BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Volkom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Smoke on Startup- Turbo Oil Lines?

Hi- I've been getting white smoke on startup- not sure if i see tinges of blue or not. I'm 90% sure it's oil since the coolant level doesn't change at all but since the F25 doesn't have a dip stick I can't really check.
It's a 2013 F25 28i (N20)

I'm wagering based on past forum posts that this is an issue either with the oil line going into the turbocharger or the turbocharger seals themselves.

It's out of warranty but I'd like to figure out myself if there's oil in the exhaust part of the turbo.

Anyone have any pictures/instructions on how I would go about doing this?

Also, do I absolutely have to go to the dealer to get the oil line with the check valve or is there a way around that where I can order it from someone else?

Any insight would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
Gbm4th
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3.0E

Smoke on start up 2013 f25

I recently purchased a 2013 BMW X3 28i that was still under warranty. The car did not smoke if recently started but a large plume of smoke would come out of the exhaust for about 20 seconds if the engine was not recently run.

The service rep told me that this is a known issue with some 2013 BMW X3's and it was tho turbo oil line and was fixed under warranty.

Unfortunately, the oil line they replaced had a bad 'O' ring and oil leaked onto the catalytic converter 30 miles after the initial repair causing a fire. This too was fixed under warranty.

I would see if BMW would fix the turbo oil line even though it is outside of the warranty period.

Good luck,

George
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Volkom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Thanks for the reply, George.

Out of curiosity was your replacement covered by the standard warranty 4 years/50k (or whatever it is) or some sort of Emissions Warranty? I know the catalytic converter would have been covered by the Federal 7/8 year.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if the California Emissions Warranty- which has a lot more time/milage allotted to many more benefits, would apply to me in New York since I'm fairly sure that NY is a compliant state. I'm soon to hit 60k and 4 years so normal warranty is out of question for me. I'll probably send BMW a strongly worded letter

That said, the actual manual/warranty book does not include NY in the states listed as covered.

Now it's time to figure out if any additional statutes added are retroactive since the book states the turbocharger is covered by the Cali Warranty.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 09:22 PM   #4
Gbm4th
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3.0E

They replaced the turbo oil line as part of the standard warranty.

They did not replace any part of the exhaust though the fire came from oil leaking on the catalytic converter; just the pieces damaged by the fire.

Good luck,
George
Appreciate 0