BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

Gen 1 X3 vs New X3

Hey Bimmer fans,

I have a question for anyone who has owned both the previous generation of X3 and the new X3. I know this is an incredibly broad question, but how would you rate it against the old one? What are your thoughts on topics such as Ride quality, comfort, wind noise, options, etc.

One concern I always had with the first X3 was the interior. It just seemed a bit cheap and "plasticy" compared to other BMW models. With the X1 coming over to the US finally, do you think this new X3 model feels less like an entry model and more like a "real" BMW?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel4865
Hey Bimmer fans,

I have a question for anyone who has owned both the previous generation of X3 and the new X3. I know this is an incredibly broad question, but how would you rate it against the old one? What are your thoughts on topics such as Ride quality, comfort, wind noise, options, etc.

One concern I always had with the first X3 was the interior. It just seemed a bit cheap and "plasticy" compared to other BMW models. With the X1 coming over to the US finally, do you think this new X3 model feels less like an entry model and more like a "real" BMW?

I didn't own a first-gen but I'm very familiar with it. The interior on the second-gen, while much, much better, is still second rate compared to other BMWs. I'll say this; the interior LOOKS dramatically nicer than the old X3, but it feels only a little bit better when you have to live with it. Cost-cutting has never been more glaringly obvious.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

I've owned both. I had a 2007 in black sapphire with 18" wheels, and I liked it a lot. The new one is an upgrade in almost every way: better looks inside and out, size, technology (top view camera=awesome), seat comfort (with Sport seats), performance (35i is fast), handling, and much better suspension. The only thing I might miss on the old one was the nice road feel you got with the older hydraulic steering. The new steering is good however when you opt for Dynamic Handling Package, and the adjustable dampers is a nice feature.

Regarding the interior, I would not hesitate to recommend it, but bear in mind it's not going to be as luxurious as a 5 or 7 series.

Last edited by nonagon; 07-19-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
DouginNC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible, 2011 X3

Quote:
Hey Bimmer fans,

The new X3 is built like a "real BMW". It's nicer than my 128, and on par with a e46 we owned. Heck, the interior is as nice as a e39, but not as quiet. I'm not so sold on the drive by wire throttle.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

To me, improvement at the ride comfort for F25 is the biggest difference over the first gen. On the other hand, for example wind noise is still there.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
lukeeesteve
Private
Rep
Drives: A hertz rental car

Coming from an e90, Each mile I put on the f25 leaves me pleasantly surprised. This is no run of the mill SUV when it comes to driving dynamics. I'm sure that improvements can be made, but for a 4200 high CG vehicle, this drives much better than many other cars I have driven.
      07-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouginNC View Post
The new X3 is built like a "real BMW". It's nicer than my 128, and on par with a e46 we owned. Heck, the interior is as nice as a e39, but not as quiet. I'm not so sold on the drive by wire throttle.
I appreciate all the great feedback, thanks to everyone who replied. The reason I ask is that I have an E92 335i Coupe and my wife has a new 135 coupe. Since we both ended up with sports Coupes we don't really have a family vehicle anymore, so I am looking at the SUV line (X3 or X5) when I trade in my lease next round. My wife traded into her 1 Series from the old gen X3 and immediately noticed the improved feel of quality and the "fit and finish" in the the 1 series over the old X3. I always thought the old X3 had a cheaper feel to the interior and didn't carry over the same feel as the 3 Series and especially 5 series I have owned in the past. It looks fantastic, I just wanted to ask any owners out there if it feels as good as it looks, or if it is just a pretty mask but still feels inferior to the other models.

Again I appreciate everyone's feedback!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeeesteve View Post
Coming from an e90, Each mile I put on the f25 leaves me pleasantly surprised. This is no run of the mill SUV when it comes to driving dynamics. I'm sure that improvements can be made, but for a 4200 high CG vehicle, this drives much better than many other cars I have driven.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
I appreciate all the great feedback, thanks to everyone who replied. The reason I ask is that I have an E92 335i Coupe and my wife has a new 135 coupe. Since we both ended up with sports Coupes we don't really have a family vehicle anymore, so I am looking at the SUV line (X3 or X5) when I trade in my lease next round. My wife traded into her 1 Series from the old gen X3 and immediately noticed the improved feel of quality and the "fit and finish" in the the 1 series over the old X3. I always thought the old X3 had a cheaper feel to the interior and didn't carry over the same feel as the 3 Series and especially 5 series I have owned in the past. It looks fantastic, I just wanted to ask any owners out there if it feels as good as it looks, or if it is just a pretty mask but still feels inferior to the other models.

Again I appreciate everyone's feedback!
My last car was a 2008 135i and the X3 feels more premium, refined, grownup, comfortable, modern, technologically advanced and practical. Just option it out and I think you'll be satisfied. For handling and acceleration...the 135i was a fun little rocketship and I think I might prefer the N54 to the N55 engine.
Appreciate 0