BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Acceleration Hesitation

Hello all,

I've read a lot, over the years, about people complaining of delayed acceleration, throttle tip-in, turbo lag, etc. I never had even a hint of this with my 135 or 335. I now have a 2015 2.8.

Now that I've been driving it for a few months I'm definitely experiencing some type of acceleration hesitation. As in, I push the pedal all the way to the floor to try and wake the car to pass, or whatever...and it just sits there for I'd say 2-3 second count then it takes off. This is in comfort mode. It's to the point it's a little unnerving when I'm expecting the car to do one thing and it's just not responding at all. I've noticed this in different scenarios...turning onto a hill (so maybe DSC?), passing, normal driving.

The sport mode makes it a bit better, but driving in sport presents another set of issues as you just barely touch the accelerator and the car jumps..not progressive at all. It feel like a Nissan Altima...lol. Is this all normal or am I unfairly judging this against my old N55 engine with PPK chip?

And one more thing, the transmission is very jerky (to me). Where the 335's 6AT was great and unobtrusive, this one I always feel it and it never feels like it's in the right gear for what I want to do. Everything I'd read on the 8AT was it really worked well in the background...I'm just not seeing it.

So..am toying with talking to the dealer but I wanted to see if anyone was experiencing any of these symptoms whatsoever...Maybe less, maybe more?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The X3 28i is design for fuel efficiency, therefore, the transmission is sometimes at a higher gear then you would like. With the 35i, the addition HP does help in these situations. As you probably know, the 8 speed tranny has a learning software in it. If you baby your car most of the time, it tends to stay in higher gear and have to downshift 2 or 3 gears when you want to pass. I am not sure if you are familiar with the adaptive tranny reset procedure, if you are, you can try that or have the dealer preform the reset for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Yes, the throttle hesitation is very annoying. Try to change lanes going 25 mph and accelerate, it will sit there for a second and then I'm off. Kinda dangerous really. Also happens when coming to stop sign and then try to go, always a lag. Will be a reason I probably switch to a different car next year. Never had issue with my 135i with 6 speed auto. I'm guessing it's a fuel consumption or traction control issue, but it is simply stupid. Tried tranny re-set, this did nothing.
      08-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Yes, the throttle hesitation is very annoying. Try to change lanes going 25 mph and accelerate, it will sit there for a second and then I'm off. Kinda dangerous really. Also happens when coming to stop sign and then try to go, always a lag. ...
Had it in our 2011 X3 xDr35i, seems less in our 2012 version, haven't noticed it yet in our 2015 model (also 35i) but haven't put it through its paces yet. Where it has been most problematic for us over the years is trying to turn left at a busy 4 or 6 lane intersection with heavy, fast-moving traffic coming at us leaving only a short interval of time to clear. One could argue I should just wait longer and not be in such a hurry, but these are clearances that wouldn't be made so exciting if the lag was absent. It isn't as long as the 2 or 3 sec riguy mentions, but closer to the 1 sec or less which kdog indicates.

For what it is worth, I'll add it to the 'Wish List' so at least we have it down.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

What happens if you put the transmission into Sports Mode? Do you still get the lag?
If I anticipate I need some acceleration I flick the transmission to Sports mode, and also press the Sport button which adjusts the throttle mapping.
No problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

I've always thought that one of the best and most enjoyable characteristics of my X3 is the total lack of any acceleration lag. Just tap the pedal and it goes! I'd say there's less lag than on any other car I've owned. Also high on my list of likes is the smooth shifting 8 speed transmission. Go figure. Mine is a 35i though.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Where it has been most problematic for us over the years is trying to turn left at a busy 4 or 6 lane intersection with heavy, fast-moving traffic coming at us leaving only a short interval of time to clear.
I know the situation, and I sort of welcome it in my 35i.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
I know the situation, and I sort of welcome it in my 35i.
Indeed, when our 35i's kick in you know you're clear (to pass, cross traffic, ...), so the acceleration curve is fantastic once it begins. But, the lag is definitely an issue for some of us, before it 'kicks in'.

As some have experienced this and others haven't, the root cause seems elusive. We have some really knowledgeable automotive folks on this forum, and perhaps some can hypothesize what could cause such sporadic (albeit numerous it appears) population-wide problems.

With a vehicle this sophisticated, I would hope it wouldn't depend on which transmission mode is active, but frankly, I haven't tried varying it to see if it affects a change.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I always drive in sport mode after car warmed up and always have shifter to the left. 1 second lag is there sporadically.. No issues on highway, seems to be first couple of gears and particularly following some brake pressure or with making a slow rolling turn after braking or slower speed lane shift. Mine is a 2013 35 and it's my 1 major complaint. Wish there was solution, but very doubtful as other forums have same issues.
      08-21-2014, 12:47 AM   #10
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

I thought this was only 35i issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #11
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
I've always thought that one of the best and most enjoyable characteristics of my X3 is the total lack of any acceleration lag. Just tap the pedal and it goes! I'd say there's less lag than on any other car I've owned. Also high on my list of likes is the smooth shifting 8 speed transmission. Go figure. Mine is a 35i though.
+1

Excluding Eco Pro Mode, I don't understand the issues people are having with acceleration lag. Never had an issue in my 2011 and none so far in my 2015.

Driving in Comfort Mode and want to pass? Tap left paddle once and gas it. Instant power. You are gone. Coming to an intersection to make a quick left? Downshift as you approach and gas thru the turn. Transmission will return to D on it's own in Comfort Mode, redline in Sport Mode depending on the amount of throttle pressure (before it changes gears) and in Sport+...you are on your own lol. Basically what I'm trying to say is USE that 8 speed. That's why it's there and a huge reason the F25 is such a fun drive.

Just finished the break-in, changed the oil and reset the transmission. This thing is a blast. Definitely heavier at the wheel than my 2011 SAP, more balanced at the front and noticeably faster.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all. It sounds like at least a portion of you are having various degrees of this issue. It's interesting to me some people report none at all.

That said, I believe I will mention to my dealer when it goes in for it's first oil change in another 4000 miles. I don't think it's worth a separate trip.

To whoever mentioned the transmission reset, yes I've heard of it. I'm going to give it a shot to see if it helps. I'm thinking I drove pretty gently the first 1500 miles or so and perhaps now that I'm driving "normal" things are out of whack. Makes sense... I'm also using sport mode a lot more, but like I said the transmission tip in on that is crazy. So...maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
Thanks all. It sounds like at least a portion of you are having various degrees of this issue. It's interesting to me some people report none at all.

That said, I believe I will mention to my dealer when it goes in for it's first oil change in another 4000 miles. I don't think it's worth a separate trip.

To whoever mentioned the transmission reset, yes I've heard of it. I'm going to give it a shot to see if it helps. I'm thinking I drove pretty gently the first 1500 miles or so and perhaps now that I'm driving "normal" things are out of whack. Makes sense... I'm also using sport mode a lot more, but like I said the transmission tip in on that is crazy. So...maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone.
You mention you have @4000 miles before you take it in for its first oil change. How many miles have you put on your X3 since you got it? Try the transmission reset and let us know how that goes.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 28i

I notice the lag in my 2014 2.8. When I go to sports its not quite as noticeable however when I take my wife's Sonata 2.0T and do a compare the X3 is like an elephant coming off the line, even in sport mode. However once you get up in RPMs the X3 pulls harder.
Given this I am always in sport mode in the city.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 View Post
I notice the lag in my 2014 2.8. When I go to sports its not quite as noticeable however when I take my wife's Sonata 2.0T and do a compare the X3 is like an elephant coming off the line, even in sport mode. However once you get up in RPMs the X3 pulls harder.
Indeed. Having driven most every major Mnfr's vehicles for over 40 years, many manuals and automatics included, this is the only vehicle I've ever had in which a lag occurs when the accelerator is aggressively pushed. This includes our 3 previous 3 series, 3 previous 5 series, and our 7 series. As mentioned already, it is less than a second, and then the engine 'kicks in'. Yesterday tried Sport mode - still a lag from a dead start when accelerator pushed hard, albeit seemed less. Hard to believe it is simply a learning curve for a transmission's software - seems more centrally rooted, almost as if a chip somewhere is first trying to analyze whether all tires are gripping and if it needs to send the power differentially to each wheel, or as if it is trying to calculate the amount of gas and air mixture, or ...? Also difficult to believe if the gas and air is being immediately mixed with the accelerator push why doesn't an immediate RPM and engine increase occur?

It seems somewhere in the circuitry, that signal to 'open the gates' isn't happening spontaneously, and may explain why some notice a longer lag than others. Just as 3 year old computers are slower than new ones, could it be something as simple as an errantly slow chip or board in those of us with this issue?
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 View Post
Wow. An elephant? Are others experiencing this? Are you stomping your foot on the pedal or depressing hard gradually? Do you have M-Sport or DHP? My head snaps against the headrest instantly. Yes, I have a 35i but the 28i is no elephant. I would get it checked out but reset your transmission and try that first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Indeed. Having driven most every major Mnfr's vehicles for over 40 years, many manuals and automatics included, this is the only vehicle I've ever had in which a lag occurs when the accelerator is aggressively pushed. This includes our 3 previous 3 series, 3 previous 5 series, and our 7 series. As mentioned already, it is less than a second, and then the engine 'kicks in'. Yesterday tried Sport mode - still a lag from a dead start when accelerator pushed hard, albeit seemed less. Hard to believe it is simply a learning curve for a transmission's software - seems more centrally rooted, almost as if a chip somewhere is first trying to analyze whether all tires are gripping and if it needs to send the power differentially to each wheel, or as if it is trying to calculate the amount of gas and air mixture, or ...? Also difficult to believe if the gas and air is being immediately mixed with the accelerator push why doesn't an immediate RPM and engine increase occur?

It seems somewhere in the circuitry, that signal to 'open the gates' isn't happening spontaneously, and may explain why some notice a longer lag than others. Just as 3 year old computers are slower than new ones, could it be something as simple as an errantly slow chip or board in those of us with this issue?
Back in 2011, there was a brief issue where the throttle response was crazy. It didn't matter what the outside temperature was...if you didn't let your X3 warm up for at least a minute or 2, it would fire forward with the slightest touch of the accelerator (maybe the throttle-tip in the OP mentioned?). It was quite dangerous, especially in city parking situations. This was a major issue that was resolved with a software upgrade on my 2011.

It took me quite a while to get used to the N55 coming from a Land Rover D2. I am certainly no expert and hope this gets resolved. It is obvious there is an issue with some F25s.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #17
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

For those whose cars are affected by this throttle hesitation, did the problem exist when your car was new, or did it start sometime later?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
For those whose cars are affected by this throttle hesitation, did the problem exist when your car was new, or did it start sometime later?
New (both the 2011 and the 2012).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #19
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1
Same experience here... And I've owned cars w/ zero tip in lag (E92 M3, for instance).
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
You mention you have @4000 miles before you take it in for its first oil change. How many miles have you put on your X3 since you got it? Try the transmission reset and let us know how that goes.

I have 4K on the odometer now and it's calling for a change at around 8000 miles. One thing I did try the other day was putting it in sport plus when I was going up an on ramp. In that case, I definitely felt a difference. I'm assuming the DSC/xdrive must be sensing wheel slip under normal circumstances. So...that's good. I still have the normal tip in that everyone is experiencing. I will try the reset soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

The throttle lag on my 2012 28i was very bad. In fact, this was the #1 reason I recently traded it in. As others have mentioned, it was very frustrating to push the pedal and have nothing happen for a second or two. It seemed unsafe, also.

I did notice, however that the quality of gas made a difference. Sunoco Ultra 93 minimized the throttle lag the most.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #22
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Satisfied 35i owners ...
Attached Images