BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Trust me I know about the passion of driving. After driving the x3 the RR Evoque was off my shopping list. But the crappy throttle mapping of the 35i takes some of the enjoyment out of driving the car. The KIA with less power doesn't have this fault. I suppose if you drive it like ya stole it the throttle position issue wouldn't be an issue (at least for me). I did read somewhere about unbolting the throttle peddle to adjust the sensor to fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #24
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

No, I think it's good to compare a KIA to a BMW. We shouldn't get too brand-miopic and competition is good! And "value" has different meaning to different people.

For the OP: I think the X3 will age much better than the KIA, both mechanically but most of all visually. You can see that already in X3 vs Q5. If you keep your car 4 or so years that will be a factor.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #25
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Trust me I know about the passion of driving. After driving the x3 the RR Evoque was off my shopping list. But the crappy throttle mapping of the 35i takes some of the enjoyment out of driving the car. The KIA with less power doesn't have this fault. I suppose if you drive it like ya stole it the throttle position issue wouldn't be an issue (at least for me). I did read somewhere about unbolting the throttle peddle to adjust the sensor to fix the issue.
I can understand that. I am guessing the throttle mapping is for fuel efficiency but if its that big of deal to you then I can see that the value isn't there for you. Best of luck in your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #26
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Quote:
What mode did you have the 35i in? Sport plus is frikkin awesome! The x3 35i sells so fast up here in Alaska that there's a waiting list! I just find it to be a bit big for me, or I would have ordered one. I'm holding out hope for the x1 or upcoming x4.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:40 AM   #27
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Not to be harsh but comparing a Kia and Bmw is like comparing fast food and fine dining, in both your stomach is satisfied but the experience is not the same. I had a look at it was pretty dull to drive, suspension was harsh and cheap interior IMHO but 1/2 the price where I am. The N20 is already available on the X3 as a 20i not sure if available in Canada but the 28i is later next year. If happy buy your Kia for its you who would live with it
I agree with inamilk75. lbjgh You have to be out of your mind and truly don’t get the difference and hate to drive to say a KIA is = to a BMW or a German AUTO. A test drive is just that a test, If you can get one for a week or two then let me know how you feel. Yea the Kia & BMW both have 4 tires and an engine but the driving experience is so different. The difference in Asian cars and German cars is noticeable. German your more connected and its a more focus drive, most Asian cars have an isolated muted feel. KIA has come a long way, if you want reliable cheap transportation than the KIA is one of the best Asian cars on the market. The fit and & finish is nice but the material is still sub-par compared to most luxury brands. I can say saving money is not a bad thing in this horrible economy and a smart option for many buyers if you don’t have the extra cash. I have owned many cars but I think it’s strange when choosing a car to have a 15k spread between your choices, even 4k would be a stretch. I always try to compare Apples to Apples. Two suggestion’s get the Kia and enjoy the extra cash in your pocket I am not sure the BMW experience could make up the difference in your eyes. OR Two: Move from Canada which is a beautiful and move to a country where you don’t pay ridiculous taxes and tariffs that get attached to the cars you are considering.

Last edited by FASTTOYS; 12-17-2011 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #28
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
You have to be out of your mind and truly don’t get the difference and hate to drive to say a KIA is = to a BMW or a German AUTO. A test drive is just that a test, If you can get one for a week or two then let me know how you feel. Yea the Kia & BMW both have 4 tires and an engine but the driving experience is so different. The difference in Asian cars and German cars is noticeable. German your more connected and its a more focus drive, most Asian cars have an isolated muted feel. KIA has come a long way, if you want reliable cheap transportation than the KIA is one of the best Asian cars on the market. The fit and & finish is nice but the material is still sub-par compared to most luxury brands. I can say saving money is not a bad thing in this horrible economy and a smart option for many buyers if you don’t have the extra cash. I have owned many cars but I think it’s strange when choosing a car to have a 15k spread between your choices, even 4k would be a stretch. I always try to compare Apples to Apples. Two suggestion’s get the Kia and enjoy the extra cash in your pocket I am not sure the BMW experience could make up the difference in your eyes. OR Two: Move from Canada which is a beautiful and move to a country where you don’t pay ridiculous taxes and tariffs that get attached to the cars you are considering.
You have total confused me with the originator of this THREAD,
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #29
rgx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive 35i

Time to move on?

Quote:
I guess the title should read "looking at a KIA again".

I'm in the market for a CUV and the first car I drove when I started looking was the Sportage SX (turbo 269hp).

I drove the following cars in the following order:

Sportage SX
RR Evoque
Audi Q5 3.2L 6cyl
RR Evoque
BMW X3 28i
Volvo XC60 T6
BMW X3 35i & 28i (back to back)
Sportage SX

I will admit the premium brands do have a slight edge over the KIA in 'feel' but after my second drive in the turbo KIA I think I'm more impressed now in the Korean car than when I first started looking.

Out of the bunch the X3 35i had the best driving dynamics but the throttle control/mapping would drive me bonkers (I think). I posted a couple of comments about the bimmer driving impressions in other threads.

The Q5 was the softest of the bunch and the RR was the looker. At the end of the day I am having a hard time justifying the $10K-$15K premium over the KIA.

Anyway, I think the KIA is back on the radar screen... It's too bad the the N20 isn't available in the X3.
My wife and I test drove all the models mentioned above plus the Honda CRV, Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX, Infiniti FX35, and Acura RDX. The BMW put the biggest smiles on our faces during the test drive and we loved the look, feel, and function. It was about 10k over our intended budget but we couldn't see spending money on anything else because we'd always wish we had gotten the X3. If you didn't love the car after the test drive and dog and pony show at the dealer, then it's obviously not the car for you. It's interesting that you felt the need to tell us about your decision not to buy a BMW and why. Seems like your post belongs on the KIA forum. On another note, they make pretty nice looking furniture too but it's not very good quality IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #30
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i think you have signed up for the wrong site, this isnt kia forum does it have a forum like this i bet not lol

the fact is you dont come to bmw forum bad mouthing why u are not buying x3, its your opinion and you should keep it to yourself. if money is not an issue out of all the SAV why kia, did you look at nissan, toyota or benz.

i drive a bmw because its my choice and i feel comfortable behind the wheel and nothing beats 4yr maintenance program with privilege to get a loaner.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #31
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

the op said he was CONSIDERING the kia, and posted here to hear what people had to say about the x3. there's no point in bad mouthing the op or anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #32
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I can't believe the venom that is spewed by some members on this forum!

jk, you are correct I am only considering the kia along with the BMW and I am not ashamed to admit that. Anyone who discounts a brand solely on an uninformed perception is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
the op said he was CONSIDERING the kia, and posted here to hear what people had to say about the x3. there's no point in bad mouthing the op or anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #33
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

Why isn't the Infiniti EX35 or FX35 on your list?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #34
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

lbjgh, the throttle mapping isn't the end of the world. Play with the feel in normal mode vs sport mode for a while and you'll get used to it. In Sport the car feels quick, but not too aggressive. I'd recommend DHP also.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #35
jk
Private First Class
Rep

i, too, was concerned about the throttle mapping. i started a thread on bimmerfest inquiring about it. people replied that the tip in problem seemed to disappear over the course of the first few thousand miles. not clear if was the computer learning the style of the driver, or the driver learning the style of the computer, but everyone replied that it ceased to be a problem, and that before long they gave it no thought. obviously a test drive, or a series of test drives with different drivers, is not going to allow a computer to adjust. also, obviously a test driver or reviewer does not have time to become used the idiosyncrasies of the computer, so i relied on the word of the people who drove their vehicles for a period of weeks to months, instead of a period of minutes to hours.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #36
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Not to be harsh but comparing a Kia and Bmw is like comparing fast food and fine dining, in both your stomach is satisfied but the experience is not the same. I had a look at it was pretty dull to drive, suspension was harsh and cheap interior IMHO but 1/2 the price where I am. The N20 is already available on the X3 as a 20i not sure if available in Canada but the 28i is later next year. If happy buy your Kia for its you who would live with it
I agree with this more than anything. Its not a reasonable comparison on 2 cars with that much spread in MSRP. I am not opposed to anyone buying the car they want including a Kia - just doesn't seem right to show up on a BMW forum and compare them.

as for the N20 supposedly its out very soon if not now, someone in Australia recently posted what looked like some localized advertising for the N20 powered X3's intro down under. I haven't seen anyone on this forum who has actually taken delivery of one.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #37
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Kia is still regarded as a "cheap" brand here in the UK although their family hatchbacks and new sportage are getting better reviews. They mainly sell to people who are swayed by their 7 year warrenty here whereas most manufactureres (inc BMW) only offer 3 as standard.

The resale values here tho are very low on brands such as Kias and Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #38
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Guys, thanks for the information regarding the throttle mapping on the 35i. Perhaps it just takes a bit of time to adjust driving style to match the drivetrain strengths, gearing and engine power/torque curves.

I looked at the Infiniti and found the rear seats to be too tight in the EX and the FX is a little larger vehicle than I want or need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRevlis View Post
Why isn't the Infiniti EX35 or FX35 on your list?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #39
jk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Guys, thanks for the information regarding the throttle mapping on the 35i. Perhaps it just takes a bit of time to adjust driving style to match the drivetrain strengths, gearing and engine power/torque curves.

I looked at the Infiniti and found the rear seats to be too tight in the EX and the FX is a little larger vehicle than I want or need.
my problem with the fx is that it seemed the design was drawn for someone's idea of chic at the expense of usable space. i'm a form follows function kind of guy, not vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #40
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Some of this reminds me of discussions on Touareg forums about the Qashqai. I have to say the VW owners were a little more objective but you could argue the stern defence of BMW and the scoffing of even the mention of Kia in the same sentence speaks volumes about the brand. Call me vain but I would never consider owning a Kia or a Nissan.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the OP's original question but thought I would share the mytreg forum posts on the Qashqai:

Quote:
Well Rich, whatever you end up doing don't buy a Qashqai. A pal of mine has one and he hates it. Made of tin, cheap fit and finish, unreliable,very poor after sales support, biggest car mistake he ever made he says.
Wife just got rid of her quashqai. Great fun to drive, like a little roller skate, held the road well but jeez the quality is crap
Quote:
Broken parcel shelf, broken drivers seat, rattled and squeeked like a farm yard full of animals, the paint dulled, the alloys were coroded and the engine smoked like a bastard. Had full nissan service history, got it from new and after 3 years it was ready to be scrapped.
http://www.mytreg.com

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #41
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
my problem with the fx is that it seemed the design was drawn for someone's idea of chic at the expense of usable space. i'm a form follows function kind of guy, not vice versa.
the EX is the same thing - only smaller - it compares more to an X1 in size. or a 328wagon with the SUV lift and larger wheels.... The FX is larger than an X3 smaller than an X5, but as you said Infiniti finds a way to kill cargo space accross their line of sedans and SUV's (except the QX) apparently they have another SUV in between the FX and the QX in the works. I agree the EX is too small for me - so is the X1....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #42
jk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
the EX is the same thing - only smaller - it compares more to an X1 in size. or a 328wagon with the SUV lift and larger wheels.... The FX is larger than an X3 smaller than an X5, but as you said Infiniti finds a way to kill cargo space accross their line of sedans and SUV's (except the QX) apparently they have another SUV in between the FX and the QX in the works. I agree the EX is too small for me - so is the X1....
i put together a spreadsheet of specs while i was researching vehicles. the fx has 24.8 cubic feet of storage behind the 2nd row, 62 with the rear seats folded down. the x3 has 27.6 behind the 2nd row, 63.3 with the rear seats folded. which one is larger again? of course the fx 35 is cheaper, comparably equipped.

but btw, the fx35 has mileage of 16/21, while the x3 35i is 19/26.
and 0-60, the fx35 is 6.6, the x3 35i is 5.6.

and the ex is much smaller than a 328i wagon, at least in cargo capacity. with seats folded, the ex is 47.4 cubic feet, a 328i wagon has 60.9.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #43
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

KIA and BMW are not really competitors. Cars, like clothing, are an extension of your style/personality. I drove a Ford once but no matter I said...it still was a Ford. If you really want to justify buying a KIA...shouldn't you post in a KIA forum? Nothing wrong with buying a KIA but why are you getting BMW owners to justify their purchase over a KIA?

If you really really want value then buy a used car. Buying new cars as you know are really poor investments. Ya I know...my BMW is a toy.

Last edited by BBMk; 12-16-2011 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #44
CJ17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Tiguan? only 200hp and no diesel option here.
X1? a little too small for my growing family.

Any why post here?

I love the driving dynamics of the X3, money really isn't the issue and I'm not a brand snob. Someone might be able to convince me the X3 is the way to go.
No offense intended, but if you need to be convinced buying an x3 over a kia, you should just buy the kia. I just got my new 12 x3 35i and my last one was a 07 x5 4.8i and to me the 35i is a great value.
Appreciate 0