BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Docray1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4

Loose Mirror?

Has anyone experienced any issues with the drivers side door mirror on the 2011 X3 getting loose and jiggling around when driving, especially at highway speeds? If so, is there any easy fix or adjustment for this? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docray1 View Post
Has anyone experienced any issues with the drivers side door mirror on the 2011 X3 getting loose and jiggling around when driving, especially at highway speeds? If so, is there any easy fix or adjustment for this? Thanks in advance!
Never heard of it, but take it back to dealer to fix.
      09-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

My driver's side mirrior seemed loose awhile back but then it stopped.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Doesn't sound good, but you might try cycling it through the full range of adjustment (to the end stops) both laterally and vertically. When it hits the end of travel, it should just stop. If you hear any clicking, there is probably a broken gear. or the mirror plate has partially popped out of the drive unit.

This suggestion is for a loose mirror (the shiny glass covered thing inside the mirror housing) which is what the OP called it. If it's the housing that is moving it's either a bad spring detent if it's a manual folding mirror or a bad mirror folding drive if the vehicle has power folding mirrors.
If it still has any "play", it's back to the dealers for replacement.

Last edited by Lotus7; 09-16-2011 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Terminology clarification
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:

YES, AND IT WAS VERY ANNOYING!

.... but there is an easy fix (at least there was on mine), that my service people showed me.

Manually push the mirror to the "folded in" position so it is almost against the window.

Then, push the button on the armrest to reset it to the extended position. Be aware it may make a loud click, but when it extended it was firmly locked into place.

(sort of what Lotus wrote)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Docray1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
YES, AND IT WAS VERY ANNOYING!

.... but there is an easy fix (at least there was on mine), that my service people showed me.

Manually push the mirror to the "folded in" position so it is almost against the window.

Then, push the button on the armrest to reset it to the extended position. Be aware it may make a loud click, but when it extended it was firmly locked into place.

(sort of what Lotus wrote)
Did you move the entire mirror housing to the "folded in" position, or just the mirror itself? Does the electric control move the entire housing back or just the mirror? I dont think my X3 has mirrors which entirely fold in electrically.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
jmcmathortho
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2016 M4 Vert

I had the same problem on drivers side mirror getting wobbly. I would just push the mirror fold button once to fold then once to unfold and it seemed to tighten up for a couple days. After about 2-3 times doing this the problem went away. Interestingly, after I first got the car from the dealer, the mirrors would not fold until I pushed the mirror fold button 3-4 times. JM
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you move the entire mirror housing to the "folded in" position, or just the mirror itself? Does the electric control move the entire housing back or just the mirror? I dont think my X3 has mirrors which entirely fold in electrically.
Most of the mirror housing. Perhaps the fold-in mirror is part of an option package?

I have a button, on the armrest, to the left of the slider than controls which mirror to adjust. This button folds in the mirrors, or extends them back out to their working position.

If you do not have this button, my suggested fix will not work for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
folding mirrors is part of ZPP I believe. If you don't have this function, that that fix may not work for you. To be on the safe side, you should at least speak to your service department. If you break something trying to fix it, and your rationale is "reputable guys on the Internet said to do that", I doubt they will cover it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
folding mirrors is part of ZPP I believe. If you don't have this function, that that fix may not work for you. To be on the safe side, you should at least speak to your service department. If you break something trying to fix it, and your rationale is "reputable guys on the Internet said to do that", I doubt they will cover it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
Docray1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
Most of the mirror housing. Perhaps the fold-in mirror is part of an option package?

I have a button, on the armrest, to the left of the slider than controls which mirror to adjust. This button folds in the mirrors, or extends them back out to their working position.

If you do not have this button, my suggested fix will not work for you.
I have that button. I assumed (incorrectly, it seems!) that this was a heat function for the mirrors, since my Acura has a button in the same spot for this. Curiously, my mirrors do NOTHING visible when I press that button. So I guess a dealer visit is in order
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have that button. I assumed (incorrectly, it seems!) that this was a heat function for the mirrors, since my Acura has a button in the same spot for this. Curiously, my mirrors do NOTHING visible when I press that button. So I guess a dealer visit is in order
The button on my armrest has a little picture of the side view mirror with an arrow on it.

I think the quick trip to the dealer is a good plan.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Yep. Looks like the folding function is broken. If neither mirror folds, then it could be a problem with the switch, or a centralized problem. Hope it's not the footwell module, that is a PITA.

Just FYI - BMW mirrors are heated automatically, based on outside temperature. There is no manual control for them.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0