BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
szap
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Drivetrain malfunction error diagnosis

I have a 20014 BMW x3 4 cyl. Last Saturday I was on the highway and the car started shaking. A short time later the Drive train malfunction drive moderately message came up. I was 50 miles from a dealer so continued to drive at a moderate speed (40 - 50). I had to stop once for gas and the car started backup fine. I took it to a dealer that had their garage open on a Saturday. While there the car seemed to idle fine. The service center manager originally said the problem was spark pugs. I left the car with them and a short while later he called back and said that it wasn't the spark plugs and they would have to do another diagnostic on Monday. Tuesday they called and said that the engine had to be rebuilt. He said there were several other things and the cost would be $14000. Just looking for others thought about this.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Google N20 timing chain, you'll understand quite quickly. Very common and expensive problem that has a class action lawsuit.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
szap
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

A question. Will the engine run if the timing chains are not working?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
The timing chain guide failure happens in one of two ways. 1. It spontaneously fails and seizes the engine, 2. It breaks of a small piece causing the timing chain to become slack. The more you drive it, the worse it gets. That can also cause the engine to seize but you have some warning before it ultimately dies. And if the timing chain and guide is broken, the engine will not work.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

It really depends on how far out of time it is and the extent of the timing chain "failure" if that's what it is. I believe the dealer is likely correct.

Keep in mind this engine also employs a chain driven oil pump that can also fail.

Did you get any other errors or lights? Oil pressure light? Anyway, guide failure generally means damage no matter what.

Certainly they can do better than $14k. If you are outside the class action mileage certainly see if they can do something in regards to good will. My car's previous owner only paid about a third of engine replacement and that was before the settlement.
Appreciate 0