BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

2.8i DIY oil change

I was hoping to find information of a DIY oil change for the X3 2.8i. Couldn't locate a thread on this - has anyone done themselves?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No one has changed their own oil in this model?!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

this thread is another reason why this link below should be stickied!
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024645

that one is 35i, same steps. just double check the oil quart/liter requirement for 28i
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you; I saw the 35i thread but wasn't sure if it was applicable for the 28i.

I know for Saabs the procedure was quite different between the 4 cyl and 6.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

You should probably order the oil filter tool. The oil bolt is probably the same size. The location for the 4cyl is probably slightly different. The one thing I was surprised about coming from the E90 was that the E90s was obvious for oil . The X3 oil location plastic flap on the under tray didn't seem like it was large enough to allow draining, but it was fine.
Don't forget to mark the oil cap to line up later when you are tightening ( if you don't have a torque wrench and know the value).
You may be able to find out how much oil it takes by either using the on board user manual or asking autozone or the BMW service counter for how many quarts to buy and fill.
Good luck and take pictures to post here!
      06-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
You should probably order the oil filter tool. The oil bolt is probably the same size. The location for the 4cyl is probably slightly different. The one thing I was surprised about coming from the E90 was that the E90s was obvious for oil . The X3 oil location plastic flap on the under tray didn't seem like it was large enough to allow draining, but it was fine.
Don't forget to mark the oil cap to line up later when you are tightening ( if you don't have a torque wrench and know the value).
You may be able to find out how much oil it takes by either using the on board user manual or asking autozone or the BMW service counter for how many quarts to buy and fill.

Thanks for the additional info! That's the sort of stuff I was hoping for.

Actually I will have coverage up to Jan 2018, but once I have to pay, I'll do it myself.

Are there preferred oil / filter brands? And dealers for those?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post

Thanks for the additional info! That's the sort of stuff I was hoping for.

Actually I will have coverage up to Jan 2018, but once I have to pay, I'll do it myself.

Are there preferred oil / filter brands? And dealers for those?
I use what's off the shelf when there is a special , like the full synthetic Mobil 1 that is LL01 long life approved. I buy 3 of the 5 qts=15. It gives me 2 oil changes plus enough for top offs.
I shop ECS tuning for the filter under the Mann brand part 11427566327 (OEM part number) $9.49 , but cross shop FCP euro and see its $9.39 with free shipping over $49.
So I buy enough filters for both my cars since they use the same.

I think the N52 and N20 on the 28i model share the same filter number as above on ECS tuning. I put in different year models and the same OEM part number appears.

Each oil filter comes with new rubber rings and a crush washer.