BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #67
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Bumping this due to the fact the X3 center console rattles/creaks more than any car/BMW I've ever owned. Furthermore, I have an exhaust rattle at idle in every gear but Park.

I'm going to have my Indy take a look in a few weeks. Really a let down that the car is this noisy. Our 12 year old ZHP fit and finish is light years better.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #68
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

For what it's worth, after 80k miles my X3 is still silent when it comes to rattles.

I did have an exhaust rattle, turns out it was a loose vacuum tube to the exhaust flap mechanism, so it wasn't being held shut and was rattling.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #69
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
I have a small rattle at idle - it seems to be the airbox knocking against the frame. I've pushed some dense foam into various gaps and it is improved but not gone. Noise is only at idle in gear - put it in neutral (rpms slightly increase) and its gone.

2011 x3 2.8i with ~52k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #70
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

Had 2011 X3 X35i for 3 years, no weird noises at all with that car. Recently picked up a 15 CPO X3 X35i, and there is dull creaking noise that seems to come from front driver side door. Could this be pana roof creaking that somehow resonate in a way to sound like it is coming from the doors? I just picked it up and would hate to go to dealer for it.

BTW, really not enjoying the maintenance program not transferring to the next owner.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #71
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettertomorrow View Post
Had 2011 X3 X35i for 3 years, no weird noises at all with that car. Recently picked up a 15 CPO X3 X35i, and there is dull creaking noise that seems to come from front driver side door. Could this be pana roof creaking that somehow resonate in a way to sound like it is coming from the doors? I just picked it up and would hate to go to dealer for it.

BTW, really not enjoying the maintenance program not transferring to the next owner.
I think I have the noise, however I'm convinced it occurred after the front windows were tinted, in order to tint the window they take out the weatherstrip that sits in the door, thats where I believe the noise is coming from, its much worse when the body flexes.
      11-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #72
mikeysix
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F30 318d m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMy335i View Post
I managed to fix the rear rattle over bumps. It drove me insane to the point that I asked a friend to sit in the trunk and identify the source...it was the tailgate! The noise was tin / metal like knocking every time I drove over a hard enough bump. Especially loud when there was a bit of body flex. I tried everything prior to the fix below including stripping and removing tools, covers etc. The fix is as follows:

If you open the tailgate you will notice that there are 2 black rubber stoppers on the body just above the tail lights. These stoppers are adjustable. I've noticed that if the differential adjustment is such that one side of the tailgate is slightly higher than the other, that the weight of the tailgate causes the clunk when the body moves in just the right way. I experiement by adjusting the stoppers a few times and voila - after 3 or 4 times, noise was gone.

The only noise - now have is a light bizz/ rattle when I take off and sometimes at speed. Seems to be centre speaker or somewhere around that area.

Hey sorry to dig up and old thread but the light buzz rattle from the top speaker dash area, did you ever find the problem?
Appreciate 0