BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

What options or packages could you have done without?

I haven't placed my 28i order yet so I'm still playing around with the Build It calculator. The 37K$ X3 is now in the 45K$ range now (the options and packages are so enticing).

I don't mind paying for something if we'll use it, but some of the options sound kind of iffy.

There's already a thread asking for asking for advice on what options to get. I thought that I'd approach it from the opposite viewpoint; what options or packages did you get that you regret for whatever reason? Please provide your reasons.

Right now, my build list consists of:

SAP (for the seats and the wheels)
Premium
Split rear seats
Convenience key
Power tailgate
Parking Distance Control
Rear camera

The Technology package is the one that I can't decide on. I'm happy with my Garmin GPS and we have no need to turn the X3 into a mobile office so the non-Nav features of the Technology package have limited value. However, I love technology; hence the dilemma.

Thanks for your help,

Cliff
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Cliff, get the technology package. If you love technology it will keep you entertained. If there is one feature I COULDN'T imagine living WITHOUT it would be the tech package - especially in an urban area. I could not survive in DC without it. Very useful. Having said that, if you do most of your traveling in a small town and never need any extra info, don't get it. The integration with the car is superb and using the dial is infinitely easier than an iPhone or TomTom/whatever. Get the tech package.

I enjoy all of the features you listed, frankly. My car came without only one option - SAP - and I wish I had that one, too. Much nicer wheels.
      12-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
Cliff, get the technology package. If you love technology it will keep you entertained. If there is one feature I COULDN'T imagine living WITHOUT it would be the tech package - especially in an urban area. I could not survive in DC without it. Very useful. Having said that, if you do most of your traveling in a small town and never need any extra info, don't get it. The integration with the car is superb and using the dial is infinitely easier than an iPhone or TomTom/whatever. Get the tech package. I enjoy all of the features you listed, frankly. My car came without only one option - SAP - and I wish I had that one, too. Much nicer wheels.
Damn, this is not want I want to hear. I'm trying to save money.

Could you describe what you use it for? I have a iPhone for finding restaurants, etc.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Cliff,
Its up to you and its your money. I've owned several BMWs and love the engineering. But I've always chosen few options. Here's what I did:

X3 28i
Premium
Cold Weather which includes 40:20:40 folding rear seat (live in New England)
Bluetooth w/USB and BMW Assist
Roof Rails
Park Distance control (live in the city and this is fine - camera nice but not necessary)

I got into production just before the mandatory power tailgate.

I've got an iPhone with fantastic Nav already which I barely use.

Good luck! Love my X3 so far, just hit 500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Basically, I use it for all the things I use my iPhones for without having to put the iPhone in the paws while driving. I also have the iPhone cradle but find the BMW app virtually worthless so I don't use the cradle at all anymore. There's where you can save some $$. Honestly, take it for a test drive and see if it's something you need. I also have the BMW Assist paid for so I use the online search a lot. The news function is not all that hot but on a cross country road trip it is how I found out about that shooting in Norway this summer. Not worthless. I love gizmos, this is a slick gizmo. But - its your $$. I would stretch for a 35i in lieu of the tech pkg... Now that's a plan!
      12-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
Basically, I use it for all the things I use my iPhones for without having to put the iPhone in the paws while driving. I also have the iPhone cradle but find the BMW app virtually worthless so I don't use the cradle at all anymore. There's where you can save some $$. Honestly, take it for a test drive and see if it's something you need. I also have the BMW Assist paid for so I use the online search a lot. The news function is not all that hot but on a cross country road trip it is how I found out about that shooting in Norway this summer. Not worthless. I love gizmos, this is a slick gizmo. But - its your $$. I would stretch for a 35i in lieu of the tech pkg... Now that's a plan!
Stop it, Mike!! The objective is to identify ways to save money. Is that a difficult concept to grasp?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
power tailgate, want mine? its ok, nothing special. if you want to save $, first thing to cut.

you may want cold weather I for front heated seats my 2 cars, prior to owning a BMW have had heated seats... Northern CA has cool nights, I'm sure you want them.

my advice on the tech package is get it - its the only way to get rear view/top view camera - the stand alone is rear view only. as for NAV - its ok. I'm a techy geek, the first decision I made when I started car shopping over the summer was that I wanted the tech package. Even if I ended up w/ a Q5, i was getting Audi's similar package....

I personally disagree with the previous poster and would take tech package over a 35i.

now that you have all this conflicting advice, aren't you glad you asked? I started at a 28i w/ tech, premium, cold weather, sat radio, maybe convenience pkg. I ended up adding to that list 35i, premium audio, SAP and DHP and bloated my MSRP alot *do the math yourself from my original specs - and I have no regrets.

one last thing, convenience key is cool, but having to put a key in a slot to operate your X3 isn't that big of a deal, i would add 35i or tech over that. I'm sure the next poster will disagree, and have good reason for doing so.

Just don't start a color thread next. atleast the options threads are features vs money. color thread is entire personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
Stop it, Mike!! The objective is to identify ways to save money. Is that a difficult concept to grasp?
its not hard to grasp, but its much easier to try to sell your favorite features of your X3 to the next guy that asks than it is to scale back when its someone else's money
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I got almost everything on my car...

- I didn't get BMW Apps because it seemed super useless. I'm okay with that decision today.
- I didn't get the cold weather package but I did get heated from seats and steering wheel. The packages have since changed since I got my car. I think the rear heated seats were not necessary. I'm okay with that decision today.
- I didn't get the automatic tailgate. I'm more than fine with that decision. I figured that would just break.
- Jet Black Paint - I didn't opt for the metallic paint. I'm fine with that. Saved $500.
- M Sport Package - Very glad I didn't get this. The wheels look worse than the 35i Sport Package Upgrade Wheels and the added body work (replaced plastic on the non M Sport) is where all the road debris hits the car).

What I did get and could live without...

- Comfort Access... The car is automatically 90% there on this without getting the options. The engine starts with your key in your pocket. The option allows you to open the doors without handling the key. However I often don't use this because when someone is getting in the car with me they have to wait for me to get to my door to unlock the car by touch. It also takes a fraction of a second for the car to acknowledge your hand and unlock so it is just easier to use the remote. It is sometimes useful but definitely not a must.

Things I am really glad I got...

- Xeon lights / adaptive lights / LED Coronas. Standard on the 35i but I think it is $500 on the 28i
- Technology package. The top view is awesome! Nav is pretty good. Being able to send Google Map destinations to your car is cool too.
- Heads up. Its expensive and not for everone. I love it. Works great with Nav.
- 35i upgraded wheels. They look awesome.
- Sport Pacakge. Much better seats!

I know its a lot and probably not well organized but I hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I think you've got a fine car setup with your current options, although I would without a doubt add xenons. If you are paying for the power tailgate, then you could save by eliminating it, but if you're financing then you end up getting a credit for it and it's free. The comfort access is a neat feature, but I could easily live without it. I never thought I would order the tech package myself, but I was already getting PDC and then really liked the rear view camera on the test drive, so I figured since I'm already getting most of the package why not get it to ease my mind that I might regret it later. I'm glad I did.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Certainly agree with several posters you should get the xenons. Apart from providing great lighting its the only way of getting the cool "angel eyes" or corona DRLs. What I also added but would not order again are the bending or adaptive add-on to the xenons. The xenons give such a good sideways spread by themselves that I don't believe you need the steerable lights.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Certainly agree with several posters you should get the xenons. Apart from providing great lighting its the only way of getting the cool "angel eyes" or corona DRLs. What I also added but would not order again are the bending or adaptive add-on to the xenons. The xenons give such a good sideways spread by themselves that I don't believe you need the steerable lights.

Tony
You cannot get Xenon's without adaptive lights. They are one in the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #13
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
You cannot get Xenon's without adaptive lights. They are one in the same.
This may be the case in the US market. However in the Australian market the adaptive lights are a seperate add-on option to the xenons lights (you can't however have the adaptive lights without the xenons). If what you say is correct my opinion might not be much use to the OP, but at least someone else in those markets where you can separate the two options may find it useful.

Tony

Last edited by brissim; 12-10-2011 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 04:29 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I think the power tailgate and comfort access is as good combo for parents with young babies. Also great for shopping. However, I found comfort access a bit difficult if you have to open the rear door and have two stage locking. Unlike the X5 and the 5er there is no sensor.

The top-view I have got, I cannot do without - it is such a great feature. Even my wife loves it (and she doesn't play video games). I wish I had adaptive headlights, as it is a huge difference compare to my 1er.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

In the videos on US BMW site they tell that "top view" can't be used when it is dark. So I did not get that as we have always dark here In the morning when you get to work, it is dark and when you leave the office, it is dark.

And I have driven these as a job, I count on myself when reversing or driving in narrow spaces:

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Top view does work in the dark -- that is, when it's dark outside and there's very little light. Won't work in complete darkness, of course. Having also driven large vehicles, to me the Top View is no more of a crutch than a mirror. Both help you see what's around your vehicle as you guide it.
      12-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
A friend of mine has top view on a X1 and still managed to back into a wall. Doesn't matter what you have, you still have to use your eyes
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Very true! When it says "don't rely on the camera alone" or whatever, they're not kidding. The image can get blocked by items, warped by water drops, blown out by dramatic changes in lighting. I find the feature very handy, but you certainly do need to keep thinking!
      12-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you, everyone, for your input.

It's interesting that several folks said that they could do without the convenience key, while I consider that as my No. 1 option. I base that on my experience with my 2005 Prius where it came standard (I.e. not a $500 option - amazing that BMW charges you for it). It's great not having to dig into my pockets to open a locked door or to start the car.

This post has actually backfired on me because I've now added two packages (Tech, Cold I) and not removed anything.

I'm not going to get them, but can the BMW Apps and the Snap-in Adapters options be added later by a dealer?

Cliff
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

At the end of the day options, engine are all subjective. Depends on every person... some people will make use of a Tech more than yourself.

Financially speaking, although a tech pkg is more money a X3 with TECH will have better resale than a similarly equipt X3 with no TECH. Remember how Navi was not so uncommon 5 years ago? Look at every new BMW in your local BMW showroom or lot. Guarantee that most of them have TECH or Navi installed... for good reason.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #21
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Top view does work in the dark -- that is, when it's dark outside and there's very little light. Won't work in complete darkness, of course. Having also driven large vehicles, to me the Top View is no more of a crutch than a mirror. Both help you see what's around your vehicle as you guide it.
The only thing is that usually you guide your vehicle in places you have seen before, ie. you see things in front of you, or you saw them while you maneuvered your car to rear first-position, when you walked to your car, etc. You rarely start to drive in a place you have no idea what surrounds your vehicle.

Of course it is that you must have quite good visual memory and time-space-understanding of both your car's outer limits and the surrounding space.

People who do not have these "factors", may find top view useful. I am not saying it is not good option, I am saying to some of us, it is quite vain.

And if you test drive a foreign car, you find it of course useful as you are not familiar with the car limits.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Only one...

Cargo net. Not sure why I got it... but if you have dogs, it might be helpful.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0