BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
stuartfung
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 20d M Sport XDrive

E83 X3 No Water from Rear Wash

hi folks, I have an issue related to no water coming from the rear wash jet. When I press the rear wash stalk, I can hear the pump from the front of the engine at the water reservoir but water comes out at the tailgate.
Does the pump need replacing?
The front washer jets work and also the front headlamp wash works just not the rear. There's no dampness in the carpet footwells on the drivers side wither.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
iamjamen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 35i, E83 3.0i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Swap the pump with the front windshield since you know that one is good. If that solves your problem then you know the rear pump has gone bad. You can pick up a replacement pump for cheap on Amazon.

FYI, I had a similar situation with the headlight washer pump. I could hear it activate but the fins in the impeller must have sheared because there was no pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

On my X5, actually the non-return valve located in the rear spoiler got stuck.
really easy to access - a few screws on the outside and the spoiler pops loose. I managed to make it work again by blowing some WD40 a few times and compressed air. Make sure you note the flow direction before you take it off.
if you cant make it work, you need a new one.
This valve is designed so the column of washer fluid stays loaded, otherwise it would take forever to pump from the front to the rear. The p/n is 61688220822
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Pascoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E83 X3 2.0D

I also have this issue, although I can clearly hear the pump working and see a dribble of fluid coming out.

I recently took the tank out, flushed it, and removed and cleaned all three filters (as the front windscreen washers also weren't really performing). The front ones all work fine now but the back is still dribbling. It's hard to get the back one fully flushing through as you can't hold it down for continuous feed the same way as you can for the front (can you)??

So maybe I just need to flush it a few more times and it might just be fine after that.

if not, suggestions for what to try next? Could there be gunk in the line from front to back? Can I flush that some other way?

Cheers

Pascoe
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 05:57 PM   #5
bobbert
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
On my X5, actually the non-return valve located in the rear spoiler got stuck.
really easy to access - a few screws on the outside and the spoiler pops loose. I managed to make it work again by blowing some WD40 a few times and compressed air. Make sure you note the flow direction before you take it off.
if you cant make it work, you need a new one.
This valve is designed so the column of washer fluid stays loaded, otherwise it would take forever to pump from the front to the rear. The p/n is 61688220822
I wanted to revive this old thread (instead of starting a new) just to add my experience to the community. My 07 E83 was first dribbling from the rear washer, then nothing (figuring a clog as I could not blow air into the line from the pump side with my mouth), then the fluid was coming into the cabin from that area. I took the tailgate trim off and found the pressure had popped the connection between tubes 61683404587 & 61683413354. I found non-return valve 61688220822 to be failed and not flowing either direction. I haven't tried ramming a pick tool to eff with it internally, since it's just $8 at FCP.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_1762
Appreciate 0