BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Spitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

"Can any Canadian owners verify that the stock system does indeed include 12 speakers and the premium 16 speakers?"

It's an upgrade for the 28i (Executive) and standard on the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
"Can any Canadian owners verify that the stock system does indeed include 12 speakers and the premium 16 speakers?"

It's an upgrade for the 28i (Executive) and standard on the 35i.
I would also be interested to know this. The reason is:
The 28i comes with a standard sound system right? now, I have added an Executive package which gives a "HiFi Sound System" in it. Now If this is still lower than the base in 35i, then I can't imagine what we would get in a 28i base!!!
But when I scroll down to read the content of my "HiFi sound system" in my 28i, it says: "Powerful sound with cristal clarity!!!" That's it. Don't know whether this is 5-10-15-85 speakers or what??? I'm lost!
if this is still not the sound system that 35i has then what is???
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I would also be interested to know this. The reason is:
The 28i comes with a standard sound system right? now, I have added an Executive package which gives a "HiFi Sound System" in it. Now If this is still lower than the base in 35i, then I can't imagine what we would get in a 28i base!!!
But when I scroll down to read the content of my "HiFi sound system" in my 28i, it says: "Powerful sound with cristal clarity!!!" That's it. Don't know whether this is 5-10-15-85 speakers or what??? I'm lost!
if this is still not the sound system that 35i has then what is???
From the way I understand it, the 35i has a standard 12 speaker system that is upgradeable to a premium 16 speaker system.

The 28i has a standard 5 speaker system that is upgradeable to a premium 12 speaker system (which is what the 35i has as its standard 12 speaker system).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #26
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed View Post
From the way I understand it, the 35i has a standard 12 speaker system that is upgradeable to a premium 16 speaker system.

The 28i has a standard 5 speaker system that is upgradeable to a premium 12 speaker system (which is 35i standard 12 speaker system).
If that's the case, then it is more than enough IMO...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #27
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSpeed View Post

The 28i has a standard 5 speaker system that is upgradeable to a premium 12 speaker system (which is what the 35i has as its standard 12 speaker system).
wow that is weird...it's amazing how different BMW is setting these up for different countries... for example, in the UK, there are severale upgrade options, with the top of the line one being the dirac system...which would have gotten me to purchase..but not on the US models.

So just remember that when you are watching comments from people, it depends on their perspective... like I said in the US, both 28 and 35 come standard with 12 speaker setup and upgrade to 16...looks like in canada much different setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #28
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List

Guys,
Today I was listening to the radio while driving to work... a research has been recently conducted stating that the drivers who listen to louder music while driving, on average:
- go 10% faster than the speed limit
- higher gas consumption by 15%
(not to mention the already paid capital on a sound premium!!!)

Just to encourage you to go easy on selecting your premium sound systems
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #29
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post

Guys,
Today I was listening to the radio while driving to work... a research has been recently conducted stating that the drivers who listen to louder music while driving, on average:
- go 10% faster than the speed limit
- higher gas consumption by 15%
(not to mention the already paid capital on a sound premium!!!)

Just to encourage you to go easy on selecting your premium sound systems
LMFAO ....classic post...that's awesome

Shaw....I just joined here too comming from bimmerfest...glad I did b/c looks like I'm seeing a lot of the same folks you included. If memory serves we have almost the same build correct?... mineral silver, black leather, 35i, premium/tech/cold weather/sport/bmw apps???
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #30
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
wow that is weird...it's amazing how different BMW is setting these up for different countries... for example, in the UK, there are severale upgrade options, with the top of the line one being the dirac system...which would have gotten me to purchase..but not on the US models.

So just remember that when you are watching comments from people, it depends on their perspective... like I said in the US, both 28 and 35 come standard with 12 speaker setup and upgrade to 16...looks like in canada much different setup.
Maybe BMW doesn't think Canadians like good music or physically lack ears.

BMW based part of their decision on work by artists such as Justin Bieber...you can have him back Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #31
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Shaw....I just joined here too comming from bimmerfest...glad I did b/c looks like I'm seeing a lot of the same folks you included. If memory serves we have almost the same build correct?... mineral silver, black leather, 35i, premium/tech/cold weather/sport/bmw apps???
Same dude! Welcome...
I think our cars only share the exterior color though...
I'm getting a 28i
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #32
doukeyi
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

For my 28i. I got this as standard sound system written online:

Anti-theft AM/FM stereo/CD/MP3 audio system with 12 speakers, 205-watt digital amplifier, Radio Data System (RDS), Auto-Store, 3-channel FM diversity antenna system and auxiliary audio input adapter compatible with portable music players
      05-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #33
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I have the premium sound (DIRAC + 16 speakers) in my M3 and my wife loves it. When we ordered the X3 3.0d (week 20) we optioned it with it. I am looking forward to hearing it in an SUV. I know my system in the M3 is simply awesome. Given the open space in the X3 I would say it will improve the sound stage. It cost $2500 to option and I think it's worth that. The subs unders the seats make a huge difference and you feel it through the seats. Spine-tinggling
      05-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #34
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I have the premium sound (DIRAC + 16 speakers) in my M3 and my wife loves it. When we ordered the X3 3.0d (week 20) we optioned it with it. I am looking forward to hearing it in an SUV. I know my system in the M3 is simply awesome. Given the open space in the X3 I would say it will improve the sound stage. It cost $2500 to option and I think it's worth that. The subs unders the seats make a huge difference and you feel it through the seats. Spine-tinggling
Congrats!!! And yes I'm jealous...for sure b/c the 16/Dirac setup is not available in US versions of the X3...big bummer..hence the reason why I skipped. I've heard the Dirac setup in an M3 and it is great which is why I was hoping it would come to us, but no luck. I think UK and AU x3s will get it on the higher end (but pricey as you point out) systems...worth it in my mind for you, premium hifi here in US not as worth it...again hence the reason why I'll do something aftermarket to get Dirac like setup. Good luck mate!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #35
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

So how's DIRAC compared to the normal premium audio (US)? Original speculation was that the US had DIRAC but I believe we get logic 7 instead. I'm finding myself using surround sound off instead of on. Surround sound on sounds very good even when loud and good in every seat (I've sat in every seat except for middle) but doesn't seem to have depth, that's the best way I can explain it. Regardless this is the best audio I've ever had in a car and one of the better factory upgraded systems I've heard, a steal for $850.

Since this thread I've been paying more attention to my sound system, I've changed the treble, bass, and surround sound but has anyone messed with the EQ yet? I don't understand it so I'm not going to touch it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #36
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
So how's DIRAC compared to the normal premium audio (US)? Original speculation was that the US had DIRAC but I believe we get logic 7 instead. I'm finding myself using surround sound off instead of on. Surround sound on sounds very good even when loud and good in every seat (I've sat in every seat except for middle) but doesn't seem to have depth, that's the best way I can explain it. Regardless this is the best audio I've ever had in a car and one of the better factory upgraded systems I've heard, a steal for $850.

Since this thread I've been paying more attention to my sound system, I've changed the treble, bass, and surround sound but has anyone messed with the EQ yet? I don't understand it so I'm not going to touch it.
Wow well this could be a VERY long topic....in fact so long that there are entire threads dedicated to it so it's probably better for you to search on those and check them out...this topic has been discussed at length so it's pretty well documented. I'll start with this though...please don't take any of this as me knocking your stock setup....not at all...just not what I wanted b/c for me although the 875 is a good setup, I'll spend 1200-1500 aftermarket and it'll be worlds better than anything (except dirac) that BMW drops in...that being said though, the upgrade is still nice.

I will tell you this though in regards to dirac.it is 100% a different system....I was SOOOO bummed when I heard that US models were only getting logic 7 b/c it doesn't included the advanced sound processing that the dirac system does...there is a difference between just amplifying the sound and processing the sound....the dirac system actually processes it before it gets amplified so it's heard differently. (ie soundstage as many people point out)

Now here's the thing...if you REALLY want a kick @ss system, go out and spend $250 dollars on an alpine sound processor (go on alpine site and check it out), and then you just install it after your stock radio but before the amp and it will blow your socks off.

The biggest upgrade difference in the aftermarket is that BMW generally doesn't put the best speakers in so even a modest upgrade like bavarian sound works and the alpine processor will blow your socks off. You have a good system though so go get the alpine processor and you'll be amazed...seriously...that will be very similar to dirac.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #37
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Mole, you and I have the exact same configuration except I added the Premium sound and keyless entry. Dealer said I should be able to pick it up on Monday! When is yours coming in?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #38
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Mole, you and I have the exact same configuration except I added the Premium sound and keyless entry. Dealer said I should be able to pick it up on Monday! When is yours coming in?
You have nice taste!!

Funny I remember this from "the other forum" as folks call it here. (bimmerfest)...I thought it was shaw who had the same setup as me but it was you...now I remember! I don't know if you remember but I think we had gone back and forth on our builds on BF.com a while back...that's awesome!! Did you get your video yet? I got mine...pretty cool. My X3 is actually in already (came in last week) but I'm not picking it up until June 1. (yes I know...it's killing me too but there is a good reason..I posted it in BF.com) Basically my lease is up in July so I don't have to rush, and June 1 new rates may come out and I don't want to take delivery 2 weeks before the 1st only to find that rates could drop and I'm blowing monthly payment money. It is killing me though...if you pick yours up I want pictures!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
You have nice taste!!

Funny I remember this from "the other forum" as folks call it here. (bimmerfest)...I thought it was shaw who had the same setup as me but it was you...now I remember! I don't know if you remember but I think we had gone back and forth on our builds on BF.com a while back...that's awesome!! Did you get your video yet? I got mine...pretty cool. My X3 is actually in already (came in last week) but I'm not picking it up until June 1. (yes I know...it's killing me too but there is a good reason..I posted it in BF.com) Basically my lease is up in July so I don't have to rush, and June 1 new rates may come out and I don't want to take delivery 2 weeks before the 1st only to find that rates could drop and I'm blowing monthly payment money. It is killing me though...if you pick yours up I want pictures!!!
Yep, I remember our posts! I got my video last week and they actually put the upgraded 309's on it & I didn't order them! It will be interesting to see if I am charged for them on the sticker. You have a good reason to wait, but man, that would KILL me knowing it is sitting there!! It's killing me now knowing mine should be here tomorrow and I can't pick it up until Monday or Tuesday since the dealer said they have to prep it!! I'll be sure to share pics
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #40
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I remember our posts! I got my video last week and they actually put the upgraded 309's on it & I didn't order them! It will be interesting to see if I am charged for them on the sticker. You have a good reason to wait, but man, that would KILL me knowing it is sitting there!! It's killing me now knowing mine should be here tomorrow and I can't pick it up until Monday or Tuesday since the dealer said they have to prep it!! I'll be sure to share pics
Cool man...yea it's neat to know someone out there who has an almost exact build as I do...that's cool. And yes now I remember the post you had regarding the 309s and not ordering them!!! Man that is incredible seriously...for them to make a manufacturing boo-boo like that...there's gotta be more to the story that is so weird. Did you ask your dealer yet what the story is, or are you just gonna play dumb for now and see what happens? If I were you, the biggest thing I'd be concerned about is whether or not those 309s are coming with all seasons or performance tires...I mean the performance tires will be great, but that means within 5 months you'll be buying a winter setup for michigan winters. (with smaller wheels...you don't want those 19s in the winter)...that's gonna set you back another 1-2 K at least. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the 19s and then decided not to b/c although those 19s are BEAUTIFUL on the X3, but living in northern jersey I definitely need a winter setup if I'm dropping 19s and summers on. I thought about just doing 19s with all seasons but I do not think they will last through the winter...so I'll do 19's or 20s later on( maybe)

As for the waiting...dude it is killing me...absolutely killing me....seriously...I'm trying to find ways to kill the time over the next few weeks...I even took a few days off before memorial day so I could do home projects and kill time....seriously I'm dying.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #41
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Cool man...yea it's neat to know someone out there who has an almost exact build as I do...that's cool. And yes now I remember the post you had regarding the 309s and not ordering them!!! Man that is incredible seriously...for them to make a manufacturing boo-boo like that...there's gotta be more to the story that is so weird. Did you ask your dealer yet what the story is, or are you just gonna play dumb for now and see what happens? If I were you, the biggest thing I'd be concerned about is whether or not those 309s are coming with all seasons or performance tires...I mean the performance tires will be great, but that means within 5 months you'll be buying a winter setup for michigan winters. (with smaller wheels...you don't want those 19s in the winter)...that's gonna set you back another 1-2 K at least. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the 19s and then decided not to b/c although those 19s are BEAUTIFUL on the X3, but living in northern jersey I definitely need a winter setup if I'm dropping 19s and summers on. I thought about just doing 19s with all seasons but I do not think they will last through the winter...so I'll do 19's or 20s later on( maybe)

As for the waiting...dude it is killing me...absolutely killing me....seriously...I'm trying to find ways to kill the time over the next few weeks...I even took a few days off before memorial day so I could do home projects and kill time....seriously I'm dying.
Yep, that is the whole reason I didn't order the 309's because our winters suck and I need a decent tire. I'm going to wait and see if the upgraded tires are on the sticker and go from there. I am NOT paying for the upgrade since I didn't order them and they are not on my build sheet that my CA gave me (we keyed the order in together).

Have you been to your dealer to see your X? I plan on driving by tomorrow to see if mine shows up on the carrier. They may have to drag me away from it!!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #42
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that is the whole reason I didn't order the 309's because our winters suck and I need a decent tire. I'm going to wait and see if the upgraded tires are on the sticker and go from there. I am NOT paying for the upgrade since I didn't order them and they are not on my build sheet that my CA gave me (we keyed the order in together).

Have you been to your dealer to see your X? I plan on driving by tomorrow to see if mine shows up on the carrier. They may have to drag me away from it!!
Well....if you get the 309s/summer setup and are going to want to offload them to get a different setup (18s/all season) maybe you can sell them to an east coast buddy who's winters are not as bad as yours and who could use a summer setup for more months out of the year! In all seriousness if memory serves on the "other board" you posted about swappnig them out at the dealer/3rd party? (that you or another user?) If you were going to do that I may be interested but you may be better off having two sets for yourself if you were into that...think of the possibilities!

I was going to ask you if maybe they keyed it in wrong, but you just answered that...man it's really werid I have to say b/c again for the plant to make that error is strange.

And to your other question: have I been to the dealer... NO!!! OMG no way...if I drove by and saw it, no way I'd be able to handle waiting....I mean I can only take so much, and watching my video every day (several times) is about as much as I can take...if I saw it in person I'm not sure what I would be able to hold back.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #43
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Mole7374 I didn't post about it on the other board but another person was interested in swaping out his all seasons for summer tires. I can't believe you can hold yourself back from driving past the dealer. OMG the restraint you have!! I'll let you know what happens on the tires. I'm just dying to see that sticker!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #44
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mole7374 I didn't post about it on the other board but another person was interested in swaping out his all seasons for summer tires. I can't believe you can hold yourself back from driving past the dealer. OMG the restraint you have!! I'll let you know what happens on the tires. I'm just dying to see that sticker!
Ok...I remember someone talking about the swap... I'm curious to see what happens too with the sticker b/c that will kinds tell where the sticker is generated...meaning is the sticker generated at the dealer with what you key in (like what you did) or is the sticker generated based upon what was build on the vehicle (regardless of the error like what happened to you)

It will be interesting for sure b/c that's a decent sized mistake by the plant considering the delta cost of the 309s and the summer tires (assuming you got summer setup)

You know what though....(and this is just me thinking outloud right now). I think if I was you and the mistake is in your favor, I'd just take the 309s, and then come winter buy a set of blizzak 19's and you'll be fine. If you go out and buy 18s / winter as a second wheel set it's gonna cost you a pretty penny all b/c the plant messed up...even if the dealer let you keep the 309s for free you 'll still need another setup which will cost you.

Interesting let us know what happens.

Honestly it's killing me not to go up there to the dealer...seriously. I don't think though that it woudl be easily visible b/c it's a massive dealer (biggest in northern jersey) and I'm pretty sure they keep inbound vehicles on a second lot anyway...maybe better that I don't know. Trust me I'm not doing this b/c I feel good about it...the ONLY reason I'm holding back is b/c I'm hoping the stupid rates drop as of June 1st....I'm killing myself over the thought of not having the X3 to drive around in memorial day weekend....maybe better b/c I'll probably just stay home and get some yardwork done instead of driving around for 36 hours!!!
Appreciate 0