BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Album artwork?

Have tried searching and am just further confused....

I have a 2013 2.0d UK spec, no Nav..

I have the white y cable to connect an old ipod mini that I have (which does not have artwork ability). The ipod mini is fine, plays music / playlists etc..

I don't have an iPhone, so can't try this.

I've tried compiling music with embedded artwork on a USB which only plays the music, no artwork. Not sure if the embedding is ID3?
Fundamentally...
Q1 - Does the 'non-NAV' set up play album artwork?
Q2 - if so, is there a simple way of embedding artwork in iTunes which will show up ok?

I don't mind shelling out on a newer iPod / Nano but won't bother if the setup is not right.

Thanks in anticipation!
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

There is a separate thread (thread by Sfax??) has aready been posted on this subject. Try searching.
I setup a USB stick with embedded art this year.
It was quite a bit of hassle to get the artwork because the music was a self assembled compilation of tunes- with a varying quality of ID3 tags.
If your music is already in Same artist/ same album folders it makes things easier because the same artwork can be used for several tracks in the same folder.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
halfalife
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 3.0D Msport

I tried and tried, but yet to do it. I would love an answer.
      11-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I have the pro nav system, but I can't get mine to display artwork. I think an additional (non-retrofit) software/hardware package is needed.

BMW certainly make this a very awkward!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I've got the pro nav, and mine display fine from the USB. Not sure what I can tell you in terms of something I've done, because I haven't done anything special. My mp3's (on my pc) all have images associated with each track or album and I've simply copied my mp3 folder to my USB, plugged it in the car and presto, music and artwork.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Do you have voice control? If so, you have the enhanced bluetooth connectivity, which includes voice control, the ability to play music via a bluetooth connection as well as album artwork. If memory serves it was around £5-600 extra when I ordered my car last year.

If your voice control button (on the steering wheel) doesn't do anything, you have the basic bluetooth connectivity (6NH in BMW language) which is a simpler package, consisting of bluetooth for phone calls only, as well as a USB plug in the centre console storage compartment. Another way of telling is if you have a 'blank' phone cradle in the centre console - if you have one, you've got the enhanced system, if not, it's the simpler system I'm afraid.

I've got the cheaper option, and to be honest I'm not too fussed. Album art would be nice, but it's not worth £3-400 on top of what I've got. Voice control would have been nice, if only for the fact that the button on the wheel would work, even though I know voice control is very hit and miss and would never be used (I have it in my M3, and it's a pain, but I don't like having non functioning buttons!)

Hope this helps.
      11-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Kiernan,

Yes, I have the 6NH option. I've just found all the brochures for the X3 from which I ordered...under several photographs specifically showing album artwork it specifically states 6NH.

Definition, 6NH - "Bluetooth hands free facility with USB audio interface".

In the main brochure, infotainment section, it again shows Emma Jenkins 'Summer Dream' image with the following comment "USB audio interface - With the USB audio interface and an original iPod USB cable, the album cover art for the track being played can be shown in the control display (the cover art display function is also available for other devices).....

I seem to remember talking it through with the sales guy and he said that this was the option that I needed.

Suppose one solution is to try and borrow a new iPod and connect it.

Thanks for the help to date all!
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

I don't think you should use the "Y" cable - try using the standard USB cable - the one for syncing with your PC and charging.
I believe the Y cable was for the older BMWs
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep

Thanks Chris55 - I've yet to try this with an iPhone or a (modern) iPod.

From further reading numerous other BMW forum posts, I've come to a conclusion that the 6NH package is not suitable to display artwork.

As many of the other 'posters' noted - at best its poor marketing bordering on completely misleading information in the official literature.

Ianfp - as far as I can see, Pro nav should enable you to see the artwork. Good luck!
Appreciate 0