BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-20-2016, 03:08 AM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Apple Carplay

Looking at the UK options list last night and a new option has appeared on the configurator - Apple Carplay Preparation £235.00, no other details just the header and the option to tick the box
      09-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

BMW first to sell CarPlay as standalone service

BMW buyers will now have the option to get CarPlay installed in their new rides. But for a cost. BMW is charging $300 to add the service to new vehicles making the German auto maker the first to charge buyers for access to CarPlay.

This sits as a starch difference from other manufacturers which either include CarPlay as a standard feature or bundle it in a technology package. BMW is selling CarPlay as a standalone service throughout its model line. Even buyers of the $138,000 Alpina B7 xDrive will need to decide to spend $300 to get access to Apple’s alternative infotainment system.

When buying a Porsche CarPlay is included in the Porsche Connect package, which also gives owners the ability to control and monitor their vehicle from a smartphone app. In GM vehicles, CarPlay is included in most of the infotainment packages. Ford and Mercedes and Honda and Audi and VW offers it in a similar fashion. None of the models listed on Apple’s official list of CarPlay vehicles charge for just CarPlay.

However, when buying a BMW off a lot, there’s a good chance buyers will drive away with CarPlay already installed. The service will likely be installed in the vehicle when shipped from the factory and the price already included in the invoice.

Is CarPlay worth $300? I’ve spent a good amount of time living with the service and I wouldn’t spend the extra cash just for it. At times CarPlay is useful, but other times, like when trying to use navigation while listening to Spotify, it’s disappointing. Like other Apple services it will likely improve over time, but right now, more than halfway through 2016, CarPlay is not perfect.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/bm...alone-service/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
gullyg
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

Registered on here to say thanks.

Ordered on sat and caught this post on Tuesday - got the dealer to add immediately.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #4
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Smithy, thought it best to answer your question in this thread rather than the one about my new order as it makes more sense.

To answer your question, I'm not 100% sure what this option offers, but I've seen a Youtube video from a dealer in San Francisco running through how everything works in an X5. It seems that you can run certain apps from your phone directly on the iDrive screen, such as Google Maps, Music etc, as well as being able to dictate messages and have message read out over the car speakers.

I don't really think it's a must have and I'm not sure I'll use it that often since I've got sat nav and the hard drive for my music, but I love technology so it just satisfies my inner geek. The other point is that as carplay evolves, additional functionality will undoubtedly come which could make it more useful (well, that's my attempt to justify blowing £235 on it!).

Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless changing however seems like an absolute waste of money since it doesn't even offer voice control any more, so I haven't bothered with it.
      09-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #5
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

agreed, the wireless charging doesn't support iphones either...