BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Of course they don't magically tighten, but it's not the DDC that's doing that. DDC is a separate element of the suspension. Folks without DDC still have the Sport-Normal choice and the suspension changes between softer and sportier.
      02-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

It is my understanding you need M-sport or Dynamic Damper Control for the suspension to do anything while flipping the buttons. see this chart

If you have a 35i (no m-sport or ddc) your suspension is passive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Of course they don't magically tighten, but it's not the DDC that's doing that. DDC is a separate element of the suspension. Folks without DDC still have the Sport-Normal choice and the suspension changes between softer and sportier.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That chart is very handy -- it addresses Dynamic Driving Control which is the bit about changing the characteristics of the vehicle by selecting between Normal, Sport, and Sport+. Up above a post mentioned Dynamic Damper vice Dynamic Driving Control. Regret any confusion as they both are "DDC". Dyn Driving Control is the button bit with the three configurations detailed in that chart. Dynamic Damper Control is the car sensing inputs and adjusting the suspension parameters to specifically compensate for it -- it takes place all the time in any of the Dynamic Driving Control modes.
      02-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
That chart is very handy -- it addresses Dynamic Driving Control which is the bit about changing the characteristics of the vehicle by selecting between Normal, Sport, and Sport+. Up above a post mentioned Dynamic Damper vice Dynamic Driving Control. Regret any confusion as they both are "DDC". Dyn Driving Control is the button bit with the three configurations detailed in that chart. Dynamic Damper Control is the car sensing inputs and adjusting the suspension parameters to specifically compensate for it -- it takes place all the time in any of the Dynamic Driving Control modes.
Hahaha, now i'm confused - you lost me in all the acronyms.

I can't tell if you agree that shocks don't change for any reason unless you have the dynamic damper option. It sounds like maybe you think that rocker switch has special powers otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #27
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Read the top of this chart slowly. Does it say:

A) Dynamic Driving Control (Normal, Sport, Sport+ adjustments)

or

B) Dynamic Damper Control (Normal, Sport, Sport+ adjustments)

?????

The answer is A. The answer is A because Dynamic Driving Control provides the choice between Normal, Sport, and Sport+ settings on the vehicle.

Separately, Dynamic Damper Control is a system that the driver has no interaction with that senses road inputs and adjusts the suspension in real time to minimize their impact (e.g. a pothole).
Attached Images

02-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #28
bren
user
Rep

Wait, so you do think the dampers are magically adjustable? Okay, that's wrong.

Of course "dynamic driving control" is used to change chassis settings, there is no "dynamic damper" button. Notice how it says "base vehicle" and that column says "normal"?

Last edited by bren; 02-16-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Of course "dynamic driving control" is used to change chassis settings, there is no "dynamic damper" button. Notice how it says "base vehicle" and that column says "normal"?
Priceless.
      02-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I can't work out which of these posts, if any, are sarcastic!

Nahoa is right. Dynamic Driving Control gives you switch Normal/Sport/Sport+ and that does not change the suspension in any way shape of form unless you also add dynamic dampers.

The dynamic dampers automatically adjust the suspension based on feedback from the road 100s times of second but because they have the ability to change the damping they also allow you to select a Normal or Sport suspension mode which allows you to have something more equivalent to a sport suspension rather than a normal one. This is hooked up to the dynamic driving control Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch

I think they call it "comfort" rather than normal because of the added benefit you get from the automatic feedback changes giving a smoother ride over bumpy surfaces than you would in a car without dynamic dampers

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #31
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Nahoa is right. Dynamic Driving Control gives you switch Normal/Sport/Sport+ and that does not change the suspension in any way shape of form unless you also add dynamic dampers.
Is that what he's saying, because I got confused in his confusion.

It sounded like he thought the suspension would firm up in Sport without the "dynamic dampers." My apologies if not.

I don't want to keep beating this horse, but want to make sure nobody stumbles on this thread while doing research at a later time and screws up their order because of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Is that what he's saying, because I got confused in his confusion.

It sounded like he thought the suspension would firm up in Sport without the "dynamic dampers." My apologies if not.

I don't want to keep beating this horse, but want to make sure nobody stumbles on this thread while doing research at a later time and screws up their order because of it.
The horse is beaten, dead, cooked and has been served up in a Parisian bistro

It doesn't help that BMW use different initialisms to describe the same thing in different markets and that DDC can mean 2 different things (where one is a subset of the other)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Ok - I bought the 2011 X3 with the DCC figuring I'll use either my iPhone or Garmin GPS. It seems to have all other options - Premium, Convenience, Cold, DCC, Sport Activity, Sat Radio, Storage, upgraded sound system etc. Not quite sure what it doesn't have other than Nav. I like it!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Back on topic, to the OP, unless you never plan on selling the car, and are way more into having the handling options and can decipher the above to figure out if it's worth it, get the NAV.

I don't understand why that is even an option on a car like this these days. The integrated NAV is so much better than second solutions. You can always use your phone, get a tom tom etc, but none of those are as nice as the integrated NAV.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Too late. Read the post immediately above your's - he has already bought the other one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Back on topic, to the OP, unless you never plan on selling the car, and are way more into having the handling options and can decipher the above to figure out if it's worth it, get the NAV.

I don't understand why that is even an option on a car like this these days. The integrated NAV is so much better than second solutions. You can always use your phone, get a tom tom etc, but none of those are as nice as the integrated NAV.

Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #36
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
As it turned out, the GPS I use on my motorcycles is on it's way out so I'll need to buy one anyway. And, the one with the DCC also had the Sport Activity Package and I was able to get it for what I think is a great price. I needed the roof rails anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #37
bren
user
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markap View Post
the one with the DCC also had the Sport Activity Package.
Very important piece of data that was missing originally.

Congrats.
Appreciate 0