BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Google Translate gives this for the last post

Quote:
This afternoon I called my salesman. You can select the options later with a activation code. This they will do now. The options are free, but they come from whatever reason, not automatically with the Navi and Bluetooth option.

Also, in my MJ2011 yet installed the 2010 maps. This will also have free will update to 2011.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #24
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Thanks sfax, I did that - I must admit that seems pretty clear too, guess I was looking for added reassurance.

Now, if there was only someone, some company you could ask, to get unambiguous decisive clear answers to question regarding the specs./condition of these options.
Ooo, I know BMW UK (not)
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #25
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Update: I asked my dealer whether it could be added later, I pointed out what I had read on the net. re. activating later on other model.
However, the dealer said it was not possible to retro-fit later, but also added - that, that doesn't mean forever.

I may still add it as an option, I can't see the justification for adding this option causing a delay, especially in light of the fact that adding DAB + 19" alloys didn't.. But I hate the thought of my ETD slipping by weeks!
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #26
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

More info from a dealer.

£95 for a three year subscription, renewable with Assist after that.
There is no retro-fit option. (strange - could change). You need Pro Nav, Bluetooth phone prep (6NL for X3), BMW Assist + Online portal.
Automatically enabled when Assist is activated on the car.
Data connection operates via the SIM (6NL on X3) and data connection costs included in the £95.
Flash, Java, (other?) features not supported. Possibe problems with some websites.
The best connection speed is via "Edge" ? Backup uses GPRS. Neither very fast? Page navigation is via idrive control. Up/down/diagonal, press to 'click'. Menu on left hand side for options such as bookmarks. Typing urls or in data filelds is via an I bar option and the idrive character wheel. Can only be operated when car stationary.

Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #27
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Speedwise, 3G > Edge > GPRS. Having GPRS and Edge certainly extends the usability as it can work in many areas that have no 3G. However, not having 3G means that in practice only "static" websites can be displayed due to speed limitations. On the other hand, I reckon this may be considered as a safety feature
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Can't believe they can't make it 3G seeing as pretty much any mobile phone contract with data has a 3G SIM.

Incidentally, does anyone know what network the data SIM uses? My dealer didn't know. Strange that...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Network is TMobile I was told.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. I think I may have heard the same but couldn't remember for sure

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #31
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Grrrr got this response BMW UK customer services:

Quote:
After investigating, I can confirm that the new option 614 Internet will be available to order from April 1, 2011. At this present time this option can only be factory fitted as it is a new hardware and software feature. I can also advise that this option will need to be ordered with option 609 which is the BMW Professional Multimedia Navigation and BMW Assist services.

Providing that your order is still amendable this option can be added to your vehicle with the following options listed above. BMW UK Customer Support is not a sales department, therefore, I am unable to advise on how the amendment would affect the delivery times. However, it is usually the case that the longer your vehicle has been on order the greater the delay can be, therefore, I would advise discussing this again with the sales department

They say software AND hardware

Though as we know they are not exactly clued up half the time, so potentially this info is wrong..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

A big caveat here is that this comes from the Ministry of Misinformation. If it's only available to order from 1st April, why has it been on the UK website config for weeks? Call me overly sceptical but I'll never trust any information from BMW UK again

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #33
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
why has it been on the UK website config for weeks?
Has it?? I thought had appeared in last week or so..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #34
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hardware - really?? A bigger hammer or updated chip(s)?

Just a thought, in order to move the mouse diagonally apparently you tilt and turn the idrive wheel simultaneously - is this function already utilised?

Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #35
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
Has it?? I thought had appeared in last week or so..
I think it was spotted for the first time a week ago so I assumed 2 weeks or so - slight exaggeration!

The point is that even the fact it's on there today contradicts the statement "available to order from the 1st April"

I would just be careful with any information you get from that organisation. 6NR, the energy regeneration dash, sports steering wheel, all cases where they got it completely wrong.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3Factor View Post
Hardware - really?? A bigger hammer or updated chip(s)?
Probably neither IMO. Refer to my caveat above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3Factor View Post
Just a thought, in order to move the mouse diagonally apparently you tilt and turn the idrive wheel simultaneously - is this function already utilised?
Will try on sat nav interactive map. You'll probably find it easy to use if you were good at Etch A Sketch

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #37
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

FWIW, I've asked them to spell out specifically what 'hardware' changes are part of the option.

I don't expect to get a satisfactory/useful reply
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #38
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
although quite how you would operate a browser with no pointing device or touch screen I'm not sure
My PSP, Blackberry and Kindle all lack pointing devices (mouse/trackball) and have browsers which are usable. Then again, I wouldn't DREAM of using them whilst driving. The thought of people tweeting to everyone how important it is that they're driving down the M1 right now fills me with dread.
      04-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #39
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
My PSP, Blackberry and Kindle all lack pointing devices (mouse/trackball) and have browsers which are usable. Then again, I wouldn't DREAM of using them whilst driving. The thought of people tweeting to everyone how important it is that they're driving down the M1 right now fills me with dread.
It doesn't work whilst driving anyway. Not used a PSP or Kindle before but a Blackberry has a QWERTY keyboard and may work OK for mobile web pages but can't see it being useful as a full browser.

BMW might surprise me with some pretty clever design that makes full web pages easy to navigate but for £95, I'm sceptical. The only way it would be useful IMO is an extension of the iDrive interface using web services for content. This already works well for things like Google Local Search now.

But then again for £95, it's a cheap BMW option so worth a punt

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #40
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

I couldn't resist, I gambled and added 614 to my order.

Luckily, at least so far, it doesn't seem to have effected the build week!
Although my build week has slipped 2 weeks since the original.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #41
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
I couldn't resist, I gambled and added 614 to my order.

Luckily, at least so far, it doesn't seem to have effected the build week!
Although my build week has slipped 2 weeks since the original.
Good work. Where would the world be without pioneering decisions like this one?

Appreciate 0