BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
New York Times reviews the BMW X3

BIMMERPOST NEWS
New York Times reviews the BMW X3: If you’ve got the dough, the X3 is hard to beat as a high-jolt family car
COMMENTS

Many times when reading reviews on cars, we get caught up with 0-60 times, handling, looks, the typical things that are REALLY important in any car. But its good to take pause, take stock of what any given car is intended to do, and judge the car by those factors. And this is exactly what the New York Times has done when reviewing the X3, there is no doubt this is a family vehicle, and they go into their review with that mentality. And so I think they've given an honest and fair assesment of the X3 and they come out bullish on the small SAV from BMW.

Here are some select quotes from the review, make sure to follow the Source link below to read the entire article!
Quote:
BMW’s response is familiar, raiding its deep portfolio to strong-arm opponents with more power, luxury and technology. And if the X3 still isn’t as pretty as the Audi, it leapfrogs the Q5’s performance, along with that of every other crossover in this booming class, including the Volvo XC60, Mercedes GLK, Cadillac SRX and Acura RDX.
Quote:
Yet I’ll admit it: If you’ve got the dough, the X3 is hard to beat as a high-jolt family car. It’s manageable for empty nesters, but just big enough for married couples with one or two children. It is unimpeachably fashionable, but within the tasteful spectrum of curbside radar. And being a BMW, it goes like the dickens.
Quote:
Of course, most luxury S.U.V. shoppers won’t rush out to compare high-speed slalom times. So I’ll hasten to add that the X3 drives beautifully at any pace, with reasonable ride quality and steering that makes even a nervous driver feel indomitable. But the 18-inch run-flat tires produced a bit more road noise than conventional rubber.
[Source: New York Times]

04-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Probably the perfect vehicle for someone who wishes they could have a sports car, but who really needs a sport wagon.
      04-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Hecobb74
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Probably the perfect vehicle for someone who wishes they could have a sports car, but who really needs a sport wagon.
And doesn't realize BMW makes a very good sport wagon.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecobb74 View Post
Or hates the look of wagons and wants a larger car with minimal sacrifices in ride or mileage. Sport wagons usually don't sell very well in NA.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
This thread is true.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
But, they will become a believer...
      04-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Quote:
But, they will become a believer...
But the e91 doesn't come with an n54/5 unfortunately.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Yes, and I had one (328xiT) but the new X3 has the N55 engine, and more room/utility for my needs. The 5 wagon is no longer brought into NA. Lots of ppl yap about sport wagons, but few in NA buy them.
      04-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
But doesnt offer it in any interesting configurations in the US.
      04-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

They talk about the 30i instead of the 28i, but the review really resonates with my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

I'd obviously rather have the purists wagon, but like people have mentioned there's no good configurations here IMO and the utility with an SUV is quite nice...plus the wife/gf factor. She can hit something and it wont necessarily have the same effect with this one as a lowered 335D wagon on ADV.1's.

The car is excellent, especially if you are on horrible Louisiana (New orleans and Baton Rouge) city roads. What better than to have this to drive around everyday, any weather, tow the jet ski's, to the lake/dirt roads and keep weekend car tucked away for the real driving.

Yes the center of gravity is high, yes it'll never do what a performance based car can do despite what they "say." But I say, ride on a track in one of these with a real driver and SUV (SAV) haters will probably shut up. These cars are fun, the utility on top of the performance will make you smile a lot and you can readily modify them if you want more (the 450hp X3's will be a sight to see) ...
      04-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

unfortunately, run-flats and a lack of a spare tire caused me to not buy this car. I was 99% there but when I saw boot with nothing in it, not even a donut, I bailed.

Good thing too since I have had 2 tire incidences since January. i would have been on the side of the road waiting for help with the X3.

I still remember being stuck in the middle of nowhere with my e46 M3 and having to wait an hour for help while feeling like a fool --- explaining to my wife that the reason it doesnt have a spare is because of the quad exhaust ... =/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #13
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrito007 View Post
unfortunately, run-flats and a lack of a spare tire caused me to not buy this car. I was 99% there but when I saw boot with nothing in it, not even a donut, I bailed.

Good thing too since I have had 2 tire incidences since January. i would have been on the side of the road waiting for help with the X3.

I still remember being stuck in the middle of nowhere with my e46 M3 and having to wait an hour for help while feeling like a fool --- explaining to my wife that the reason it doesnt have a spare is because of the quad exhaust ... =/
I will buy a 2nd hand E83 donut for this and just put it in the boot on top of a non slip cover for i like this car that much. I hate runflats too.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
I will buy a 2nd hand E83 donut for this and just put it in the boot on top of a non slip cover for i like this car that much. I hate runflats too.
I had that going on in my M3 for a while but then I got scared that in an accident, the wheel would become a projectile and hurt someone. I would be even more scared of that in the X3 - especially now that I plan on putting kids in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

What's to hate about run fiats?
      04-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
What's to hate about run fiats?
Mine is simply firmer ride and mostly non availability of repair and replacement cost where I am. I understand the tech advantage just doesn't do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Yes, and I had one (328xiT) but the new X3 has the N55 engine, and more room/utility for my needs. The 5 wagon is no longer brought into NA. Lots of ppl yap about sport wagons, but few in NA buy them.
I loved my 535 wagon....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Mine is simply firmer ride and mostly non availability of repair and replacement cost where I am. I understand the tech advantage just doesn't do it for me.
Ah. Some of that doesn't factor in much for me here. They're more expensive, but not enough that it overwhelms the safety advantage and space savings. If I get a flat, I can usually drive 10 miles and be someplace where I could get it repaired or replaced or 30 miles to be at my preferred vendor. All over good roads. Not having to stop on a dangerous (traffic) road or iffy neighborhood has a relative advantage. I can see how other situations could make them less desirable, though.

Not sure I'm with you on the ride. I could just be numb to it somehow, but I can't note any difference in the ride or performance.
      04-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #19
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post

Not sure I'm with you on the ride. I could just be numb to it somehow, but I can't note any difference in the ride or performance.
If your roads are smooth you are fine, my roads are bumpy and you feel it, changed my E60 to regular tires and I got some back relief.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

I live in VA too and trust me when I tell you there is difference in ride. I had a set of non-RFT that I changed to for last two winters. Got same exact tire this winter only I reverted to RFT and noticeable no doubt. I am rocking stock sports tires in my 335i My tune though means I am eating these for lunch and I am sure I need a new set soon. I will research see whats out there when I am ready.