BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
leamsi_iso9001
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2011

Code 101F01 mass air implausible

Hi all

I own a 2011 F25 with N55 engine.
I have a permanent 101F01 trouble code, lighting CEL and driving me crazy. I have done many many things to clear it but no luck.

Replaced plastic charge pipe with FTP one, replaced intercooler, turbo inlet and outlet pipe, throttle body, map sensor on charge pipe, intake manifold map sensor, air mass flow sensor, intake manifold gasket, ECU gasket, Valve cover gasket, Vanos solenoid, Air filter, Blow off valve under turbo.

I have done the procedure to disconnect tank valve and let engine idle for 15mn numerous time.

Now the last time I did it, after disconnecting tank vent purge valve connector, I DIDN'T RECONNECT IT.
I just drove the vehicle like that and the fault code didn't show up. No more 101F01

So I believe I at least isolated the issue, it is on purge valve side but no clue on what to search now; has anyone experienced such trouble code?

The purge valve is a new one, it was replaced 6 months ago
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 06:40 PM   #2
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

I have had this code on my 2013 X5 35i for roughly 80k miles and have done all the replacements you did as well as oil pan gasket, front Crank seal and more... Nothing cleared it... But I found a solution... As the truck drives flawlessly I pulled the damn instrument panel out,peeled back the masking and put electric tape over the CEL... That was 60k miles ago.... Truck drives perfectly.... F that vague ass error code ..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:09 AM   #3
leamsi_iso9001
Rep

Yes I can do that but I think this problem is killing my mileage
Currently 15,8 mpg
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:13 PM   #4
Looker.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Hey guys,

I am also driving a 2011 F25 with N55 engine, and this 101F01 code has been driving me crazy for almost 4 years.

This all started from a very noticeable rough idle at cold start but runs smoothly after warm up, and I started to change spark plugs, coils and nothing helped. After that I sent the car to the shop and completed a walnut blast to clean all the intake valves when the car was around 90k kms, and car returned all good with no rough idle at all. However, the rough idle at cold came back immediately after I reset adaptation only 2 months later, which kinda indicates intake valve carbon build up is not the root cause. Fortunately, the car was able to adapt and smooth out itself if I let the car idle like crap till it warms up a few times. The 101f01 code is always stored but no CEL if the car can adapt and smooth out itself. Otherwise, I could experience crazy misfire and even drive train malfunction during cold start.

Recently I have changed all spark plugs, ignition coils, injectors, MAP sensors and the car is at 120k kms, but the car is still experience the same thing. I also replaced both charge pipe and boost pipe with FTP ones, but car rans worse after the replacement. I did a smoke test and found out that the FTP charge pipe is leaking at the threads of the silver standoff where it connects vacuum line. So I strongly suggest whoever runs the FTP brand double check that connection, and it is prone to boost leak.

I just still don't understand why the car idles shit during cold start, and gradually gets better once it warms up. And I also can't understand the car is able to adapt and smooth out randomly but everything goes back to shit mode after reset adaptation. At this point, I am thinking if the intake manifold gasket might be the cause for rough idle during cold start.

I am also desperately seeking ideas and help from all you guys! I think we are all facing the challenges which is indeed miserable...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 12:54 PM   #5
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

Bad cold engine idle is almost always dirty Vanos related... Have you tried cleaning them or even replacing...??
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 09:38 AM   #6
leamsi_iso9001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looker. View Post
Hey guys,

I am also driving a 2011 F25 with N55 engine, and this 101F01 code has been driving me crazy for almost 4 years.

This all started from a very noticeable rough idle at cold start but runs smoothly after warm up, and I started to change spark plugs, coils and nothing helped. After that I sent the car to the shop and completed a walnut blast to clean all the intake valves when the car was around 90k kms, and car returned all good with no rough idle at all. However, the rough idle at cold came back immediately after I reset adaptation only 2 months later, which kinda indicates intake valve carbon build up is not the root cause. Fortunately, the car was able to adapt and smooth out itself if I let the car idle like crap till it warms up a few times. The 101f01 code is always stored but no CEL if the car can adapt and smooth out itself. Otherwise, I could experience crazy misfire and even drive train malfunction during cold start.

Recently I have changed all spark plugs, ignition coils, injectors, MAP sensors and the car is at 120k kms, but the car is still experience the same thing. I also replaced both charge pipe and boost pipe with FTP ones, but car rans worse after the replacement. I did a smoke test and found out that the FTP charge pipe is leaking at the threads of the silver standoff where it connects vacuum line. So I strongly suggest whoever runs the FTP brand double check that connection, and it is prone to boost leak.

I just still don't understand why the car idles shit during cold start, and gradually gets better once it warms up. And I also can't understand the car is able to adapt and smooth out randomly but everything goes back to shit mode after reset adaptation. At this point, I am thinking if the intake manifold gasket might be the cause for rough idle during cold start.

I am also desperately seeking ideas and help from all you guys! I think we are all facing the challenges which is indeed miserable...

For what I've read so far, 101F01 is related to vaccum leak. Have you tried to smoke test the car for leaks? Even a very tiny leak can cause cel light on.
For rough idle after adaptation reset, this is normal. It is even wrote in the adaptation reset procedure, that the car may experience rough idle and misfires, even shutdown, but it will smooth during the time you run the car at different loads. The computer is adapting itselg and tuning valves opening and camshaft angles during this adaptation phase. It is advised to let the car run idle for 2mn after adaptation reset for basic adaptation.

Back to the 101F01, after throwing so much money, I have decided to order smoke leak detector machine; I will find this vaccum leak, it is between this engine and me now
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:18 AM   #7
leamsi_iso9001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leamsi_iso9001 View Post
For what I've read so far, 101F01 is related to vaccum leak. Have you tried to smoke test the car for leaks? Even a very tiny leak can cause cel light on.
For rough idle after adaptation reset, this is normal. It is even wrote in the adaptation reset procedure, that the car may experience rough idle and misfires, even shutdown, but it will smooth during the time you run the car at different loads. The computer is adapting itselg and tuning valves opening and camshaft angles during this adaptation phase. It is advised to let the car run idle for 2mn after adaptation reset for basic adaptation.

Back to the 101F01, after throwing so much money, I have decided to order smoke leak detector machine; I will find this vaccum leak, it is between this engine and me now
Ok smoke tested, no leak in the admission.
Code still present.
I have noticed that when I disconnect Valvetronic connector, the idle become very very smooth, in the car the sensation is like the car is off while it is on
But when disconnecting valvetronic I still have CEL ON, because of valvetronic disconnected. The 101F01 is no long present.
So I am wondering if valvetronic motor or eccentric shaft may be the cause of rough idle and 101F01 code
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 02:34 PM   #8
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Try this it worked for me. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63029-9999.pdf
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X3M, 16 X5 35i

Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 08:21 PM   #10
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Recently broke the serpentine belt, after repairing it my car is having the 101F01 fault error codes. Looking around the entire engine bay and don't see any vacuum hoses that have failed. Anyway, ordered a new Valvecover, let's see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 08:47 AM   #11
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

Did the belt get wrapped around the pulley and in the front main seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Recently broke the serpentine belt, after repairing it my car is having the 101F01 fault error codes. Looking around the entire engine bay and don't see any vacuum hoses that have failed. Anyway, ordered a new Valvecover, let's see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 09:34 AM   #12
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs19 View Post
Did the belt get wrapped around the pulley and in the front main seal?
It did, had a mechanic look over it and they didn't find any issues aside from a small plug that was slapped off.

Replaced the tensioner and put on a new belt, car drives fine aside from the 101F01 error code.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 09:37 AM   #13
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

Did you check the oil pan for any belt fragments? Also did he replace the front main seal? Also, I am guessing it happened because of oil from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket leaked onto the belt.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2023, 09:52 AM   #14
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did you check the oil pan for any belt fragments? Also did he replace the front main seal? Also, I am guessing it happened because of oil from the Oil Filter Housing Gasket leaked onto the belt.
Bingo, I suspect the same thing. I never had this problem on my older N52 E90 as I preventatively did the OFHG early.

The mechanic didn't replace the front main seal, he said he didn't see it leaking.

I did not check the oil pan for fragments but I will be doing an oil change this week on the car and will report my findings.

Most of the belt was shredded off, so I don't think the seal is compromised.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 05:04 PM   #15
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You're right. Front crank seal is leaking, it suffered damage when the belt got wrapped around the crank.

The car's at the mechanic now, getting the oil pan dropped to check for belt material and replacing the front seal + doing King rod bearings.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 09:38 PM   #16
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Update got the car back. Rod bearings, front main seal, valve cover, OFHG, and thermostat done. Car runs great, no CEL lights or error codes. Car idles like a sleeping baby. Everything all-in wasn't too expensive, cheaper than my M3's rod bearing job actually. The car feels brand new.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 07:35 AM   #17
leamsi_iso9001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looker. View Post
Hey guys,

You may have Valvetronic issue.

Try disconnect Valvetronic and run the car for few rides and check if your rough idle issue is vanished
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #18
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

I had this code, got rid of it and now its back after flashing BM3. Flashed back to stock, still there as a permanent code.

Idle is smooth though this time. Smoke tested the card, no leaks. No leaks in Valve Cover gasket, the VC and gasket are within 10k miles.

Also Replaced:
Charge pipe (metal)
Piersburg Vanos Solenoids
2x MAP Sensors
1x MAF sensor
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 04:16 PM   #19
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I had this code, got rid of it and now its back after flashing BM3. Flashed back to stock, still there as a permanent code.

Idle is smooth though this time. Smoke tested the card, no leaks. No leaks in Valve Cover gasket, the VC and gasket are within 10k miles.

Also Replaced:
Charge pipe (metal)
Piersburg Vanos Solenoids
2x MAP Sensors
1x MAF sensor
I'm back and still have this code.

New Valve Cover, new Eccentric Shaft + Motor, new front crank seal. Still have the same error... The car drives pretty smoothly, sometimes I get a rough idle but it's not bad.
Appreciate 0