BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2021, 03:47 AM   #1
bobwoj
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2015 2.0xDrive

Non runflat with BMW Approved star marked tyres

I want to change my run flat tires to non-run flat tires. I currently have staggered tires. Front 245/45 R19, rear 275/40 R19. The car has Xdrive and should have BMW Approved star marked tyres. Does anyone have staggered star marked tyres of this size?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

As I understand it, BMW approves both Run Flat and non-run flat tires. I'm not sure what the differences are between the US and Poland, but you should be able to look up online or contact BMW and find out what tires BMW approves.
      04-11-2021, 02:28 AM   #3
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

From general research, I know that BMW approves both runflats and non runflats as Star Marked tires. The issue for you is whether there are Star Marked non runflats for a given vehicle.

I went to Tire Rack website and checked out all tires they had available for my 2017 X3 xdrive 35i. A total of 112 tires popped up, both runflats and non runflats. A handful of them were BMW Star Marked tires. All Star Marked tires available for my X3 on Tire Rack were runflats.
      05-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
x3robx3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Only this week I have put non run flats on my X3 (same size tyres as yours)
I did Michellin Primacy 3 at the front and Yokohama Advan Sport V105 on the rear. Since putting the rear ones on I have an issue when I accelerate from stationary that feels like the rear of the car pulls back or has friction . Ive spoken to BMW and they said as long as the tyres are the same on each axle then it should be fine and are now saying I should book it in as it could be the transfer box. However only 10 minutes before chaning the tyre from RF Hankook tyres there was no issue at all. I think the x drive is really sensitive to certain tyre changes. I have no idea what to do next other than go an put RF's back on the car
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

You are fine with non-RF tires. However, you should have the exact same tire all the way around the vehicle. Particularly with the sensitive nature of the AWD system, identical tires in all four spots is the way to go. I am very surprised BMW is advising to have the transfer case looked at. I would start by updating EITHER your front or rear tires to the same: either go all 4 with the Michelin Primacy 3 or all 4 with the Yokohama Advan Sport v105’s. If the problem is gone, you have your answer. If not, then maybe consider trouble shooting other items such as the rear transfer case, etc...
      05-21-2021, 12:39 AM   #6
x3robx3
Rep

Morning guys and thanks for all the responses .

Quick update on this . I put the run flats back on the rear and then purchased the same make/model for the front and the problem has gone away . Shame I couldn't get to run Non RF the issue I had was that the non rf's I had on the front I couldn't buy for the rear and the ones I had on the rear I couldn't get on the front , hence reverting back to RF's.

Thanks again for all your advice .
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:18 AM   #7
x3robx3
Rep

Morning guys and thanks for all the responses .

Quick update on this . I put the run flats back on the rear and then purchased the same make/model for the front and the problem has gone away . Shame I couldn't get to run Non RF the issue I had was that the non rf's I had on the front I couldn't buy for the rear and the ones I had on the rear I couldn't get on the front , hence reverting back to RF's.

Thanks again for all your advice .
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
racey1979
Rep
Drives: F25 BMW X3 35D 2016

I have just fitted non run flat Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to our X3 35D. 245 40 2 fronts & 275 35 20 rears. The difference is night and day compared to the old Pirelli run flats. The rears are star marked but the fronts aren't, as they don't do the star approval that size. I measured the circumference difference between fronts and rears and the difference was less than 10mm, which is about 0.4%. The car drives lovely now, we did have a shudder when accelerating but I had the transfer case oil replaced which resolved the problem. This was done before I fitted the new Michelins.
Appreciate 0