BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

RHD/UK HUD with Speed Limit Info Display Clipping

I just took delivery of my F25 35d today and got to play with a HUD for the first time.

The HUD is really cool, but something I couldn't help noticing was that the Speed Limit Info part of the display on the left hand side of the display kept getting occluded from my left eye unless I was sitting exactly centre.

Leaning to the right doesn’t result in any clipping at all, but just a hint of a lean off centre to the left and the Speed Limit Info part of the display gets clipped from my left eye’s field of view.

It appears to be due to the walls of the recess the HUD projector sits in, but it’s odd that it should be so un-tolerant in the horizontal plane to the left or centre, while the right has plenty of scope.

I am trying to decide if the projector is not seated correctly, or it’s just one of those things … and like the iPhone, I am just not using it right.

If anyone has a UK spec HUD with Speed Limit Info, I would like to know what the field of view is.

It could also be related to how far back I have my seat … but I don’t think it’s that much really.
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
lukeeesteve
Private
Rep
Drives: A hertz rental car

I would check out another similar vehicle with the HUD to see if it has a similar issue. Outside of the HUD issue, how are you enjoying everything else?
      06-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeeesteve View Post
I would check out another similar vehicle with the HUD to see if it has a similar issue. Outside of the HUD issue, how are you enjoying everything else?
Yes, of course ... it goes without saying ... doesn't ... it
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I am no expert, bit it looks like the HUD unit is not positioned property.

If you look at the mirror a good 1.5cm on the left hand side is obstructed, while on the right hand side it’s not.

Also on the right hand side, a lot of the bevelled edge of the housing is showing, while on the left hand side its completely hidden behind the covering.

Anyone know what it should look like?
Attached Images

Last edited by Horsey; 06-08-2012 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thought I would post some pictures of what the HUD looks like from various offsets.

The left offset picture shows what my left eye actually sees when driving normally (Speed Limit Info occluded), my right eye sees what it is supposed to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Good luck with getting it fixed. If my poor experience with the top view is anything to go by the first 'fix' for anything technically complex like this will be to reprogram the entire cars software which will waste a day of your time. You'll then be told to leave it for a few hundred miles to 'calibrate'. Only then will they actually be authorised to look at the real issue...

Not bitter at all am I hope your experience is better.
      06-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Today I went to the dealer's showroom and looked at 2 other HUD enabled car, not X3's mind you, and the installation of the units were the same as mine.

I also sat in a very nice 7 series (I think) which has a super dooper HUD, and it was equally unforgiving on the left side.

... so I have concluded that behaviour is consistent with other cars, and like my iPhone, I am just holding it wrong and as Steve Jobs would have advised "Just get over it".

I am a bit disappointed, but case closed.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

One thing to consider here is the system is designed primarily for use with LHD versions and I would guess then 'adapted' for RHD versions.

Also the seating position in RHD versions is not ideal and offset from the pedals, something more obvious in manual versions.

Possibly both of these are contributory factors maybe? Guess we will never know.
Appreciate 0