body roll. The ride on the freeway was okay, but still somewhat choppy.

I purchased the Bilstein HD set, front and rear with the H&R RSB from Turner Motorsports and had them installed with a fresh alignment. After breaking in the suspension with roughly 1200 miles, I can say it's a definite improvement. Ride comfort on the freeway is dramatically improved, as there's a bit more isolation from road irregularities. The Bilsteins with the bar set to its highest setting make the rear end respond like it should to steering inputs - The slight delay in steering inputs is gone. The slightly floaty feel is strongly mitigated, and body roll is controlled significantly better.

During this time, I've also been driving an E90 328, 335i Performance Edition, and my 2003 330xi which has the E46 Bilstein HD setup with H&R RSB.

Relative to the E46, the turn-in isn't nearly as good with the X3, and it's somewhat more disconnected. My E46 has the same tire (in different sizes), but the same RSB and Bilstein HD setup. Other than initial turn in, if you don't let its lack of initial feedback get to you and keep on it, the X3 will handle eerily close to the E46 setup, just providing somewhat less feedback. This is a huge win for the X3. Dive while braking, while not a big problem with the X3, has also been minimized somewhat. Overall, more comfort + better handling is a big win in my book.

A lot of the X5 guys seem to hate the Bilsteins, but I'm going to give them a glowing recommendation. The Lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.

Now, anyone with an older X3 want some stock shocks/struts off an '08, for a song?

Last edited by LeoBurr; 02-21-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
cleung
Private
Rep
Drives: 1997 Z3 1.9,2014 X1 28i xdrive

thanks for the review. I've noticed that not many people seem to drive e83 and not many people on here do anything aftermarket to them. I actually had a really hard time just trying to find out max offset for aftermarket wheels. Now that my 19" wheels are on there way I may have to end up looking at new shocks if my wife doesn't like the stiffer ride the 19's will give.
1997 Z3 1.9
2014 X1 28i xdrive
Appreciate 0