BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Arrow 2013 X3 Automatic Tailgate broken after panel beaters

Had some cosmetic panel damage to the rear tailgate and rear bumper. Automatic tailgate was working perfectly despite the damage. Insurance fixed it, sent to the panel beaters who replaced the whole back tailgate and the rear bumper.

Had a bad feeling that when they fixed the damage they would stuff up the automatic tailgate as when I was there the guy tried opening the tailgate manually. He said they're designed so, but I remember the guy at the dealer who had been working there for a week had broken one on his first day as you're not meant to manually control the tailgate. SO.

Picked up the car, automatic tailgate doesn't work via remote, and only works if you help it a little bit from the closed position by pressing the button at the back.

They believe it was a software issue and it needs a reset so we have to take it to the BMW Body Shop now which is a real pain as theres only one in Melbourne.

I'm thinking it's probably the latching mechanism at the bottom they stuffed up, or the stuffed the motor/sensitivity controls in the rods that lift up the tailgate.

Anybody else got any insights?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Sounds like its the programming or the positioning sensors.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

From your description ... my first thought was to try the tailgate button by the driver's footwell. If that opens the tailgate then it seems to be in working order mechanically (without manual assist), and somehow not recognizing the key fob command. BTW, just in case, the key fob requires holding for 1 second before triggering, I'm sure you know that...

I also find it a little awkward at times when triggering the auto tailgate when I lift the handle. I try to lift it as little as possible but always feel like I'm forcing it up, making a sound like you are going to break something.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Don't know if this relates, but mine stopped working temporarily when an unfamiliar passenger tried to help it open, felt the resistance of the auto mechanism, and decided to try to help it close instead. The auto mechanism stopped doing anything. I closed it manually and it wouldn't open automatically from the footwell, key fob, or tailgate. It would open, but no auto motion. Stayed that way until I shut the car down and let it sit (not sure the magic time because I had to go into work for several hours). When I got back it was happy again and has been working normally since.