BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
julienjj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcrane View Post
Not sure about the 30 trim price point, but the m40i is a pretty decent deal when compared to GLC 43, SQ5 or Macan S with similar equipment, and the Macan S doesn't have available automatic braking.
Not having electronic nanies seems more like a feature than a downside to me.
Gone : 135i 2008 | Gone : 2008 535i Touring|
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #24
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by julienjj View Post
Are we talking about the braking that only activates when a crash is imminent? Or braking as a part of cruise control, or something else? It seems odd to me that being free to have a full frontal impact if you want is considered a feature.
Appreciate 3
bwcooper179.00
DaBurn15.00
kozzi927.00
      12-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #25
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Ever since the X3 came out, there has always been this bashing of this model by BMW owners of other models and that always irked me. From day one, X3 owners were looked at as something "lesser" than themselves. It's not as much nowadays, but this post brings me back to when I got my first X3 in 2007 - even to the extent of comments that a man wouldn't be caught dead driving a X3, and that it was something for his wife. If you look back at the posts from the early 2000s about this car on this forum and others, you'll see those comments. Even people buying X3s were sometimes shamed into claiming it wasn't for them. My dad (RIP) had a 5 series and I think even he questioned my decision back then.

I guess things haven't changed so much with some folks. You're going to have your old-school M fans that abhor anything not M, and certainly anything that is M-performance and not M-powered. Then you'll have the 3/5/x series fans that still think the X3 is an eyesore and an insult to BMW. that's basically how the BMW fandom has been, despite the X3 rising up in stature especially after competitors starting coming out with their own luxury compact SUVs.

I admit I'm X3 biased. I was single for a good portion of X3 ownership and it gives me a nice ride with good utility that also made me feel like I was driving a car. I like how it looks, and since I am a tech-head, I really like what they've done inside. The X3 still makes the most sense for me right now, however let's stop it with the X3 owners are not real BMW fans mentality.
The thing that bothers me about the X3 is its looks They have that squarrish unfinished shape...same goes for the GLK-GLC they're good cars drive well but not sexy. My brother just showed up right now with an X1 rental it looks way better then the X3. The Q5 looks way better then any gen X3. Sure it will drive well but the styling is not Bmw greatest. Might appeal to some people but I'm not of of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 12-01-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, X3 M40i

Quote:
I understand why one might react that way, but the reality is that in certain cases nannies are just better than humans. It’s only a matter of time until this is standard, like ABS. I prefer for the family car to have all the risk mitigating safety features that are reasonably available.
Appreciate 1
bwcooper179.00
      12-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #27
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
The thing that bothers me about the X3 is its looks They have that squarrish unfinished shape...same goes for the GLK-GLC they're good cars drive well but not sexy. My brother just showed up right now with an X1 rental it looks way better then the X3. The Q5 looks way better then any gen X3. Sure it will drive well but the styling is not Bmw greatest. Might appeal to some people but I'm not of of those.
I get this. I’d give sq5 the aesthetic edge were it notnfor the fake exhausts, which are impossible for me to overlook.

That said, not sure all the 3/4 series cars are so beautiful either. To me, a great BMW is much more about driving dynamics and utility than aesthetics. That’s why I love my 235i so much. Not the sexiest coupe around, but absurdly fun and fits the kids.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 01:13 AM   #28
mathan416
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I like how it looks, and since I am a tech-head, I really like what they've done inside. The X3 still makes the most sense for me right now, however let's stop it with the X3 owners are not real BMW fans mentality.
To me, this version X3 was the vehicle that my husband and I were both looking for. I wanted the tech of the 5-series, he wanted something that was tall, and easy to get into. We don't like big vehicles like the X5, and having come from a MINI the X1 was too small.

It's the perfect vehicle for where we're at. I like the looks and the design of it.
Appreciate 3
bwcooper179.00
Eighty18.50
      12-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #29
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude2018 View Post
Quote:
Not sure about the 30 trim price point, but the m40i is a pretty decent deal when compared to GLC 43, SQ5 or Macan S with similar equipment, and the Macan S doesn't have available automatic braking.
The fact that some people are getting $8k off of MSRP on these models makes the price much more attractive. However, I agree with the OP's sentiments - I'm not paying big bucks for a 4-cylinder, especially an SUV.
Lots of people are willing to. We've been selling these like crazy with zero deals. M40i are gone before they show up it seems lol. For what it's worth I think they are the best looking X3 Gen and the M40i looks amazing.
I beg to differ. I really wanted to get this car to replace my Mini Cooper since my kid is growing but after seeing them come in and especially the M40i and how dorky that front end looks like, I'm going to have to get the wife something else and take her X5 for me.
      12-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #30
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i carbon black

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
I was hoping to like the styling a bit more. An m40 arrived on the floor of my dealer and it was nice, but I wasn't "gaga" over her exterior. I've been torn on this or the f-pace which I feel has excellent styling.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #31
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B777flyboy View Post
I was hoping to like the styling a bit more. An m40 arrived on the floor of my dealer and it was nice, but I wasn't "gaga" over her exterior. I've been torn on this or the f-pace which I feel has excellent styling.
Agree. F pace looks beautiful. I think X3 is middle of the pack aesthetically. I think I’d rank the aesthetics of SUVs in this setment as follows:

F pace
Stelvio
XC60
Macan
GLC / X3
SQ5
RDX
NX
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #32
dk10438
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

I had an fpace s in order but just cancelled it in favor of the M40i. The jag looks and drives great but in the end the x3 was a little better for us for the following

BMW better mpg and bigger tank ( jag owners getting 17-18 with a 16 gallon tank)
BMW has better anti collision safety features
BMW has better resale value
BMW is a little smaller (better for wife)
BMW is about 6k cheaper
BMW has CarPlay

So the only thing jag had going for it was looks and a slightly sportier ride.
Appreciate 1
bwcooper179.00
      12-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #33
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude2018 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoog View Post
Lots of people are willing to. We've been selling these like crazy with zero deals. M40i are gone before they show up it seems lol. For what it's worth I think they are the best looking X3 Gen and the M40i looks amazing.
Oh, I have no doubt it will sell well. Having driven a bunch of 4-bangers as rentals, and driving them as rentals..., I know that the modern 4-cylinder has come a long way from my 1982 Dodge Colt. The interior and exterior styling, amenities, and handling will sell this car. The difference in performance between the 4 and the 6 isn't enough for most people to worry about.
I generally hold creature comforts as unimpressive overpriced commodity items so spending big $$ for a gas 4-cyl is a mental thing for me that I just can't overcome. I just feel I'm not getting any value in terms of components especially when it's coupled with AWD. Now if I was acquiring a German Shepard, and I ould change the fluid in the front transfer case without having to physically remove it and flip it upside down, and the 4-cyl diesel was making no less than 228 HP, I'd reconsider.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Like the new 5-series it's a very good all-rounder, probably the best in class. Ticks all the boxes, BMW really did its homework on it.

With that being said, like the 5-series, it's not the emotional choice in the segment. That title belongs to the Macan, or at least the upper X3 trims like the M40 (whatever it's called) or the future X3M.
Appreciate 1
edcrane102.00
      12-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's too bad the Jag's interior is made of Fisher Price plastics.
Appreciate 1
Eighty18.50
      12-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #36
farns2345
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Yep wherever you see plastic on the jag it screams cheap. Even the rear plastic between the exhausts looks cheap. I think it's the same plastic from the back of the RR sport which also looks cheap.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      12-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #37
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Like the new 5-series it's a very good all-rounder, probably the best in class. Ticks all the boxes, BMW really did its homework on it.

With that being said, like the 5-series, it's not the emotional choice in the segment. That title belongs to the Macan, or at least the upper X3 trims like the M40 (whatever it's called) or the future X3M.
That's how I'm thinking about the new X3. Not the prettiest, sportiest, or most feature-laden, but it makes a very strong showing in every category.

Methinks the real emotional choice will be the Stelvio QV when that comes out next spring. Italian reliability, bad infotainment, stiff ride but buckets of power and personality. If I were buying an SUV for myself, I'd consider making that kind of choice, but it's really hard to sell as a daily for someone who isn't a hardcore driving enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's how I'm thinking about the new X3. Not the prettiest, sportiest, or most feature-laden, but it makes a very strong showing in every category.

Methinks the real emotional choice will be the Stelvio QV when that comes out next spring. Italian reliability, bad infotainment, stiff ride but buckets of power and personality. If I were buying an SUV for myself, I'd consider making that kind of choice, but it's really hard to sell as a daily for someone who isn't a hardcore driving enthusiast.
I've seen a couple Stelvios, including one up and close at Costco (Lol). It's a terribly awkward looking vehicle. It's interior probably sucks too.
Appreciate 2
kozzi927.00
Eighty18.50
      12-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #39
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Personally, F-Pace is the best looking SUV, so not only X3 but any other SUV will look either uglier or boring next to F-Pace.
Now..if I talk about interior, reliability, and all other aspects of an 'automobile'..it's a completely different story, though.
Appreciate 1
bwcooper179.00
      12-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #40
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

This CR article is so stupid, as are most of their pieces. So the new X3 "may be among the best compact luxury SUVs"? No shit Sherlock. There are only like 5 compact luxury suvs and of course it might be among that group.

blah
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #41
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
While we are on the topic of looks between SUVs, I parked near a 2nd gen Cayenne this afternoon, and I was surprised how bad it looked. I know it's a six year old design at this point, but man, after staring at the new X3s so much it really struck me.

It also seemed that my X3 was bigger than it. It's probably just the shape, from what I can tell online the Cayenne should be 5" longer and about 4" wider and 1.5" taller. Should have tried to get better side by side photos.
Attached Images

Last edited by sor; 12-02-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #42
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
This CR article is so stupid, as are most of their pieces. So the new X3 "may be among the best compact luxury SUVs"? No shit Sherlock. There are only like 5 compact luxury suvs and of course it might be among that group.

blah
The conclusion is of course uninformative. They weren’t even sure if *is* among the best — it “may be.” But the observations in the article are positive and consistent with my impressions.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #43
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
That's what I always thought of the cheap interior on that thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #44
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Sounds like an idea for an X3M
- manual transmission (parts diagram shows a 3 pedal setup for some model)
- user actuated transfer case
- user ability to select M Dynamic Mode
- 500 hp
Appreciate 0