BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lumber support

Seen positive comments on this. Can someone explain what it is and how it works? Can you get it on sport seats? Is it worth £250 if trips are never more than 2 hours? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

I'm going through the same dilemma, have order Sport Seats, but not added the Lumber Support Option, and am now reading in Forums of uncomfortable long journeys if no lumber support.
Would prefer a manual Lumber adjustment, but doesn't seem to be an option, don't see the point in electric, as only me driving, and how often am I going to adjust it.
Should I add to my exisiting order? £250 ouch!

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I have lumbar support seats on my Golf and it makes fine adjustments to the base of the seat where your lower back is in contact. I never use it and I think the other adjustments that you can make to the position of the seat have much more influence on your comfort and that lumbar support changes are barely noticeable. Just my opinion but I do have a slipped disc so seat position is very important for me and I spend a lot of time making sure it's spot on before long journeys.

That said, I have ordered the electric seat package which includes lumbar support! Sports seats give you extra thigh adjustment over standard seats. If I wasn't getting electric seats, I would just get sports seats and not pay the extra £250 for lumbar support.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

Agree with your statement there VikingOne, it is one of those things you rarely need to readjust to justify the electric function.

But as soon as you add a second driver - together with Comfort Access System (322) and Electric Front Seats (459), you will have a car that adjust the driving position and lumber support base on the key ID, how cool is that?

Surely, if you are on a tight budget, the sensible choice is to do without.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for advice. I think my sports seat adjustments should suffice based on the advice above. Keen not to miss something vital from my order but this sounds like it is not vital for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

We have the power sport seats without lumbar support and both the wife and I find them to be very comfortable. Of course, neither of us have any serious back problems. The power width adjustment is especially neat. Kind of makes you feel like you're in a vise. My wife is a lot smaller than me so her seat position is a lot closer to the steering wheel. The sport seats' big side bolsters do make it slightly more difficult for her to get in/out, but she loves the car so much she'd never complain.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Seen positive comments on this. Can someone explain what it is and how it works? Can you get it on sport seats? Is it worth £250 if trips are never more than 2 hours? Thanks.
I mean, I can't imagine you'd want to spend £250 on adjustable wooden logs in your seat. Talk about a rip off! Splinters and a trip to the chiropractor!

...Anybody? Hello?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
I have a lumbar roll less than 10 euro which i use on my E60 if i need the extra support.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I use to have manual lumbar support on two of my old mercedes. I think I've only really messed with it once or twice and none of my family members who have driven the car have felt the need to readjust it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
its no small adjustment - take my word for it, or go test drive an X3 with and without and you'll see what I mean. I didn't order it on mine and sure wish I had. it allows you to inflate a critical part of the seat. already did a long drive and about 3 hours in to the trip I could really feel the need for it (I have sport seats)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I mean, I can't imagine you'd want to spend £250 on adjustable wooden logs in your seat. Talk about a rip off! Splinters and a trip to the chiropractor!

...Anybody? Hello?
Wouldn't it be better to just store them in the back and tie them down?

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
its no small adjustment - take my word for it, or go test drive an X3 with and without and you'll see what I mean. I didn't order it on mine and sure wish I had. it allows you to inflate a critical part of the seat. already did a long drive and about 3 hours in to the trip I could really feel the need for it (I have sport seats)
+1 I've got full electric sports seats in my A5 and the adjustment I always use is lumbar support. Just the odd tweak here and there works wonders. It was a must have on the X3 for me, far more important than the sports seats.

I had manual lumbar on a Volvo S60 and that was a pain to adjust - so I never did. Electric adjustment makes it effortless and you really feel the value.

Personal choice, though.
      02-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

One really needs to try with and without lumbar adjustment as the shape of one's spine and posture determine if it's needed. I didn't have it on my previous E46 with sports seats and they were very comfortable but as it's standard on the E92 M3 I have adjusted the support up and down to exactly the shape of my spine. I confirm that the comfort is better so it's now perfect but to reiterate I loved the comfort without lumbar support too.

I assume BMW seats are all similar and so if the dealer doesn't have an X3 in to try both options another similar model would suffice.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Can always back off the lumbar support. Can't add it if it's not there.
      03-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Had lumbar support on my old X5, its a must for long journeys. If you have electrical adjust ordered on your seats its included.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
+1 with Nahoa & AJWilson - you can always just deflate it if you don't like it but you can't inflate it if you don't have it. my bet is anyone who orders it will use it often - and will be very happy with it
Appreciate 0