BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Cold Transmission Slow Shifting

My sister has a 2004 X3 2.5 with an automatic, 140,000 miles. The last two winters the transmission shifts very slow upon initial engine start and the transmission is cold (below 30 deg. F). I'm thinking about rebuilding the control module with new solenoids and pressure switches.

Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the fix?

Thanks in advance.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My sister has a 2004 X3 2.5 with an automatic, 140,000 miles. The last two winters the transmission shifts very slow upon initial engine start and the transmission is cold (below 30 deg. F). I'm thinking about rebuilding the control module with new solenoids and pressure switches.

Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the fix?

Thanks in advance.
I've got a 2010 X3, one of the last E83's made. Bought it as a CPO 3 years ago, and it has this same symptom. But, once it warms up, it shifts just fine. I think this is normal for these. Don't know about the '04 though.....I think the '10 has a different transmission.
Appreciate 0