BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
atwnsw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e46

Vibration/Humming when A/C on Maximum Fan Speed....What should I do?

Hi Everybody,

My car is making a vibration/humming noise which gets progressively louder as the a/c fan is turned up high. At low to med speeds, you don't hear it but only near or at max fan speed. The vibration can be felt on the center console. It is not mechanical like the fan is dying but rather more like a piece of debris is inside the vents and vibrating (think of blowing a blade of grass).

How can I inspect or clean where there is possible debris causing this noise? From the outside or inside the car?

Thanks in advance for your help for guidance on what to do next.

Anthony
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
biglesias31
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwnsw View Post
Hi Everybody,

My car is making a vibration/humming noise which gets progressively louder as the a/c fan is turned up high. At low to med speeds, you don't hear it but only near or at max fan speed. The vibration can be felt on the center console. It is not mechanical like the fan is dying but rather more like a piece of debris is inside the vents and vibrating (think of blowing a blade of grass).

How can I inspect or clean where there is possible debris causing this noise? From the outside or inside the car?

Thanks in advance for your help for guidance on what to do next.

Anthony
Inside under the passenger side dash. That's where the blower motor is. There should be a couple of screws (T20 I believe) holding it in. Just drop the blower motor down and u should see debris in there. I haven't had to take one out yet on a G01 but that will surely change lol
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
atwnsw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e46

Problem solved. Removed passenger outside air filter and found this piece of debris/tape/insulation inside that must have been vibrating at high speeds. I will replace the air filter and call it a day.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Appreciate 0