BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2023, 09:33 AM   #1
TyTwoShoes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

No heat after replacing cooling system

Hi gus, I've scoured posts and I cannot find my solution.

Car: 2014 bmw x3 35i

After changing my thermostat, water pump, and radiator I no longer have heat. I have bled my motor properly numerous times. I thought the thermostat was stuck but I changed it again and I still have no heat even at temp. It seems like the coolant is cold coming out of the firewall. Both sides blow cold coming out of my vents.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 11:53 AM   #2
TyTwoShoes
Registered
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #3
E36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, '14 335i, '12 X3 35i

If both hoses are cold and it’s properly bled to include heater at full heat and allowing the bleed cycle of your electronic water pump to run the full time full of BMW antifreeze then you likely have a plugged heater core. Had this happen and had to back flush it with lots of debris coming out during the process. Had to flush it twice to fully clean it out but once I did heat is back. First flush only got it to like warm.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 11:05 AM   #4
TyTwoShoes
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36M3 View Post
If both hoses are cold and it’s properly bled to include heater at full heat and allowing the bleed cycle of your electronic water pump to run the full time full of BMW antifreeze then you likely have a plugged heater core. Had this happen and had to back flush it with lots of debris coming out during the process. Had to flush it twice to fully clean it out but once I did heat is back. First flush only got it to like warm.
What did you use to back flush it? I found a back flush kit at Walmart but I've yet to see if it will work.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 03:34 PM   #5
E36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, '14 335i, '12 X3 35i

You have to disconnect the hoses to the heater core and I attached the hose from a normal house spigot to the exit and then a small section of hose to the inlet to direct where I wanted the discharge to go so it would get all over the DME that is attached to the manifold. This way isolates just the heater core by itself and back flushes very effectively. If you aren’t sure which is Inlet and which is outlet run it 10 minutes one way and then switch the inlet and outlet and run it 10 min the other way. This will unclog it
Appreciate 0