BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Question 'Camera System' Chime on Reverse

To cut a long story short, I had my car into the dealership this week to refurb an alloy that I scuffed coming out of a multi-storey car park (D'oh!)

When in, I mentioned that I could hear some wind noise occasionally when on the motorway and a gust of wind blew across me - as if the window was slightly ajar.

They road tested the car, and confirmed they could hear the noise - and then road tested it with me present to make double sure. They then extended the loan car for an extra day after refurbing the wheel. (It was a 2013 116d M Sport in bright orange. Great looking car, cool colour. Drove well too, for what it was albeit the manual gearbox was a bit notchy...)

They took the wind noise really seriously - replaced the seal in the door AND the driver side wing mirror. Apparently BMW recently revised the design of the mirror assembly to remove a small gap that meant air got caught as it flowed past contributing to the noise. This was at a cost of £380 + VAT at 20% + Labour. Thankfully, the car is new and therefore this was a warranty job... I think the issue is cured, time will tell.

Anyway, to the point - since I got the car back, every time I put it into reverse and the top view camera comes on, the car chimes and 'Camera System' displays in the dash and in the HUD. Cameras appear to work fine.

It didn't chime before - is this normal?! How do I turn the chime for this off - I don't want a "BING" every time I select reverse - it's most annoying!!

Cheers,

Chris.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Well, being a new car that is under warranty, AND that it is doing something new after the service people handled it, my first and best advice would be to return to the repair shop and point out that what you see is new since they touched it AND unwanted. They may be able to go in and switch it off.

The less official response: that is a coding option and can be disabled by someone familiar with coding BMW vehicle settings. It is not supported by BMW and most dealers don't even know how to do it, so this would be a thing to undertake if the dealer cannot take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:26 AM   #3
pojaro
Registered
Rep
Drives: toyota yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
To cut a long story short, I had my car into the dealership this week to refurb an alloy that I scuffed coming out of a multi-storey car park (D'oh!)

When in, I mentioned that I could hear some wind noise occasionally when on the motorway and a gust of wind blew across me - as if the window was slightly ajar.

They road tested the car, and confirmed they could hear the noise - and then road tested it with me present to make double sure. They then extended the loan car for an extra day after refurbing the wheel. (It was a 2013 116d M Sport in bright orange. Great looking car, cool colour. Drove well too, for what it was albeit the manual gearbox was a bit notchy...)

They took the wind noise really seriously - replaced the seal in the door AND the driver side wing mirror. Apparently BMW recently revised the design of the mirror assembly to remove a small gap that meant air got caught as it flowed past contributing to the noise. This was at a cost of £380 + VAT at 20% + Labour. Thankfully, the car is new and therefore this was a warranty job... I think the issue is cured, time will tell.

Anyway, to the point - since I got the car back, every time I put it into reverse and the top view camera comes on, the car chimes and 'Camera System' displays in the dash and in the HUD. Cameras appear to work fine.

It didn't chime before - is this normal?! How do I turn the chime for this off - I don't want a "BING" every time I select reversal camera - it's most annoying!!

Cheers,

Chris.
It's possible that the chime and message display are a normal part of your car's camera system. but it's also possible that there's an issue with the system that's causing the chime and message to appear even though everything is working fine.

To determine whether this is a normal function or an issue, you can consult your car's user manual or contact the dealership where you purchased the car for more information. They may be able to provide you with details on how to turn off the chime or whether it's even possible to do so.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 10:37 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You do know that this thread was started 9 years ago, right? And the OP hasn’t been active on the forum since September of 2015. Just sayin’ in case you’re expecting dialog or a response from the OP.

BTW, I do agree with you that it is NOT clear if the OP was getting a check control warning or if it’s just notification that the camera has been activated.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0