BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

M-Sport suspension v. Sport suspension firmness

Sorry for the tired old question, but is the M-Sport with Dynamic Handling Package suspension in "Sport" setting more firm, less firm, or equally firm to the Sport suspension?

I've already picked through the thread below that discussed this topic but I swear the more I read it the more unclear it became. I think trying to keep the abbreviations (DHP, VDC, DDC, DCP, SAP, etc.) clear added to my confusion.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ort+suspension

Today I went to my local dealership to ask a sales rep but he couldn't answer with certainty for me either. He said that even thought the M Sport package stated "sports suspension delete" I could still get sports suspension with the M Sport package.

...so I'm asking nicely for someone to give this dunce a simple answer. Please for my sake try to avoid the three-letter abbreviations because I think that's causing me the most befuddlement. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

This has been discussed pretty extensively.

It's my understanding that regardless of normal, SPORT PACKAGE or M-PACKAGE the suspension is EXACTLY THE SAME.

IMO US market gets cheated and I don't care what the opinion of our roads are.

It's also my understanding the only way to get a more sporty-like suspension out of the X3 is to order the painfully expensive DHP which provides dynamic dampening not present in a M-sport package WITHOUT DHP.

also IMO if you aren't hardcore on asthetics the best deal is going SPORT package + DHP and skipping on the M-sport package which in the states is very little more than beauty shop finishing touches on a beautiful car.

I absolutely HATE the black around the wheel wells/fenders so I opted for M-sport without DHP (had to make some consolations) - as I'm a sucker for a pretty face.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Toecutter
Private
Rep

I figured it wasn't exactly the first time someone has posed this question, so thanks for taking the time to reply. I was (am) fully expecting a chorus of "use the bleeping search!" but I was getting very confused (maybe I'm getting kind of old or something).

So in other words, regardless of trim package I need to order the Dynamic Handling Package to get a firm suspension. Do I have it now?

The things I like about the M package are the extra-fatty steering wheel, front end cosmesis, and M369 wheels, but for some reason the M-Sport makes the wheels look really small to me (at least in photos). I'm hoping in real life it looks normal. After having seen pics of the M Sports I don't think I would be happy without it.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

The Sports Package gives a thicker steering wheel too. I'm not sure if the M steering wheel is thicker than the sports one or the same thickness with a different styling & button placement.

My understanding, which could be wrong is that with DHP in normal mode the suspension is softer than the stock without DHP. From there you can tighten it up. I've read where DHP really shines is softening bumps when going over things like pebble roads.
      09-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Toecutter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
The Sports Package gives a thicker steering wheel too. I'm not sure if the M steering wheel is thicker than the sports one or the same thickness with a different styling & button placement.
Good question. In photos the M wheel looks thicker to me than even the Sports Package steering wheel. Can anyone confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
My understanding, which could be wrong is that with DHP in normal mode the suspension is softer than the stock without DHP. From there you can tighten it up. I've read where DHP really shines is softening bumps when going over things like pebble roads.
We do have lots of rugged dirt roads around where I live, and we go mountain biking, hiking, trail running etc. I imagine making the suspension more supple would make those roads real easy. In winter we ski/snowboard a lot and the snowpacked roads get pretty harsh too.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
I dunno, I drove an X3 tonight with the Dynamic Dampers and I didn't notice any difference between, normal, sport, and sport +

I'm skipping this option on my order. Hope this helps a little.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
I dunno, I drove an X3 tonight with the Dynamic Dampers and I didn't notice any difference between, normal, sport, and sport +

Ack, don't tell me that. It was an expensive option.

What about throttle response, shift points and steering tightness? Those are all supposed to change as you toggle the various modes. Previous posts indicated one of the main reasons people took DHP was to get the tighter steering feel of the previous generation. I wasn't able to find any DHP cars for test drive.
      09-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
Toecutter
Private
Rep

Quote:

Oh yeah? I definitely noticed different shift points and think I felt different suspension behavior. At the time of my test drive I didn't know steering was supposed to be affected so didn't pay attention for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Your powers of observation is pretty bad if you couldn't tell a difference. Either that or the car was configured to not alter the chassis stiffness.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
Oh yeah? I definitely noticed different shift points and think I felt different suspension behavior. At the time of my test drive I didn't know steering was supposed to be affected so didn't pay attention for it.
Dynamic dampers doesn't deal with shift points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Your powers of observation is pretty bad if you couldn't tell a difference. Either that or the car was configured to not alter the chassis stiffness.
I really don't know, I didn't drive the car for long enough to really tell, but i went between normal and sport like 5-6 times and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. The tester was riding on 18's though, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

My powers of observation are actually very good and I can tell very minute differences in a car's behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Toecutter
Private
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't? I thought it did.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513681
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

...you burned the goose.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:

I really don't know, I didn't drive the car for long enough to really tell, but i went between normal and sport like 5-6 times and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. The tester was riding on 18's though, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

My powers of observation are actually very good and I can tell very minute differences in a car's behaviour.
You can just rock the steering wheel back and forth while you toggle between the sport and normal and see a decent amount of reduction in body rolll...not a whole lot but it's noticeable. When you tried it were you going just straight on a relatively smooth road? I agree it's not a HUGE difference.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
mdavis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i M-sport loaded

I found SAP tremendously different in terms of steering response in Normal vs. Sport/Sport+. Also, a car without SAP just wasn't interesting at all...Neither had DHP.

I took both cars on a windy road and pushed them...

I purchased the M-sport pack with DHP however.

-mark
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
If you read the last sentence of that marketing blurb then it shows that on 35i models the dynamic dampers only adjust suspension. Shift points are governed by the transmission, so you can put the transmission in sport and disengage the traction control, and the car will feel very similar.

Sorry if I rocked the boat here, I just didn't notice a whole heck of a lot of difference between the two. Not only that, but I don't plan on tracking mine, and there aren't any mountains where I live, so it would be a useless option for me even if I did feel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
You can just rock the steering wheel back and forth while you toggle between the sport and normal and see a decent amount of reduction in body rolll...not a whole lot but it's noticeable. When you tried it were you going just straight on a relatively smooth road? I agree it's not a HUGE difference.
I was on the freeway taking on and off ramps at speed with it. I'd take one off ramp in normal, then the next in sport, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
Toecutter
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillychan View Post
...you burned the goose.
Who me? Sorry, I don't know what that means.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

That statement isn't consistent with observation that you couldn't tell the difference. I'm not super skilled (but I enjoy driving) and I could easily tell the difference. Your offramp test was probably flawed. Try the test sard suggested and you'll feel it.

Having said that, if ramps are the kind of driving you do most, you probably made the right choice. It's not like the X3 was made for the twists.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #18
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I've had mine since June and I do have DHP and have driven a lot with it in all modes. You can notice a significant difference between normal and sport. I have set sport so that it doesn't effect the transmission as I push the shifter into sport manually if I need the transmission to be more responsive.

But, getting back to DHP, in normal mode you can really feel that it is soft. It's a bit rolly polly but is quite good on a long highway drive. But, in normal daily driving I switch the suspension to sport as it makes a significant difference in handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
I've had mine since June and I do have DHP and have driven a lot with it in all modes. You can notice a significant difference between normal and sport. I have set sport so that it doesn't effect the transmission as I push the shifter into sport manually if I need the transmission to be more responsive.

But, getting back to DHP, in normal mode you can really feel that it is soft. It's a bit rolly polly but is quite good on a long highway drive. But, in normal daily driving I switch the suspension to sport as it makes a significant difference in handling.
Sport mode for chassis only for me also With gas prices at $4.19 and > $70 a tank...

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thats my plan as well.

Can the steering be adjusted independently of suspension
      09-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Quote:
Who me? Sorry, I don't know what that means.
LOL!! Sorry I thought you were aware of the movie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #22
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penso di no View Post
Quote:

That statement isn't consistent with observation that you couldn't tell the difference. I'm not super skilled (but I enjoy driving) and I could easily tell the difference. Your offramp test was probably flawed. Try the test sard suggested and you'll feel it.

Having said that, if ramps are the kind of driving you do most, you probably made the right choice. It's not like the X3 was made for the twists.
Maybe I just didn't drive it long enough

Regardless, I don't see a need for it for myself so I'm going to skip it. To each their own!

I will admit that it was pretty cool seeing it on the nav screen when I switched the settings.
Appreciate 0