BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
BookemDano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

New 2016 X3 with bad strut!

My new X3 is now eight days old and has a bad left front strut! I figured this out after just four days when driving of a smallish speed bump would result in a loud BANG. I took it in to my dealer last Tuesday where it now sits waiting for a new strut.

It is beyond belief that a $60K+ car (after taxes) can have this kind of problem. I expected that a BMW wouldn't be as maintenance free as a Japanese, but nothing like this. What's worse is that I can't help thinking, "What the #@#$ else is broken!?!" Are ALL struts bad? Has the car been damaged? Did I screw up by buying BMW?

The only good news is that they gave me an X4 to drive while I'm waiting. It's a decent car, but I bought the X3 because it fits my needs.

In any case, this is nuts!

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

Relax... You had some bad luck. They will fix it at no charge to you and you will love your car. Just don't let this one incident ruin your experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
dont stress it, if your not responsible for parts or labor costs.

enjoy the x3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

I am afraid thats what we get when a German car is being built in America..... not the perfect quality we were used to.
But a problem can occur with any car, even with a Rolls Royce. Dont sweat it. It will be fixed.
You will learn to love the car.

Last edited by Portimao318; 12-18-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2
I am afraid thats what we get when a German car is being built in America..... not the perfect quality we were used to.
But a problem can occur with any car, even with a Rolls Royce. Dont sweat it. It will be fixed.
You will learn to love the car.
That's like saying nothing every gets done in Europe because everyone is on their annual 30 day vacation or everything stops for the rest of the day at 12:00 for lunch...

The previous X3 built in Austria set the standard for quality and reliability??

Just saying in jest...

Happy Holidays!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Now where did that failed strut get manufactured?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
BookemDano
Private
Rep

And now for the rest of the story...

(That's a line from a long ago journalist)

The FIRST problem I had with the car was with the salesman. I used the BMW online configurator to create a precise configuration for the car. I sent it my salesman so that there was a precise definition of what I wanted. And that included LED headlights, which I very much wanted.

What he ordered had Xenon headlights. He said that it was a mistake. Whether it was a mistake or whether he decided that getting Xenons was faster than LEDs will never be known. When I found this out, it took every bit of will power not to tell him where to "deposit" the car. So I just walked out.

One major reason I wanted the car quickly was to avoid a potential loan rate increase resulting from an increase in the Federal Funds rate on 12/16. If the car was reordered it would definitely arrive after the 16th and loan rates would probably be higher.

I called the salesman back a few minutes later and gave him a one-time, FINAL offer for another $800 off on the price. I got a good deal, but on a car I didn't really want. I was hoping that the rest of the car would make up for the salesman's mistake. That was my mistake.

The strut is not Strike One. It's Strike Two! You folks have faith in BMW. I do NOT. So far BMW has not proven themselves at all. I hope the service department gets a good part and installs it correctly so that it reflects the premium price. If not...

Dan.

p.s. Yes, I'm PO'd.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

You are ridiculous if you think a car will not have any problems because it costs more. Struts are not a well known issue with these cars, but regardless, there's always a chance something will fail. That's why you have warranty. Hard to blame BMW. They don't even make the struts. And the part that failed is likely a $1 o-ring which was made by yet another company down the chain.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
It sucks to have a new car that has either manufacture issues (batch or one bad manufactured strut) or assembly problem (bad day at Spartanberg), or even something careless when they remove the shipping blocks. Who knows.
But shit happens, don't let that ruin your experience with new car or holiday mood.
Your car has been taken care of now.
I wouldn't sweat it unless there's more other small problems starting to come up during your ownership, then lose your faith with BMW.

I also have 2006 E90 in my garage and its still running strong.
      12-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I fully sympathize with you on this. As others have said, it will get fixed and all will be good, but that will not fix the fact that this fault has spoiled what should have been an enjoyable experience; and you can't get that back! When I took delivery of my car, the sat nav screen randomly would not come on when switching the ignition on. I had to jump through hoops with the dealer to have the screen replaced as it turned out to have an intermittent fault. I was without the car for two weeks while they tried to obtain a fault code. Once it was finally fixed, I got to enjoy the car for the first time. I am sure you will feel good about it when it is all done and the dust has settled, but it still doesn't take the stress away that it has already given you!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

It surely is frustrating when people drop the ball, or when early problems occur. I would be pissed too. I would have been sorely tempted to refuse to accept the car.

One thing to keep in mind for the next time that you make a custom order, no matter what the brand. Ask the salesperson for a copy of the order after it has has been placed, and compare it to what you want. I found a discrepancy on my X3, the interior trim, and was able to have it corrected.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
A1traveller
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F25 xdrive 20d M Sport

My X3 has has many problems, only 18 months old now
In the first week, i returned the car to the dealer, a lot of body panels required alinging by the dealers workshop
The dab radio never worked properly, replacment took a week in the workshop
Now i need a wheel bearing, and that takes 5 days just for the part to arrive!and they incorrectly replaced the rear diff and sent me on my way, when, once on the open road the noise was still there
      12-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We had an issue, in that the RFTs were not fitted to the car, we picked the car up and drove it 1500 miles over to France, then got a puncture - and yes we used BMW services to get the car picked up, immediately the error was already on the system, my dealer had tried to get hold of us but we had already left.
So the French BMW dealer sorted it with 2 new tyres, then our dealer sorted it so we had 4 RFTs and then we were given a set of winter tyres/wheels from BMW & the dealer.
No one was hurt, we lost a day in a wonderful village in France and ended up with free winter rims.. a lose/win/win deal.
If your dealer is half as good as ours then will make sure you are happy, one way or another, it really is not in their interested to have a upset customer.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
TonyX3driver
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 (2011), X5 F15 (2017)

Garage List
Hi, my X3 2008 had both back struts broken. Had big bang at speed 100kmh fully loaded car, 4 people.
After i jacked up in garage, found that second strut is also already cutted.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
BookemDano
Private
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I don't expect that any car will be perfect, however having a bad strut on a 4-day old car is totally bizarre. That only time that happened to me was with a 10 year old Honda CRV with 75,000 miles. But on a brand new BMW with 78 miles on it? Not even remotely reasonable.

But wait! It gets better...

The service department called me this morning saying that BMW had sent the WRONG replacement strut. At best, it will Wednesday evening before the car is fixed!

I should not have cancelled my order for a Mercedes GLC.

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #16
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Although I sympathize your situation.
But even if you ordered the GLC instead of the X3, you might be frustrated with other issues. And other dealerships might have the same problems of sending the wrong part.
No one can guarantee everything is perfect.
      12-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
BookemDano
Private
Rep

E90SLAM,

You are of course correct. One of the risks I would have taken by getting the Mercedes is getting a first year car. (This is the first year for the GLC.) The first year of the C-Class - on whose platform the GLC is built - was abysmal. Incredibly bad. But my expectations were that it would give me hassles.

Conversely, I got the X3 because all the bugs had been worked out in prior years. Those were my expectations. I was wrong.

If my X3 can be fixed to ride and handle like the X4 loaner they gave me, then I'll be plenty satisfied. Unfortunately, my confidence in the brand and my car specifically has taken a severe beating.

I'll post about how it works out.

Regards,

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #18
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
BookemDano, hope it'll be smooth sailing from now on!
New cars nowadays with loads of technology and complex electronic and so. It is hit or miss to get a car with out any problem. Hope your case is one unique case.

My Boss's F30 was a problem child also. Went to the dealership for 15 times or so for various sensors and different issues, on his first 18 months or ownership. One was even the dealership fixed something but broken something else during the service. Oh my, the frustration.

And yet, my E90 was first year model and its been solid and running strong. Fixed some known issues after 5 years of ownership (Head gasket, water pump), and just one issue of steering angle sensor and one ignition coil replacement. Just frequent fluid change. I was surprised, given the bad "reputation" of European cars of maintenance. It wasn't too bad.

Before getting the X3, I was looking for NX as well. While lurking around clublexus, there were cases of initial problem of stereo system stuck on full blast volume, or de-lamination of NAV screen. I guess no cars nowadays are "bulletproof".
      12-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I don't expect that any car will be perfect, however having a bad strut on a 4-day old car is totally bizarre. That only time that happened to me was with a 10 year old Honda CRV with 75,000 miles. But on a brand new BMW with 78 miles on it? Not even remotely reasonable.

But wait! It gets better...

The service department called me this morning saying that BMW had sent the WRONG replacement strut. At best, it will Wednesday evening before the car is fixed!

I should not have cancelled my order for a Mercedes GLC.

Dan.
I feel for you, been there myself with VW. Got the new car home and couldn't lock it. Was away for a week while they sorted the electrics. Definitely spoils the new car experience.

Problem is, changing brands is not always the answer, the horror stories are out there for most marques.

Friend had a Honda which was faultless over 5-years, on that record bought another new one. That one had an engine issue, (yes in a Honda), which Honda never got sorted, still there the day he sold it and moved on.

I had a new engine in my E39 540i, a random failure which I was surprised could have happened. Tested my loyalty in the BMW brand, but once back and driving it, (12 weeks later) was just as good as before and rewarded the same.

BMW's are not perfect cars, I don't run them wearing rose coloured glasses, but "eyes wide open". I extend the warranties when required and drive them because nothing rewards me like the BMW drive. I choose to run them even with their faults.

My present BMW is the best I've ever had, (still had issues), puts a smile on my face every time I drive, so am pleaded I've stayed with the marque.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

I am suprised that you guys have so many issues with new BMWs.
I got my X3 last april and since than the car is running like a swiss clock. I just hope it will stay this way...

I wish you all the luck with your new car and hope you will get to appreciate it.
      12-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #21
BookemDano
Private
Rep

I just got home from the dealer where the shop foreman thinks that this might be a characteristic of DHP. I.e. that the DHP suspension can't react fast enough when you hit even a modest sized speed bump at more than slow speed.

I bought DNP to provide a better ride and handling. I'm seeing the opposite! If what I'm seeing is true, then DHP is cr@p!

X3 owners with DNP - do you get a bad bump and noise when you go over a modest speed bump at say 27 mph?

Thanks for any feedback.

Dan.

p.s. My opinion of BMW it dropping fast! I'm starting to hate this car. I haven't the time for this.

Last edited by BookemDano; 12-23-2015 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #22
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

sell it.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0