BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Extended trial of a 5 series versus an X3 - for information

So, same engine, same gear box same toys. Observations? Well the 5 cockpit feels enclosed after the X3, with the low front roof line being less appealing. The 5 boot is deeper but room in the back of the 5 is reduced- with kiddy seats the back is a tight squeeze. And the X3 suspension and power thro 4 wheels is also a win. Sat a friend about to buy a 5 into it then the X3 and now he has a problem as he did not like the 5 nearly as much. So high praise indeed after all the awards the 5 has won. Plus the exterior dimensions are bigger to the point where it won't fit in a standard UK garage (at least not the ones I tried) where as the X3 does. No going back for me then!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
So, same engine, same gear box same toys. Observations? Well the 5 cockpit feels enclosed after the X3, with the low front roof line being less appealing. The 5 boot is deeper but room in the back of the 5 is reduced- with kiddy seats the back is a tight squeeze. And the X3 suspension and power thro 4 wheels is also a win. Sat a friend about to buy a 5 into it then the X3 and now he has a problem as he did not like the 5 nearly as much. So high praise indeed after all the awards the 5 has won. Plus the exterior dimensions are bigger to the point where it won't fit in a standard UK garage (at least not the ones I tried) where as the X3 does. No going back for me then!
I have the 550i M Sport 2011 model, it fits in garages ok, the X3 will be a foot shorter but 1" wider, I have had the demo in my garage so that fits too, I feel the X3 steers better than the 550i, it seems to go round corners smoother with a flatter feeling. I am looking forward to the X3 35D M Sport. The 5 series just has not cut it for me, and thats after only 10 months of ownership, at least I got a good forward valuation on it in PX for the X3
Will I miss all that power.......................... Na ; the X3 should go well enough.
Attached Images

10-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

hmm... this is an interesting read as i was seriously tempted with the F10 but the 4 wheel drive won out... coming from the E60, the F10 looks really good and still does in my opinion compared to the F25... but the choice is now made...
      10-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
hmm... this is an interesting read as i was seriously tempted with the F10 but the 4 wheel drive won out... coming from the E60, the F10 looks really good and still does in my opinion compared to the F25... but the choice is now made...
I did not test drive the 550i M Sport in the uk as Mine is the only one in the UK, so I test drove the 3.0 Diesel version, this seemed to steer ok at the time. After some time behind the wheel of the 550i ( coming from an M3 E90) it felt it's weight in the corners and at pace on back roads was ( it seemed) insecure and did not inspire confidence.
The car in all other respects is great and power is mental, it is as quick as my M3 in most situations and quicker in some.
However here in the UK speed cameras and speed guns are the main occupation of the police, so drive here with defective lights no problem never get stopped, drive 5 MPH over the limit and they crawl out of every lay-by and side turning. The X3 35D M Sport should be quick enough and TBH it handles just great on back roads.
      10-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
CRW
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 30d MSport Carbon Black

I had 24h test drives of both a 5-series touring and an X3 back in February. Was given a X3 20d SE first which we loved. With 2 little ones, the elevated driving/seating position was a plus as well as the practicality of the vehicle and the added benefits of 4WD, which I need up here. Standard kit was generous and the promised economy a bonus. It did sound a little rough with a heavy foot but I've had 4-cylinder Audi diesels and it was no worse than those.

The 520dSE touring I asked for morphed into a fully loaded 530dSE. Fantastic spec, ultra-smooth, refined, quiet, how much torque? A very big boot but the car felt very long and was more an executive car than a car to be abused by a family. As my car is a company lease, the cost of a 5-series was expensive relative to the X3 and that's before I have to dig into my own pockets to pay for extras!

In the end I went for the best of both worlds and opted for the versatile and practical (and less common) X3 with its 4WD but with the 30d.

I've had my 30d MSport in carbon black for a few weeks now and love it and believe I get the best bits of both cars I test drove with no real negatives.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I test drove both extensively over a number of days, and I prefer the 5er. I much prefer the lower driving position, and after a little play with the settings, it handles very well and goes when I want it to. Steering is accurate if sterile, but it is not supposed to be a sports car. The finishing quality is much better in the 5er and the boot is useful. In Aus, we actually have the touring which have better loading space than the X3 except the height. The 5er's seats are also more comfortable.

The X3 in comparison to me has more body roll and is less controlled than the X5. It is certainly nimble but just didn't have the response as the 5er as there were no settings to sharpen the response. The finishing was probably the worst out of all the BMWs I have owned or driven - paint on the inside is untidy and the trims and interior is not as well appointed. The cabin is although is more open, it is not actually bigger than the 5er. It also has less options to choose from.

If the car was for me I would have picked the 5er. Unfortunately, the 5er is a much bigger car and my wife much prefer the shorter X3. Got performance control an sports suspension and with the 30d, and might change my mind when the car gets delivered next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I was too in the position to choose between 520d and X3 20d, and test drove both. 520d was noticeably quieter than the X3, and had more responsive brakes. On the other hand ride quality was almost the same to me although belonging to different segments. I think that's a big plus for X3 being a SAV. 520d was more fun to drive in general , but only if you know what you are doing, otherwise X3 gets another big plus for the handling thanks to the xdrive. I found the rear seat and the boot space surprisingly limited in the 520d considering 5er is like 250 mm longer than X3 . I eventually went for the X3 for the more ground clearance and xdrive both of which I need to have, and the thought that I was not really sacrificing performance, handling and ride comfort as well as fuel economy over the 520d while having the advantages of a SUV or SAV.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
I had 24h test drives of both a 5-series touring and an X3 back in February. Was given a X3 20d SE first which we loved. With 2 little ones, the elevated driving/seating position was a plus as well as the practicality of the vehicle and the added benefits of 4WD, which I need up here. Standard kit was generous and the promised economy a bonus. It did sound a little rough with a heavy foot but I've had 4-cylinder Audi diesels and it was no worse than those.

The 520dSE touring I asked for morphed into a fully loaded 530dSE. Fantastic spec, ultra-smooth, refined, quiet, how much torque? A very big boot but the car felt very long and was more an executive car than a car to be abused by a family. As my car is a company lease, the cost of a 5-series was expensive relative to the X3 and that's before I have to dig into my own pockets to pay for extras!

In the end I went for the best of both worlds and opted for the versatile and practical (and less common) X3 with its 4WD but with the 30d.

I've had my 30d MSport in carbon black for a few weeks now and love it and believe I get the best bits of both cars I test drove with no real negatives.
Great buy, hows your economy coming along?.
      10-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

I wanted the 5er and the family wanted the X3.

Good choice, Tuff family
      10-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
I did not test drive the 550i M Sport in the uk as Mine is the only one in the UK, so I test drove the 3.0 Diesel version...
Are you saying yours is the only F10 550i M-sport in the United Kingdom? Like, the ONLY one anyone has ever bought thus far?

Impressive. I wouldn't want to give up that German made interior solidity, let alone the prestige of owning the only petrol powered V8 F10 in the country.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
CRW
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 30d MSport Carbon Black

Around town and on short runs to work about 33mpg. I've had one decent run and managed 40mpg until I moved the gearbox into Sport and planted my foot he he!

I have a long roadtrip visiting family over the next week and wll put about 1,000 miles on the car so that should be a better indicator.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Are you saying yours is the only F10 550i M-sport in the United Kingdom? Like, the ONLY one anyone has ever bought thus far?

Impressive. I wouldn't want to give up that German made interior solidity, let alone the prestige of owning the only petrol powered V8 F10 in the country.
Yes mine is the ONLY 550i M Sport here in the UK.
I don't think people want these engines hear anymore due to government pressure and high fuel prices
I got a good PX forward valuation on it against the X3 35D M Sport, so it's going.
Great car for someone though.