BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Power steering error

Twice in the past 2 weeks now when putting the vehicle into gear I get the single "chime" and a steering icon on the dash illuminates with an error message that says "power steering. Steering may be affected" and the wheel is so locked up I can barely turn it an inch left or right. I put the vehicle in park turn it off. Wait a sec. Restart it and everything is fine. Anyone else ever see this or know what might cause this.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Service dept just called. No idea what it is. Bimmer less until at least Monday
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Nothing yet. Hopefully they will know something definitive tomorrow I will keep you posted. The CA said they hadn't seen or heard of that error on th 11 x3 yet. They said they were going to fix the noisy lifters while it was in too.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

CA just called. Said they DID find an error code (didn't write it down sorry) and they had to order a part. Electronic Steering "Module". Said the part should be here tomorrow, and then once installed they would have to reprogram the car which itself could take 3-5 hours (according to service dept) Wow.... never owning a BMW before this one, that seems like an excessive amount of time but as long as it is done right! Now they are estimating I will get it back Wednesday
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutt View Post
Twice in the past 2 weeks now when putting the vehicle into gear I get the single "chime" and a steering icon on the dash illuminates with an error message that says "power steering. Steering may be affected" and the wheel is so locked up I can barely turn it an inch left or right. I put the vehicle in park turn it off. Wait a sec. Restart it and everything is fine. Anyone else ever see this or know what might cause this.
Got my new car home after a shit day waiting for it, and F*ck me that same warning came on at home and I could not and still cant move the steering
I have never had a bmw go wrong like this ever, I am really pissed.
      11-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Got my new car home after a shit day waiting for it, and F*ck me that same warning came on at home and I could not and still cant move the steering
What a bummer! Really sorry to hear this; I can imagine how you feel!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
What a bummer! Really sorry to hear this; I can imagine how you feel!
Yup just another F88ked up new car experience.
      11-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. Hopefully they will quickly diagnose it properly and the part is readily available as it was here. Still sucks though.

Lotus7. Any insight on the "lifter issue". A lot of chatter and loud clicking for a spell on cold starts. Eventually goes away but the CA said they "know what causes it, there's a known resolution to it, and the service dept would love to work on the lifters...". Wtf? Love?
Also, does anyone know if the 3-5 hours of painstaking reprogramming will be reprogrammed with any software updates or will it be like it was when it came off the factory line back in February.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That sucks. Hopefully they will quickly diagnose it properly and the part is readily available as it was here. Still sucks though.

Lotus7. Any insight on the "lifter issue". A lot of chatter and loud clicking for a spell on cold starts. Eventually goes away but the CA said they "know what causes it, there's a known resolution to it, and the service dept would love to work on the lifters...". Wtf? Love?
Also, does anyone know if the 3-5 hours of painstaking reprogramming will be reprogrammed with any software updates or will it be like it was when it came off the factory line back in February.
Hutt I have mailed you. J
      11-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Sorry to hear that your X3 has this issue. Hopefully, it will just need an electronics module replacement. Nonetheless, it's always disappointing to have to go through this kind of crap. Been there, done that (35i transfer case replacement, 11 days in the shop, with problems starting at 1K miles).

The complexity of new vehicles is increasing exponentially, and as the complexity and count of the number of sensitive components goes up, so will the early and long-term failures. To compute the probability of failure, the Mean time Before Failure (MTBF) ratings for individual components are divided by a weighted distribution of the number of components in a system. More parts = more likelihood of failure.

You just added another data point on the failure distribution curve.
What scared the S**T out of me ,was the fact this could go wrong at any time according to BMW's Campaign ID Number.
We were going 75MPH just 5 mins before.
      11-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Lotus 7 for the insight. It is loud enough to hear outside idling so we will see what they have to say.

Back to the original topic, hopefully it will be ready today and when I pick it up I wil ltry get the error code that it threw so I can post that for other readers that might have the same issue. It is scary to think, fortunately it happened to me twice both while backing out of the driveway or parking spot. Turning it on and off again seemed to reset it tmeporarily (for a week or so)

JohnBMW6, if you PM'ed me, I didnt get the message? Try again sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Thanks Lotus 7 for the insight. It is loud enough to hear outside idling so we will see what they have to say.

Back to the original topic, hopefully it will be ready today and when I pick it up I wil ltry get the error code that it threw so I can post that for other readers that might have the same issue. It is scary to think, fortunately it happened to me twice both while backing out of the driveway or parking spot. Turning it on and off again seemed to reset it tmeporarily (for a week or so)

JohnBMW6, if you PM'ed me, I didnt get the message? Try again sorry.
OK basically I wanted the code if you can get it please, thanks.
Mine has gone back to the dealer on a low loader
It would not reset no matter what I did, I even put the battery on charge all night thinking it may help.
When mine failed it never came back on!!! If that happened at speed it would mean certain "Big Accident" that steering is almost impossible to turn, it makes me a bit wary of the car now, it will take a good while to have confidence in it.
      11-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: one word... AAAAAAARGHHHHHH
CA just called, said part came in, but they "noticed some tightness in the steering column and don't want to just throw parts at it". So they are now engaged with the factory rep at BMWNA and are taking their cues from them. They are performing additional tests to see if just the module needs to be replaced, or the whole steering rack as well. CA asked the service technician to email me the sesrvice plan and error codes it has given thus far.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK basically I wanted the code if you can get it please, thanks.
Mine has gone back to the dealer on a low loader
It would not reset no matter what I did, I even put the battery on charge all night thinking it may help.
When mine failed it never came back on!!! If that happened at speed it would mean certain "Big Accident" that steering is almost impossible to turn, it makes me a bit wary of the car now, it will take a good while to have confidence in it.
I'm pretty sure that these things are designed to 'fail safe'. So whilst it may require major and considerable effort to move the wheel while stationary or manoeuvring it should be a little easier at speed.
Different system entirely, but I had a belt snap on my power steering some years ago as I was exiting a motorway at a fair lick. The slip road (exit ramp) had a sharp bend at the top and I really thought that I was going to go straight on and over the top but I pulled the wheel around eventually. Part of the problem, I think, is that we are so used to power assistance now and have forgotten what its like without, although a set-up designed for power assistance is always going to be extra heavy without the power.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Different system entirely, but I had a belt snap on my power steering some years ago as I was exiting a motorway at a fair lick. The slip road (exit ramp) had a sharp bend at the top and I really thought that I was going to go straight on and over the top but I pulled the wheel around eventually.
that sounds like something out of a really bad dream!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
that sounds like something out of a really bad dream!
Fortunately I was wearing my brown trousers!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Update: one word... AAAAAAARGHHHHHH
CA just called, said part came in, but they "noticed some tightness in the steering column and don't want to just throw parts at it". So they are now engaged with the factory rep at BMWNA and are taking their cues from them. They are performing additional tests to see if just the module needs to be replaced, or the whole steering rack as well. CA asked the service technician to email me the sesrvice plan and error codes it has given thus far.
I wonder just what your service dept are on about, you can not order just the Module BMW Germany have told us (we have the M Sport adjustable steering).

UPDATE: BMW UK have ordered the "Complete steering rack from germany
The only ONE in germany's Stock
, that will take a week to arrive.
I hope this will be the last of it and I can drive the thing.

I think This will be my very last BMW, sorry.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 11-09-2011 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: So it seems the service department is powerless in this situation, or at least thats the kool-aid they want me to drink. Still no diagnoisis, still no news, still no trouble or fault codes, and some guy in New Jersey now is supposedly "dialing into" my BMW in GA and troubleshooting this remotely. We are "waiting for him to get back to us".... Frustrating that in 5 days we still dont have a resolution or even the proper parts on order yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Just got a call. Entire steering rack to be ordered. For my car that is pn# 32106855872 and it is supposedly in Wisconsin. They must be overnighting it but nonetheless they said it would be here tomorrow. Hope to ave the car back Monday or Tuesday of next week they say. Progress at least. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep

Lol. I will be sure to do that. I saw that part on another diagram I found but didn't look nearly as detailed as you showed. Thanks. When they reprogram this thing do you know by chance if there has been software updates since the 02/2011 build month that I should be trying to get them to install rather than the original software. The service department has not been very good here and they are beginning to acknowledge that and restore my faith in them. Still, it's been a royal pain thus far. Thanks again for posting that diagram.
I can't imagine what all this would have cost out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Lol. I will be sure to do that. I saw that part on another diagram I found but didn't look nearly as detailed as you showed. Thanks. When they reprogram this thing do you know by chance if there has been software updates since the 02/2011 build month that I should be trying to get them to install rather than the original software. The service department has not been very good here and they are beginning to acknowledge that and restore my faith in them. Still, it's been a royal pain thus far. Thanks again for posting that diagram.
I can't imagine what all this would have cost out of warranty.
My Update;
BMW UK are offering "Compensation" for my inconvenience thankfully, part ( complete steering rack) should be here saturday morning.
Work to be undertaken Monday.
      11-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #22
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Steering Error

I now have this steering error on starting the car, steering very stiff. Switch off engine and lock and unlock car it starts as normal, even moving steering wheel slightly during starting the car brings up the error. Booked in on Monday with local BMW garage. Will point out Hutt and johnbmw6 with same kind of fault. Could be another steering rack required.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0