BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
BMwX32004_Boise
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2004

Urgent Help needed :Engine replacment

I have a 2004 X3 which has been pampered and well taken care of and has 120K miles on it . Few days back while driving it got overheated in traffic . I pulled over the car and towed it to dealership. They have found the head gasket is blown . But they say since the engine was overheated there might be other damage and the only meaningful route is to replace the engine. I am unable to make a decision as both routes are very expensive and risky.

1. Replace head gasket, the labor cost is comparable to cost of replacing the engine, if there are further damage I have to later replace the engine. the claim is overheating most probably has damaged few other things which could show up any time. Although the initial test, 6 both test show the motor is not dead. Expense cost $3000-4000

2. Replace with a used Engine. This route is even more expensive , But how do we know the engine we get is any better, the recommended place is LKQ, does anyone has any experience with sourcing a used engine. The warranty covers only the engine for small time 6 months-year but the labor is only covered in part. The labor is more expensive than engine so if something goes wrong even if the engine is under warranty its a $4-$5K expense just to make use of warranty. Initial Expenses cost : $5000-6000

3. Scrap the car. This the only car I have, I already have some loan on it and cannot afford to buy another one. And there has never been any major problem with car in last 6 years.

I kindly request you all to give me an advice which might help me to sustain the car for another 4-5 years. I have to struggle to manage the above expenses and I am clueless on which route to go.

Thanks for all the help. I sincerely appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i would shop around for used engine, usually comes with some warranty.

I think either way you will spend pretty penny.

possible trade in, if thats the only issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
BMwX32004_Boise
Registered
Rep

Thanks nyalpine90 , the warranty covers labor only in part . This will be only 1/3 rd of the cost if something goes wrong with the engine even during warranty period.
Also is anyone aware of any trusted used engine dealers ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMwX32004_Boise View Post
I have a 2004 X3 which has been pampered and well taken care of and has 120K miles on it . Few days back while driving it got overheated in traffic . I pulled over the car and towed it to dealership. They have found the head gasket is blown . But they say since the engine was overheated there might be other damage and the only meaningful route is to replace the engine. I am unable to make a decision as both routes are very expensive and risky.

1. Replace head gasket, the labor cost is comparable to cost of replacing the engine, if there are further damage I have to later replace the engine. the claim is overheating most probably has damaged few other things which could show up any time. Although the initial test, 6 both test show the motor is not dead. Expense cost $3000-4000

2. Replace with a used Engine. This route is even more expensive , But how do we know the engine we get is any better, the recommended place is LKQ, does anyone has any experience with sourcing a used engine. The warranty covers only the engine for small time 6 months-year but the labor is only covered in part. The labor is more expensive than engine so if something goes wrong even if the engine is under warranty its a $4-$5K expense just to make use of warranty. Initial Expenses cost : $5000-6000

3. Scrap the car. This the only car I have, I already have some loan on it and cannot afford to buy another one. And there has never been any major problem with car in last 6 years.

I kindly request you all to give me an advice which might help me to sustain the car for another 4-5 years. I have to struggle to manage the above expenses and I am clueless on which route to go.

Thanks for all the help. I sincerely appreciate it.
How can a head gasket swap cost $3,000 - $4,000? That sounds sketchy to me... should be way less than that.

I would find a good independent shop and have the car taken there for estimating.

Other damage from overheating would likely be a warped cylinder head. I would think that this would be fairly easy to identify and then decide from there if replacing the head gasket makes sense.

Given your description, the only alternative to repair is replacement with a used engine.

I say all this with the caveat that I don't know how badly the engine overheated.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
BMwX32004_Boise
Registered
Rep

Thanks epiphone3, I am also thinking of towing the car to an independent shop.
But the labor quoted is more than 20 hours , the gasket itself doesn't cost more than few 100 dollars.

Heating: Extension tank was bursted and they had to put a new one.

The problem they are telling me that it is not possible to know if there is any further damage until they get to the point of replacing head gasket. But by that time I have already paid for the labor of replacing the gasket and if something else is found in engine then I have to pay again for the cost of labor for engine replacement. So according to them replacing a gasket is not recommended.

Is there a way we could test the engine without getting to apoint of replacing the gasket.

I will check on the warped cylinder head .

Thanks a lot again.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ngine&_sacat=0

few engines on ebay for sale... not sure if your in the US or europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMwX32004_Boise View Post
Thanks epiphone3, I am also thinking of towing the car to an independent shop.
But the labor quoted is more than 20 hours , the gasket itself doesn't cost more than few 100 dollars.

Heating: Extension tank was bursted and they had to put a new one.

The problem they are telling me that it is not possible to know if there is any further damage until they get to the point of replacing head gasket. But by that time I have already paid for the labor of replacing the gasket and if something else is found in engine then I have to pay again for the cost of labor for engine replacement. So according to them replacing a gasket is not recommended.

Is there a way we could test the engine without getting to apoint of replacing the gasket.

I will check on the warped cylinder head .

Thanks a lot again.
20 hours to replace the head gasket seems very excessive. This should be a days work at most. I'd call an independent shop and ask them how much labour they charge for a head gasket replacement and also explain to them the situation to get a second opinion on if the gasket replacement is worth it.

With overheating, usually what happens is that the head warps a bit and you need to get it planed and then replace the head gasket. That is barring a major failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I would go for replacing head gasket. Try good independent shop.
I estimate less than ten hours of labour.

Is there still a SAAB dealers shop in Boise - they should do a good job.

I checked: Michaels Automotive is still there - try them, with regards from SAAB test engineer
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
BMwX32004_Boise
Registered
Rep

Thanks a lot guys I will try to get to an independent shop.

@Tjalle The reference for the labor for head gasket replacement is very helpful.

Also just for my reference if the engine eventually needs to be replaced what is the approximate number of hours.

I have got a quote of 27 hours from dealer and 16 hours from independent shop. How can it be so much different ?

I again appreciate all the advice .. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

One is book hours so what the manual should take which is what most dealers charge even though it might take them a lot less time. 16 hours is most likely what it actually takes to swap the engine.
Appreciate 0