BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2015, 02:57 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

X3 Ski Trip

Just some points from a recent ski trip.
Route- UK, France, Switzerland. Return- Switzerland, Germany, Holland (for a few miles), Belgium, France, UK.
The Good
1-Average of 36.4 MPG for a very varied drive, including a 1.5 hour wait for the return tunnel. Could have got 40Mpg+ with careful driving
2-Surreal moment, Cruise Control at 100 Mph towards Stuttgart, but being constantly passed by cars at 120Mph+. I went up to 120 Mph for a 5 minute section, but back off.
3-Winter Tyres, essential both in the ski resort and on the drive back through mid Germany
4-The 3.0d engine was excellent on the autobahn
5-The roads in France, Germany and Switzerland were smooth and worked well with RFT tyres
6-BMW Routes worked well. Being able to setup a route on your computer and send it to the car is excellent
7-Paying €1.10 per litre for Diesel in Germany. ~90p :-)

The Bad
1-Returning to poor quality UK roads
2-Car is covered in road salt and needs a good wash
3-Satnav had a couple of minor route glitches, but it did badly let me down twice in Belgium. First it guided me to the left hand lanes on the road, and then it wanted me to turn off, but I couldn't due to a filter barrier being in the way. Had to take a 20 min detour to get back on route. Again in Belgium it took me the wrong way, which involved another detour. The satnav doesn't seem to recalculate the route often enough, and insists on you doing 'U' turns, then it eventually recalcs and get back on track and knocked 15 mins off the ETA. Lesson learnt- know the route in your head before you set off.
Attached Images

Last edited by philtrick123; 01-07-2015 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Excellent Phil, sounds like a great trip and an excellent way to see the new year in

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
dats alot of white dust
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Awesome!

How were you able to set up your own route and then send it to the nav? Is this only a feature available on the updated nav systems?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
...2-Surreal moment, Cruise Control at 100 Mph towards Stuttgart, but being constantly passed by cars at 120Mph+. I went up to 120 Mph for a 5 minute section, but back off....
Really funny isn't it that it's completely accepted in Germany that unrestricted means completely unrestricted. Their Police are far more stringent on driving standards - I think we could do with some of that over here I grew up there, so appropriate speed and good standards are completely normal for me, I find UK motorways quite slow and populated in the main by inattentive idiots....

Gratuitous shot of my old one in the French Alps - I would completely agree on the snow tyres comment. Wouldn't be without them these days!!

Last edited by Ranger 6; 01-08-2015 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Awesome!
How were you able to set up your own route and then send it to the nav? Is this only a feature available on the updated nav systems?
My car is pre-LCI with the Professional Nav- I'm not sure if it works on the smaller screen business nav.
In the UK goto- https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/index.jsp
Login using your BMW connected drive user name and password.
You can setup your own routes (it's a bit fiddly) and save them, and then send to car. You can even include a small jpg picture.
On the X3 you have to pull (import) the route from the site, this is unlike the Google 'Send To Car' feature which pushes the destination to the car (and you get the envelope symbol)
From memory- with the map displayed on the X3- click the idrive controller left (brings up the nav icons on the Left hand side), click the idrive controller left again. Then from the menu there's an option for route or my routes or import (can't remember). Then you can import the route to the car.

The route works like waypoints, you have to drive through a waypoint to get it to automatically go to the next point. I you drive around a waypoint you can manually select the next point to go to. I found it very handy to avoid some short sections of toll road.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

What winter tires do you have on the X3? I have Hakka R2's and the speed rating is only 100 or 110mph I can't remember. I'll be driving 2400 miles across the country in a few weeks to go skiing in the Rockies. Most times I'll be driving 75-90 depending on the state.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
What winter tires do you have on the X3? I have Hakka R2's and the speed rating is only 100 or 110mph I can't remember. I'll be driving 2400 miles across the country in a few weeks to go skiing in the Rockies. Most times I'll be driving 75-90 depending on the state.
I bought a set of 4 winter wheels and tyres off Ebay.
The tyres are Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D RFT all round. H rating= Max 130Mph.
I've heard the Nokians are the ultimate winter tyres, if you're in extreme conditions. The Dunlops were great for me, but I didn't have deep snow apart from leaving my parking spot
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I bought a set of 4 winter wheels and tyres off Ebay.
The tyres are Dunlop SP WinterSport 3D RFT all round. H rating= Max 130Mph.
I've heard the Nokians are the ultimate winter tyres, if you're in extreme conditions. The Dunlops were great for me, but I didn't have deep snow apart from leaving my parking spot
My choices were the Dunlops, Michellin and the Nokian's. Since I do a lot of highway speed driving I almost went with the Michellin's because they were more of a performance based tire plus a higher speed rating but I'm really happy with the Nokian's. Very stable in the snow. I had Dunlop GrandTrek SJ5's on my FX35 before I got the X3 and they were great too.
Appreciate 0