BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #45
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

Congrats on the Telluride, they will probably prove to be good cars in the end. Not for me styling wise, maybe after a refresh. I posted the cost of brakes simply because it is one of the easiest things to do, and can save you so much money if you DIY. People get hosed by shops when they go in for brakes, but shops make a lot of money doing them.

But, to be fair, the F25 X3 is a much older chassis than the Telluride and was equipped with some of the more recent safety features later in its life, so they had to adapt it for the car rather than already having it in mind while developing the car. The G01 would be a better comparison to the Telluride.

Of course the Kia has its perks, for one, it can be cheaper and probably better equipped than the comparable BMW X3 without options, but it's more geared for long term ownership, comfort and reliability rather than the BMW, but the BMW would out pace it in every aspect outside of hauling kids.

Cars in general are getting more complicated, and even those Kia's will become expensive to fix in the shop. We'll only know after they are 10+ years old and have 150k miles to really know.

Hard to argue the styling of the BMW. My biggest issue with almost all other SUV/CUV manufactures is none of them are sporty. And most only offer big sidewalled tires...

| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #46
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
Sure

1) Telluride is one of the hottest midsized SUVs on the market right now. Absolutely love the look of it and what you get for the price. 95% of the luxury of a BMW with a lot of equipment on it that is standard and would costs thousands to add onto a BMW (LKA, Rear cross traffic alert, Blind spot monitoring, lane following assist, lane departure warning, forward collision warning, etc). Btw, all those I listed are standard on the base trim level. So yeah, I'm this time we're living in, I'd rather my money go as far as I can instead of getting nickled and dimed over these features.

2) 10 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty, 5 year, 60,000 bumper to bumper warranty

3) with one child already and twins on the way, needed a bigger family vehicle. Telluride offers some of the largest interior passenger space in its class, especially the third row.

4) not willing to pay the premium tax on a BMW anymore with vehicles such as the Telluride out now. Especially with the Telluride racking up awards after awards, including Motortrend's vehicle of the year.

Those are a few of the reasons I'm making the switch.
I was in Florida over this past winter visiting family and there are a ton of car dealerships there compared to where I live so I took advantage of that and said before I lay out $65-70K on another BMW, I might as well go see what's out there (SUV types that is). My wife and I drove just about everything and towards the end, I said lets go see the KIA Telluride and the Hyundai Palisade. Now, I knew going in that neither of those would even come close to the performance BMW provides but its my money and who's to say only BMW can make a decent car?

So we first went to the KIA dealership....this is a typically sad story and its not even about the car We were greeted in the parking lot before I could even get out of my car by leisure suit Larry with his jumbo drink in his hand..honestly I though it was a customer but no, it was my lucky day to get this guy from Sales who chose me as his next potential customer. Now to be honest, I basically have a dislike for car sales people but I wanted to check out the Telluride so we followed him in to his office cube and it went downhill from there, pretty quickly. He simply did not know his facts and his sales tactics were very old school, to downgrade the customers current car in order to make what he sells look great. I'll spare everyone the details but we walked out without ever even seeing a Telluride.

We next drove to the Hyundai dealership just down the road and had just the opposite visit, a very nice sales woman whom we spent a little over an hour with. What a huge difference the sales person can make. Ok, well, we didn't buy the Hyundai, it was actually very nice and in many aspects I liked it better than BMW but I just wasn't ready to give up the performance. Thought I'd at least wait till the Genesis GV80 hit the showrooms before making my decision.

Both the Telluride and Palisade offer a ton of features for quite a bit less money than anything BMW offers. They are more of a family vehicle, that became very obvious to me when I saw the Palisade and for people like you, Ejryan10 , they are probably a better choice than a semi-reliable German performance SAV. Personally speaking, and this is coming from a 40 yr veteran of BMW ownership, you are probably making the right decision. Does't matter what I think, or others for that matter, its your money, your life and your family, you do what you want, as will I

I love my X3 35i and compare the others that I test drive to it and so far have stayed with BMW because I like the performance. The styling is so so and I put up with the reliability but as a second or third car, I can afford to not have the highest reliable car on the market.

Now, just one question.. .. did you consider waiting a bit and checking out the GV80?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:14 AM   #47
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
BTW, the brake thing was already addressed and I've already replied to it, so good job on beating that dead horse. Second off, my reply that I'm trading in game at least a month if not longer after my initial post, so way to just assume! God, one after another proving my point of BMW owners being the same! Y'all enjoy your life, after a year with this brand, it ain't for me. Peace!
Then you should have started a new topic instead of adding something that is that's not related to the title of this topic. This would have reduced many of the negative replies about your new ride purchase since people think you traded because of brake cost, but that's what someone with common sense would do.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #48
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Quote:
So you sir, are one big reason I'm dipping out of the BMW life. The snobbery that's associated with this brand is ridiculous, lol. If you'd bother to do so research, you'd find that the Telluride has won multiple awards this past year and that Kia's reliability is actually quite amazing now a days. But hey, continue to prove why BMW owners are mostly considered arrogant pricks!

P.S. me trading in my X3 has nothing to do with breaks my friends, my family is increasing by two with twins in the way, and fitting 3 car seats across the back row of an X3 isn't gonna work. So keep judging guys!

my post was meant to be light hearted and was only a joke

I did google it, and you're either buying motor trends suv of the year, or a Ski Resort (I low key hoped you bought a ski resort)

you're right about bmw being associated with pricks, but that doesnt mean other brands are immune. please come on my street ... and tell the owner of the kia stinger he does not impress me every time he drives by .... LOUD and "fast" ... I"ve owned an m3, sti, wrx, sc300 (supra in a gentlemans suit) and other decent cars, I am not impressed

grats on the family. I just had a baby back in nov and she is the reason why I went x3 over an f30. when and if we have more, I would too go up in size.... albeit I'd look at x5/x6/x7 but thats me

you're an adult. its your money. its your purchase.... OWN IT. even if it comes with ridicule ... OWN IT
Appreciate 0