BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Brake pads need replacing after 10,700 miles is normal!-Apparently!!!

OK, After my service indicator went from 7000 miles to 680 miles in a week and the info computer telling me that it's due to rear brake pads being low I decided to book it in to my local dealer to have a look.

And yes!....after only 10,700 miles my pads are down to 3.5mm and need rerplacing. They said it was normal on this vehicle and was around £250 to replace.

I kindly asked then to check with customer service and get back to me to who was gonna pay for this cause I'm damn sure I'm not replacing brake pads every 7 months!!!!

They have promised to get back to me on Monday.

I'll keep you informed.......
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

They're covered by the warranty. Had mine replaced at just about the same point. Wear depends on how much you use the brakes whether that's sporty driving the requires heavier braking at curves/turns or due to traffic. I have an hour commute with some of the worst traffic in the US so I'm doing a lot of braking. The replacement timing is very similar to my previous BMWs with the exception of it being only the rear. The front seems to be lasting about twice as long.
      09-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
They're covered by the warranty. Had mine replaced at just about the same point. Wear depends on how much you use the brakes whether that's sporty driving the requires heavier braking at curves/turns or due to traffic. I have an hour commute with some of the worst traffic in the US so I'm doing a lot of braking. The replacement timing is very similar to my previous BMWs with the exception of it being only the rear. The front seems to be lasting about twice as long.
Not in the UK. They dont get the 4 year/50k package that we get included in the US
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
gator4life108
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Not in the UK. They dont get the 4 year/50k package that we get included in the US
Wow that sucks. One of the major selling points for me was the Ultimate Service. Why this is not a part of European sales is weird. I think most vehicles you can expect 50,000 miles at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's definitely not included in the service package in the UK unless you buy the inclusive plus package. For info (from BMW UK website):

5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever happens first

Service Inclusive £350 - pretty much everyone gets this at least and it's effectively free / part of "discount"

- Oil service

- Oil top-ups between services

- Vehicle-check and standard inspections

- Micro filter

- Renew spark plugs

- Renew brake fluid

- Fuel filter (diesel models only)

BMW Service Inclusive Plus £1380

All of the above and...

- Renew front brake pads and discs

- Renew rear brake pads and discs

- Renew clutch assembly

- Renew wiper blade rubbers

For reference, I have done 13,000 miles and mine was showing rear due in 8,000 miles today. Mine is 18 months old.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Well BMW have said that they wil contribute 50% of the cost but this milage on pads this is not "out of the ordinary" !!!
Appreciate 0