BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Pro-Nav suspect Bug

I'm not sure if I've found a bug in the Pro-nav system.

I've noticed that when viewing the grey traffic map the indicated trafic problems are indicated on the wrong side of the road at scales greater than 450 yards.

I was stuck in a trafic a jam a little while ago and noticed that the orange line indicating the delay was shown on the opposite side of the road to that which I was travelling. I was viewing the traffic situation map view at a scale of 900 yards, if I changed scales to 450 yards the trafic problem swapped to the correct side of the road.

See the attached pictures, they where taken at the same time showing the nav display at 450 yard and 900 yard scales. The traffic display can be clearly seen to change from one side of the road to the other. Sorry for rotating the image, didn't have a proper photo editing app to resize the image on my ipad!

I've never read the manual for the nav system though I'm sure this is not a "feature".
Attached Images

11-28-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
5mph
Rep
Drives: X3

SatNav

The Pro SatNav seems to have quite a lot of valid uk postcodes missing, after 4th character you get a very long list, it will not let you enter the last 2 characters.

A lot worse if the postcode is in a phone address book since it starts trying to match road names and ends up a dogs breakfast, wrong county, or wrong country.

My 6 year old Garmin does a better job.

BMW would do much better to concentrate upon making just a display unit that works with smartphones rather than try and produce an overprice clunky system themselves.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Most of the time I now use the 'Send to Car' function from Google Maps or my smart phone. No problems with postcodes missing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Most of the time I now use the 'Send to Car' function from Google Maps or my smart phone. No problems with postcodes missing.
+1 Only ever used the post code lookup on iDrive a couple of times in 2 years. Send to car is the best way to do it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Can anybody verify this "bug" or is it just mine that's got a problem?