BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
busflyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Newbie questions for PCD and more

Hi All,

We have ordered the 2015 Melbourne Red X3 and are going to Greer for the delivery on 9/26. I have looked at a few of the PCD threads and still have a few questions.

1) Do both my wife and I get to drive the course or is it just one of us while the other rides?

2) I will be arriving a day earlier than my wife. Does anyone have a good idea of another hotel?

3) We will be going to Biltmore for the wine tasting after the delivery. Besides Biltmore, any ideas on other fun things to do around Asheville?

4) My wife is sold on the paint sealing service offered by the dealer. In Florida this service is called "Cilajet." This also offers dent and ding repair as well as interior repair. I'm not sold on any of the dealer "options." Is there someone that can convince me that my wife is right (besides the obvious argument that wives are always right)?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Busflyer
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

When I bought my Lexus years ago, the finance manager try to sell me the paint sealant for $800. After I refuse repeatedly, he lower it to $600 and then $400, I turn it down. A few weeks later, I was at a detail shop and I ask the tech how much he would charge for the same type of paint sealant the dealer was offering, he said probably about $100. The dealer's profit margin on these add on are outrageous. Back then, the paint sealants are made from Teflon which did not last very long. The newest technology is polymer which is much better:
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-wax....FcZQ7AodUFQAWw
If you do decide to get the paint sealant, make sure the product is polymer based.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
tuatua
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 28d

1) You share one vehicle and take turns driving. You have the option of having your spouse in the car or not when you drive. My wife and I decided to drive alone. I enjoyed watching her drive the course when it was her turn.

2) The Marriott is very nice and the BMW rate isn't bad. It might be convenient just to spend the extra night there.

3) Spend some time in downtown Asheville. Great restraurants, gallaries, and shops to poke around in. Asheville has the most Art Deco archetecture in the US after Miami. Take a drive on the Blue Ride Parkway. Have a nice lunch or dinner at the Pisgah Inn (15 miles south) or visit Mt Mitchell, the highest mountain east of the Mississippi (30 miles north).

4) We had cilajet on an earlier BMW purchase, including dent and ding. We didn't get it on our latest purchase. If you want paint protection either have an independent shop do it or do it yourself. I put Opticoat on our 2015 X3. Gave it a thorough wash, clayed the car, and put the Opticoat on in a morning -- $70! Pay for any dent/ding removal when/if it happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

2) The Marriott is convenient. When I went down for the Performance Driving School I stayed elsewhere, and regretted not picking the Marriott.

While you're there, and are seeing the complex, ask about the driving school. You may want to return for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Heed tuatua. His advice is right on. Only addition: if you have time and the inclination, the Biltmore Estate is worth the somewhat high price of admission, but budget at least 2-3 hours. Have a great time at the performance center. I'm ready to do it again!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
mapman
Rep
Drives: several

All good ideas on Asheville - it is a great little weekend spot. I would skip the wine tasting and do the mansion tour. As noted it is a little pricey to enter but well worth it. The wine is well, North Carolina wine and not very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Would also highly recommend Asheville as well the Biltmore tour (do the architects tour).

Also, when you are there for BMW at the Marriott I think you'd be hard pressed to get better service anywhere. They treat BMW guests very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
busflyer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Thanks all. We take delivery 9/26 and are VERY excited.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Oslermarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 35i M-sport X3

Asheville is awesome and is actually probably the second best microbrew center in the US. There are many places to grab a beer and several microbrew tours (I had the best bachelors party of my life there)...
Appreciate 0