BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
///MPower_2014
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

AUTO button behavior (not doing what the manual says)

The owner’s manual says the A/C should come on every time you press AUTO, as typical of any BMW with this generation climate control. (my '08 328xi did that too)

But when I press the “AUTO” button, the A/C doesn’t automatically come on; which I actually like. If you press it twice, it seems to go back to the last manual setting, and if you press it again, it goes to auto with A/C on.

So I don’t know why the difference in what I’m seeing vs. what the manual says it should do.

I’m glad the A/C doesn't automatically come on when pressing the AUTO button after the climate control is turned off. I’d rather turn it on when I need it (not that frequently in the Northeast), then constantly turning it off and possibly damaging the compressor when starting it in sub zero weather frequently.

Is everyone else seeing the same behavior with controlling the A/C when you press the AUTO button either turning on the system or when its on manual?
'04 325xi (sold)
'97 328iS (sold)

Last edited by ///MPower_2014; 03-10-2011 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Huh?
A/C should only come on when there is a need to cool/chill the air. If you press the A/C button when there is a need to warm/heat the air then of course it won't come on.

Climate control is simply a complex series of sensors which controls the A/C automatically and switch between heating and cooling to manage a fixed temperature setting.

Just switch on the A/C in Auto mode, set the recirculation to Auto as well and leave it alone. Messing with it and switching it on and off is what will knacker the compressor and seals not the temperature.
      03-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

AC is commonly used for defrost functions as well. Mine is always indicated as on in my 135i when in auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
///MPower_2014
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
Huh?
A/C should only come on when there is a need to cool/chill the air. If you press the A/C button when there is a need to warm/heat the air then of course it won't come on.

Climate control is simply a complex series of sensors which controls the A/C automatically and switch between heating and cooling to manage a fixed temperature setting.

Just switch on the A/C in Auto mode, set the recirculation to Auto as well and leave it alone. Messing with it and switching it on and off is what will knacker the compressor and seals not the temperature.
I'm not talking about pressing the A/C button on or off directly, just when you initially press the AUTO button. Say you turn off your climate control and turn it back on using the AUTO button...typically doing so in BMW's turns on the A/C (at least the A/C light anyway, even in sub zero weather) even if it wasn't on previously before the climate control was turned off, which is different to the behavior I'm seeing as described in my post.
'04 325xi (sold)
'97 328iS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008_BMW_328xi View Post
The owner’s manual says the A/C should come on every time you press AUTO, as typical of any BMW with this generation climate control. (my '08 328xi did that too)

But when I press the “AUTO” button, the A/C doesn’t automatically come on; which I actually like. If you press it twice, it seems to go back to the last manual setting, and if you press it again, it goes to auto with A/C on.

So I don’t know why the difference in what I’m seeing vs. what the manual says it should do.

I’m glad the A/C doesn't automatically come on when pressing the AUTO button after the climate control is turned off. I’d rather turn it on when I need it (not that frequently in the Northeast), then constantly turning it off and possibly damaging the compressor when starting it in sub zero weather frequently.

Is everyone else seeing the same behavior with controlling the A/C when you press the AUTO button either turning on the system or when its on manual?
Pressing the Auto button twice or pressing it once while already selected changes the airflow from "slow" to "normal" to "high," respectively.
Appreciate 0