BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Talking 225 Miles in the 35D M Sport

OK Just covered 225 Miles so far; after my steering problems the Car is driving just great, not pushed over 3500 RPM yet but even at that it flys
In Sport (chassis only) the handling is great round the twisties and after juggling the tyre pressures, I have found 35PSI front/36PSI Rear to be my best setting. No thumping banging/crashing just right.
Economy so far with some playing once warmed up= 36/38MPG
Cruising @ 70/75 MPH = 41 MPG.

The engine will need 2/3 thousand miles to start loosening up. but I am very pleased with the car now. It is so very quiet in the car, and on initial start up still quiet, not at all like a diesel!!, even from stone cold.
I am not getting any wind noises at all up to 85MPH, not been over that speed yet.

I have polished the Car with Collinite 467 Double coat, and it's gleaming.
The Heated Seats are very comfortable with the electric adjustments, and the Internet works like my computer or Phone, I can save all my favourite web pages into the Car and view when stopped.
All in All LOVE it.
I am going on a long trip Sunday through Tuesday, so a Bit more running in.
      11-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Glad things finally got worked out for you! Sounds like you are enjoying the X3..I would love to see that gas mileage!
      11-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Glad things finally got worked out for you! Sounds like you are enjoying the X3..I would love to see that gas mileage!
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

You wouldn't have had a chance to compare the engine to the 30d?

And I'd be interested if you feel/observe any difference in engine smoothness, performance, consumption with different Diesel brands.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
?.....and the Internet works like my computer or Phone, I can save all my favourite web pages into the Car and view when stopped.
how do you get Internet in the car? What's the plan?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
You need professional sat nav and the latest software.
      11-20-2011, 04:32 AM   #7
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Glad it now working out... I love my technology too so looking forward to seeing the net/apps etc for real!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
gemuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport 2012

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
You need professional sat nav and the latest software.
Can't find anything in brochure (unless I'm totally missing it!!) so wonder if you can tell me whether or not the n/s wing mirror lowers when reversing? My current 3 series coupe m sport has this feature and I'd really miss it if x3 doesn't have it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemuk View Post
Can't find anything in brochure (unless I'm totally missing it!!) so wonder if you can tell me whether or not the n/s wing mirror lowers when reversing? My current 3 series coupe m sport has this feature and I'd really miss it if x3 doesn't have it.
Only if you have the electric memory seat pack (in the UK).

Seat-adjustment, electric, for driver and front passenger with seat height, backrest, length and angle adjustment, with memory function for driver’s seat and exterior mirror for front passenger (with automatic parking function). Two individual positions can be stored for the driver’s seat and exterior mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
gemuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post

Seat-adjustment, electric, for driver and front passenger with seat height, backrest, length and angle adjustment, with memory function for driver’s seat and exterior mirror for front passenger (with automatic parking function). Two individual positions can be stored for the driver’s seat and exterior mirror.
thanks for the info dnw .... I've already ordered the electric memory seat pack
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

Although it looks like it's implied in that paragraph, i don't think you need electric seats to get the mirror parking function. Can't confirm because I have electric seats but I think it's a standard function.

One thing you don't get with electric seats even though the brochure says it's included is electric adjustment of steering wheel. It's manual (so no memory function either) which is a poor show - and a lie!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Although it looks like it's implied in that paragraph, i don't think you need electric seats to get the mirror parking function.
You do. It's the same on all other BMWs- needs the memory functions that come with electric seats. I assume its something to do with it needing to remember where to put the mirror back to after folding down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
One thing you don't get with electric seats even though the brochure says it's included is electric adjustment of steering wheel. It's manual (so no memory function either) which is a poor show - and a lie!
This has been corrected in the current brochure versions.

I've ordered electrics seats but wonder whether I should swap it for VDC or sunroof. Already got to 47k (before discount) so don't want to go any higher..!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You do. It's the same on all other BMWs- needs the memory functions that come with electric seats. I assume its something to do with it needing to remember where to put the mirror back to after folding down.

This has been corrected in the current brochure versions.

I've ordered electrics seats but wonder whether I should swap it for VDC or sunroof. Already got to 47k (before discount) so don't want to go any higher..!
That mirror memory logic does make sense. It's a really useful feature. I remember seeing it on a 5 series about 15 years ago and thinking it was cool

Re. electric seats, essential for me as I have the wife using the X3 too and I don't want to spend time fiddling around with the seat and mirrors every time I drive it - used to annoy me in our last car. If it was just me I wouldn't bother. I'm really pleased I got the sunroof but you've got to draw the line somewhere! I would need an extended test drive in an X3 with VDC to convince me it was worthwhile. Would be concerned about the floatiness when driving in normal mode

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm the primary driver but elec seats is one option I"ve always skipped and always missed... it provides much more adjustment than manual, doesn't squeak as much and for those times it gets shifted when in the dealer it would be bliss. Is it worth £970? no, but what are you going to do!

I have just read a couple of threads on 30d owners pleased with standard suspension setup and one video review on youtube where I could see it didn't have it (no rocker switch) but reviewer was equally positive, so I think I'll give VDC a miss. Probably would never use it...

So... elect seats or sunroof? hmm
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The sunroof is brill. I had electric seats on my last 3 BMs as they came with the package but my wife uses the same seating position as me so on the X3 I didn't bother.
      11-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm the primary driver but elec seats is one option I"ve always skipped and always missed... it provides much more adjustment than manual, doesn't squeak as much and for those times it gets shifted when in the dealer it would be bliss. Is it worth £970? no, but what are you going to do!

I have just read a couple of threads on 30d owners pleased with standard suspension setup and one video review on youtube where I could see it didn't have it (no rocker switch) but reviewer was equally positive, so I think I'll give VDC a miss. Probably would never use it...

So... elect seats or sunroof? hmm
Sunroof perhaps more valuable with darker leather interior because it makes the interior so much lighter. Watching your seat automatically move into position as you walk towards the car: priceless

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I dont think I would ever want to open it, shame there isn't just a panoramic roof option (fixed glass). The moving parts are also a rattle fest waiting to happen and I'm already a rattle nut

Anyway, we're hijacking johnbmw's X3 35d (all extras) thread!

Last edited by dnw; 11-20-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
pretty smart BMW. Another option BMW puts to make you buy another option. So to get folding mirror and left mirror lowering you have to buy both power seats and anti dazzle mirror

Back to this thread, Johnbmw6 how is the diesel rattle noise from outside and inside the car?

Last edited by Bimar; 11-21-2011 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #19
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I don't have memory seats but I do have folding mirrors.

I do get the passenger mirror pointing down when reverse is engaged. So maybe it's a folding mirror associated option rather than memory seat.

Btw. I want a go in john's 35d because my 20d picks up very well so that must be ballistic.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #20
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

Quote:
OK Just covered 225 Miles so far; after my steering problems the Car is driving just great, not pushed over 3500 RPM yet but even at that it flys
In Sport (chassis only) the handling is great round the twisties and after juggling the tyre pressures, I have found 35PSI front/36PSI Rear to be my best setting. No thumping banging/crashing just right.
Economy so far with some playing once warmed up= 36/38MPG
Cruising @ 70/75 MPH = 41 MPG.

The engine will need 2/3 thousand miles to start loosening up. but I am very pleased with the car now. It is so very quiet in the car, and on initial start up still quiet, not at all like a diesel!!, even from stone cold.
I am not getting any wind noises at all up to 85MPH, not been over that speed yet.

I have polished the Car with Collinite 467 Double coat, and it's gleaming.
The Heated Seats are very comfortable with the electric adjustments, and the Internet works like my computer or Phone, I can save all my favourite web pages into the Car and view when stopped.
All in All LOVE it.
I am going on a long trip Sunday through Tuesday, so a Bit more running in.
Many congratulations, johnbmw6.

How would you compare the handling of the X3 to your 550i, leaving aside the higher CG and power difference?

In addition, you mentioned that you had, prior to deciding on the X3, also tested the Cayenne V6 and indicated that the X3 creamed the Cayenne. Would you have arrived at the same conclusion if the Cayenne had comparable power to the X3? Or, in other words, if the Cayenne and the X3 had similar power/torque, would you still prefer the handling of the X3?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #21
letsddp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

On most BMW's the reversing mirror function only operates if the wing mirror adjustment setting is set to drivers side. So if the adjustment is set to drivers side then hitting reverse will mean the passenger side dips to see the curb.

If you push the adjuster setting to passenget side the mirror wont dip.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemuk View Post
Yes it does.