BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

hmm, now looking at a KIA...

I guess the title should read "looking at a KIA again".

I'm in the market for a CUV and the first car I drove when I started looking was the Sportage SX (turbo 269hp).

I drove the following cars in the following order:

Sportage SX
RR Evoque
Audi Q5 3.2L 6cyl
RR Evoque
BMW X3 28i
Volvo XC60 T6
BMW X3 35i & 28i (back to back)
Sportage SX

I will admit the premium brands do have a slight edge over the KIA in 'feel' but after my second drive in the turbo KIA I think I'm more impressed now in the Korean car than when I first started looking.

Out of the bunch the X3 35i had the best driving dynamics but the throttle control/mapping would drive me bonkers (I think). I posted a couple of comments about the bimmer driving impressions in other threads.

The Q5 was the softest of the bunch and the RR was the looker. At the end of the day I am having a hard time justifying the $10K-$15K premium over the KIA.

Anyway, I think the KIA is back on the radar screen... It's too bad the the N20 isn't available in the X3.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

I have to agree, the Kia is pretty awesome.

Why no Tiguan?

Or X1? (just noticed you're in Canada, eh?)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Definitely agree about the BMW throttle mapping.. rediculous.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

KIAs in general are really good value for the money, at least in Canada.

A friend who owns an auto-body shop has some less-than-complimentary comments about the quality of their construction as it relates to repairs to them once they have been damaged, but that is an anecdotal comment.

If the KIA pleases you, by all means get the KIA. Lots of people do. Good luck.
      12-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Tiguan? only 200hp and no diesel option here.
X1? a little too small for my growing family.

Any why post here?

I love the driving dynamics of the X3, money really isn't the issue and I'm not a brand snob. Someone might be able to convince me the X3 is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbg2d View Post
I have to agree, the Kia is pretty awesome.

Why no Tiguan?

Or X1? (just noticed you're in Canada, eh?)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post

Any why post here?

I love the driving dynamics of the X3, money really isn't the issue and I'm not a brand snob. Someone might be able to convince me the X3 is the way to go.
True, but the Tiguan also is quite tuneable, 15 minutes at an APR shop adds 50hp. I tuned my old mkV GTI, the APR tune is switchable from the driver's seat and can be access coded. I never heard a peep out of my dealer's service people, just put it in stock mode and locked it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMogX3 View Post
Almost all who contribute here have been convinced that the F25 X3 was "the way to go". Why not join us in our enjoyment of the vehicle?
Ya but I prefer beer to Kool-Aid.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
I guess the title should read "looking at a KIA again".

I'm in the market for a CUV and the first car I drove when I started looking was the Sportage SX (turbo 269hp).

I drove the following cars in the following order:

Sportage SX
RR Evoque
Audi Q5 3.2L 6cyl
RR Evoque
BMW X3 28i
Volvo XC60 T6
BMW X3 35i & 28i (back to back)
Sportage SX

I will admit the premium brands do have a slight edge over the KIA in 'feel' but after my second drive in the turbo KIA I think I'm more impressed now in the Korean car than when I first started looking.

Out of the bunch the X3 35i had the best driving dynamics but the throttle control/mapping would drive me bonkers (I think). I posted a couple of comments about the bimmer driving impressions in other threads.

The Q5 was the softest of the bunch and the RR was the looker. At the end of the day I am having a hard time justifying the $10K-$15K premium over the KIA.

Anyway, I think the KIA is back on the radar screen... It's too bad the the N20 isn't available in the X3.
Those Koreans are getting up their for sure. And you are right the value is amazing. If you like the Kia by all means get it because you are the one paying and driving it.

Isn't the Sportage similar in size as X1? And to be honest I can't see why anyone would buy a X1 instead of X3 28i. Fully loaded are not much difference as far as price. Also the X3 is based on an all new platform while the X1 is based on the E platform which will be replaced soon. So new tech vs. old tech.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

IDK, but to me the x3 28 isn't as desireable as the x1 28 due to the different engines. But then, I usually demand forced induction in my vehicles. They have potential if you decide you want more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Donno, my wife is holding out for the bimmer.

My wife and I talked about buying a new car every four years for me and then passing on the previously enjoyed car to her for the next four . I'm pretty picky about maintenance and the appearance of my cars (don't get me started with my defensive parking techniques) and my wife says she gets stressed out driving new wheels because I notice all the dents and scratches (caused by others).

The hand-me-down plan would mean my wife would get a like-new car every four years that she won't have to worry about.

The X3 is a great car but 'value' isn't in the equation when ya shop at BMW.

Quote:
Guess it is the Kia for you then?

Shame; such a shame.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
The X3 is a great car but 'value' isn't in the equation when ya shop at BMW.
i considered a kia. it is certainly the value proposition. i decided on an x3 35i knowing it was not a bargain. i decided, however, that it was worth its cost based on all of the real factors of which you are already aware.*

* i specify "real" because i don't care about brand or image. otherwise i wouldn't have considered the kia. i cast a wide net when i started my research: i looked at korean, japanese, american and european vehicles. my criteria were 4 wheel or all wheel drive, a wagon or suv form factor, manual transmission, and 0-60 in under 6 seconds. this last was because i've been spoiled by my current car- an '05 subaru legacy gt wagon, manual, which is capable of 5.5sec. i could not find a vehicle that met all the criteria, other than a wrx hatchback, which is a bit too small and noisy for what i had in mind. so i allowed automatics in spite of driving manual since 1970, and i considered vehicles that went 0-60 in under 7 seconds. i'm picking up my x3 35i in south carolina next month.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

You sir sound like the type of person people perceive as BMW owners.

The fact that I can purchase any vehicle on the dealer's lot does not mean I don't want value. Sheesh!

Quote:
I repeat sir, why are you on this site?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like your mind is made up. The sportage is great, but 30k for a SX awd with the premium package doesn't really scream "value" to me. If it was 5k cheaper, maybe.

EDIT: have you thought about BMW CPO? That's how I bought all the bimmers I've had. Wait for that first year depreciation, and the extended warranty. Saved at least 10k each time.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Any why post here?

if you are even comparing the X3 to a Kia, I won't bother to try... i only work on potential Q5 buyers to convince them to get an X3
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
If you are planning on keeping the Kia 8 years, you might want to check out how the bodies hold up. I've seen pretty new looking Kia's with pretty bad rust.
I got into a very minor accident in a Kia Optima that was a hertz rental car on a business trip the door panel is one of the cheapest i've ever seen - look at it wrong you will dent it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Why sir are you making these statements on this site - do tell?

I think the Kia looks pretty good exterior design wise and i checked them out after we had bought the x3. The Kia dealer was willing to give me a pretty good deal if i traded in the X3 for the Sportage,

Value wise it might make sense, but how do you feel in it?
I love what KIA is doing but I cant believe its as good. and I just don't feel very good when in it. No question the BMW brand has me sucked in.

I feel the same way about my winter wheels. They're MODA EB1's. I saved a grand but it sickens me that they're aftermarket tire rack wheels.

The interior of the Kia is weak and
the quality of all the details on the Kia is poor compared the the Bimmer...

I think in a few years Kia will be there as an overall package, but for now
there's a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

Quote:
The fact that I can purchase any vehicle on the dealer's lot does not mean I don't want value.
there are different meanings for "value." when i called the kia the value proposition, i meant that it offered a lot relative to its cost. it is in that sense a bargain. otoh, value can mean getting a benefit that doesn't exceed but is equal to its cost. the x3 isn't a bargain, but it offers value, within the universe of suv's/cuv's/wagons. and it is a bargain within the universe of bmw's.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

I was looking at the ford edge before ordering the 35i. The edge had a lot of "value" for the money and was a nice vehicle. I then drove the 35i and ordered it the same day. Nothing, IMO, drives like the BMW and this was worth the extra $10k to me to order the BMW. Value means different things to different people. On that note, I have a friend that is a dealer that buys cars from the auctions. He thinks I am crazy for ordering a new car as he can get me one that is 1-2 years old for a lot cheaper. I just tell him that owning cars is not just about getting the biggest bang for your buck. I realize it is for some, but not for me. I have no regrets buying the new 35i.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
Sylar
France
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i - M Sport - Loaded

Garage List
2012 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
+1 !
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Not to be harsh but comparing a Kia and Bmw is like comparing fast food and fine dining, in both your stomach is satisfied but the experience is not the same. I had a look at it was pretty dull to drive, suspension was harsh and cheap interior IMHO but 1/2 the price where I am. The N20 is already available on the X3 as a 20i not sure if available in Canada but the 28i is later next year. If happy buy your Kia for its you who would live with it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Kia Sportage has roughly the same size as the X1, if you look at the specification sheet, but it is taller. So if X1 is too small for you, maybe the Sportage is also too small?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by litt View Post
I was looking at the ford edge before ordering the 35i. The edge had a lot of "value" for the money and was a nice vehicle. I then drove the 35i and ordered it the same day. Nothing, IMO, drives like the BMW and this was worth the extra $10k to me to order the BMW. Value means different things to different people. On that note, I have a friend that is a dealer that buys cars from the auctions. He thinks I am crazy for ordering a new car as he can get me one that is 1-2 years old for a lot cheaper. I just tell him that owning cars is not just about getting the biggest bang for your buck. I realize it is for some, but not for me. I have no regrets buying the new 35i.
I agree wholeheartedly. There are some ppl, probably like the OP, who must have "value" (as defined by them) instead of "passion". I am on my 15th BMW, nothing drives the same, for me. After all, why does anyone buy a more expensive car than a base Toyota, Honda, Chev or Ford. They all have 4 wheels, a roof, and get you from A to B. If that's all you care about, well...

Fortunately for those types, there are KIAs et al. Happy transportation.