BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Bigmanny35
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 35i

For the Wife Stigma

On Just about every other post that I read, the OP goes out of the way to Stress that the x3 is the wife's or being bought for the wife. Why isn't your wife posting on the damn forum? Is their some shame in a male driving a $50k+ German "300HP twin turbo" crossover?

My wife drives a big 8 passenger luxury SUV and thinks that my car is too fast! I get to cruise around in a sports car instead of driving the large kid/grocery mobile. I had a slow 528xi before this car, but don't remember every post in that forum being guys talking about their wive's cars.

Sorry for the rant

Mike
Black 35i
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
gerem
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I noticed that too...I ordered the X3 for me, I'm 6'6'' and I don't fit really well in sedans.
The X3 offers the speed and agility of a sport car without sacrificing the space.
      03-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We are buying the X3 because my wife drove them when she went on a ski trip - well they drove x5 & x6 but cant afford one of them. - I am 6ft and she is 5ft but we want a car we can both enjoy on longer trips.
The X3 ticks all the boxes for us. SO I am really looking forward to getting ours in May....
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Maybe because a lot of the guys on here are going through the buying and learning process because their wives have seen the X3 and liked it and wanted it or they have seen it and wanted it for their wives

I mean really..in the majority of situations (I didn't say all) it's the guy who does the buying process and maintenance etc. I know I do. Not because my wife can't but because I like to save her the stress. (Plus because I love seeing dealers squirm when they lie and get caught )

I know my wife would never be on a forum..she doesn't have the time or care to talk about what's wrong or not with the vehicle. She just wants to jump in and drive. My role is to make sure she can. That's love
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I think the concern stems from the cute-ute craze.

The x3 isn't a replacement or competitor for the rav4, crv, escape, rx350 which the 'soccer moms' drive. The x3 is in my opinion is a tall rear drive sport wagon that typically isn't seen parked at walmart in amongst the minivans.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmanny35 View Post
On Just about every other post that I read, the OP goes out of the way to Stress that the x3 is the wife's or being bought for the wife. Why isn't your wife posting on the damn forum? Is their some shame in a male driving a $50k+ German "300HP twin turbo" crossover?

My wife drives a big 8 passenger luxury SUV and thinks that my car is too fast! I get to cruise around in a sports car instead of driving the large kid/grocery mobile. I had a slow 528xi before this car, but don't remember every post in that forum being guys talking about their wive's cars.

Sorry for the rant

Mike
Black 35i
+1 I bought the car for me, and I drive it almost exclusively. Not sure why some posters feel like they have to emphasize that it is for the "wife", which in itself is almost a sexist expression. Some posters are wannabes and think they are super-manly I guess. Wouldn't be caught dead driving a car that females drive...............
      03-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

I bought the X3 35i M-Sport for myself so that when I can't drive my Z4 35i I have a vehicle that approximates (almost) the power and handling of the Z4, with the added benefit of all weather traction and extra room. My dog much prefers the X3. Interestingly enough I have owned the Z4 for over 2 years and have less that 9000 mi. I bought the X3 in Aug 11(6 months) and have just turned 15,000 very trouble free miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

More guys are auto enthusiasts than women. That really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Girl toys are anything shiny and anything they can wear. Guy toys are anything that moves and anything that contains motor/hydraulic oil. We never really outgrow our interests from age 5. As adults, we can just afford more of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
X3ff
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet

I do not know how it works in your households but I get almost as excited over purchasing a vehicle for my wife as I do for myself since I end up driving hers quite often. On the other hand, she does not get excited about cars at all as long as they are reliable and fit our basic needs (such as enough seats, storage, gas milage, towing ability, etc.).

When we purchase her a car, I do all the research and negotiation after asking her some basic questions about what basic type of vehicle she wants and what options might be important. She just comes out to the dealer once for a test drive and to provide the final yeah or nay on what I am planning on getting her. We both end up happy that way.

Currently I am shopping for an X3 for myself. I really wanted a sedan but I am just too tall to fit in most sedans with a sunroof and just about any nice sedan comes with a sunroof these days.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

My wife is a better, faster, more precise driver than most people (men or women), so to me the whole concept of a "woman's car" is crap. I see just as many "soccer dads" in their non-sporty cars driving the way they need to to shuttle the kids around and such. In my view folks who worry about having a "manly car" tend to be insecure. Just enjoy the dang car. It's a car, nothing else. You can get the biggest, baddest car out there or the meekest, slowest one and you're still who you are either way.
      03-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
BSM328xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E70 & 2013 F25

I bought the X3 for my wife because she was tired of her 2010 MDX Tech and jealous of my E90. There is nothing girly about the X3 if that is what the OP is referring to.

Now...my wife surely would not have ordered a F25 with MSport and ZDH! That was purely for me!

I think the X3 is more manly than the X5. The X5 is a soccer mom-mobile. The X3 is a 335i on steroids!

Sold: 2011 328xi; 2013 X3 35i; 2013 X5 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
loumac
Rep
Drives: Soon: X3

I guess I am in the minority here...Female, married. I researched, negotiated and bought the last three vehicles that served as my primary car..I handle all maintenance on all cars. Hubby had been in the restaurant biz, so we all know those crazy hours, and my role was to be sure he didn't have to worry about me driving around in a piece of crap, so he could concentrate on our nest egg. Even though he is retired, I still want to research and negotiate the purchase of my own vehicle that I drive 99% of the time. This site is a god-send to me!

I also think it is crazy that guys have to stress that the X3 is for the wife. My hubby and I haven't owned a BMW since our 6 and 7 series in the eighties and we are both damn excited to be getting this one!

Soon to own: 28i Metallic Blue, Oyster interior/ZCV/ZMP(Youbetcha)/ZPP/ZTP/SAT.655/APPS.6NR.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
stactum
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M-Sport

My wife wanted a sedan (considered bmw 3 series, audi a4, etc.), however I do want sports sedan too (I currently have 09 Murano) so having 2 small kids we need at least 1 car to combine sport+utility. I was looking at lexus rx, acura mdx, audi q5, mb glk and wanted for her to have something that combines sports sedan but adds little more space. I am also excited about X3 since I'll be able to borrow it before I get a replacement for my Murano. My hope that N20 engine will also add good fuel economy which is important for the amount of driving we do.

With this X3 redesign I don't think there is anything girly about this car. If I had to choose for myself I'd go with 35i, but to add some features to 35i and it's gonna be over $50K where I'd be looking at some other alternatives as well (Audi A6 would probably be my choice). So, X3 28i is perfect small family vehicle that combines sports and utility!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I bought my X3 for my dogs.
Greyhounds are very tall and having the excellent headroom and space as well as a car I truly enjoy driving, makes the whole pack very happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmanny35

Sorry for the rant

Mike
Black 35i
+1. I posted about this a while ago, and took some grief, both because of some technical issues ( I posted it like 10 times, because of the screwy iPhone app) and because of supposed insecurity. Probably more of the first.
I do think it's funny, though. If I went on a forum to post about my wife's Subaru, I'm just going to ask about the car.
For example, "my 2011 forester does not start after heavy rainstorms. Does anyone have any experience with this?"
The fact that it's my wife's car is immaterial and therefore I do not mention it. Add that to the fact that it is my Subaru and it is my wife's X3, and vice versa. Why does it matter to anyone on an anonymous forum who does most of the driving?
People don't add unnecessary details to communication unless they have a reason they want you to have that info. Whether its the woman who just happens to drop a mention of her boyfriend in a random conversation, or the dude who makes some obtuse reference to the time he played college ball back in the day, they want you to know. In this case it's likely because they heard someone say it's a "hairdressers car", which is ridiculous.
Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 03:38 AM   #16
DEVM
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X3-35d 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
+1. I posted about this a while ago, and took some grief, both because of some technical issues ( I posted it like 10 times, because of the screwy iPhone app) and because of supposed insecurity. Probably more of the first.
I do think it's funny, though. If I went on a forum to post about my wife's Subaru, I'm just going to ask about the car.
For example, "my 2011 forester does not start after heavy rainstorms. Does anyone have any experience with this?"
The fact that it's my wife's car is immaterial and therefore I do not mention it. Add that to the fact that it is my Subaru and it is my wife's X3, and vice versa. Why does it matter to anyone on an anonymous forum who does most of the driving?
People don't add unnecessary details to communication unless they have a reason they want you to have that info. Whether its the woman who just happens to drop a mention of her boyfriend in a random conversation, or the dude who makes some obtuse reference to the time he played college ball back in the day, they want you to know. In this case it's likely because they heard someone say it's a "hairdressers car", which is ridiculous.
Rant over.
+1
I agree with this 100%. To me is "who, male or female is driving the car the most..." really non-, useless-information. For what purpose is that info relevant?
      03-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

+1
      03-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #18
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Wow, lots of insecurities in this thread. Who cares what people call the SUV. In my case I always call it my wife's X3. Why? Because it is hers, not mine. She drives it daily not me. If I'm going to offer my opinion on some X3 related topic I do like to qualify it with 'My wife's X3' in order to level set expectations that I am not the daily driver of said vehicle and as such my experience is being drawn from limited time behind the wheel.

It's entertaining to me that folks always get their panties in a bunch and this thread comes up like once every 60 days. If there are personal insecurities around what your daily driver is called by complete strangers then coming to a public internet forum is just asking to be offended.

On a side note - I'd drive my wife's X3 daily in a heart beat. It's a great car that appeals to all sexes IMHO.

Last edited by n55x3; 03-26-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #19
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Wow, lots of insecurities in this thread. Who cares what people call the SUV. In my case I always call it my wife's X3. Why? Because it is hers, not mine. She drives it daily not me. If I'm going to offer my opinion on some X3 related topic I do like to qualify it with 'My wife's X3' in order to level set expectations that I am not the daily driver of said vehicle and as such my experience is being drawn from limited time behind the wheel.

It's entertaining to me that folks always get their panties in a bunch and this thread comes up like once every 60 days. If there are personal insecurities around what your daily driver is called by complete strangers then coming to a public internet forum is just asking to be offended.
I agree. People are reading way too much into it.

I was sitting here thinking this seemed like an awfully familiar topic, but I couldn't understand why anyone would make an issue of it, let alone multiple people.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i had the 08 328i it was fun driving it so i wanted a new toy so i went with x3 28i lil more horsepower but awd and still feels like e90 but revived! my gf drives rogue '10 she can feel a huge differences in driving n handling of the x3 . she is considering getting x3 as well
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

My X3
MY X3
M I N E

I test drove all the luxury SUVs
I decided to buy it

The wife gets to drive it MAYBE once a week lol. She likes the X3, but I LOVE it. It gives me the same smile I had every single time I drove my WRX, with the added utility needed for a family.

It doesn't ooze muscle like my old '89 Paxton 5.0, but it doesn't give me a single ounce of insecurity... quite the opposite!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Sorry, I am a wife and waiting for my X3 (only 2.0D though) to be delivered...

Horses for courses - man or woman.
Appreciate 0