BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #67
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

If you haven't done so already I would defiantly file a complaint with BWM NA about that dealer. They sound like a bunch a crooks. I have never and any issues getting warranty work done on any brand of car like you are describing. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge you for the initial diagnosis and then also file a claim with BMW for warranty service.
      06-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #68
StephenG
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

X3 Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Thanks guys... read several threads about this issue and wow
BMW, are you serious? couldn't believe I will get this problem from a brand new car. How could I fix this problem now? This is totally ridiculous... we just got the car for a month, use it everyday, and now we already have this major issue... never thought I'd question the reliability of this car.... too bad its Thanksgiving here, all service centers are close... Hope this car will keep on starting and will not totally be discharge until monday... Luckily I have honda civic 2003 to use as a backup this holiday. I guess my honda is more reliable than my new car for I had never encountered a problem like this ... BMW should fix this and be aware that this is happening...
Thanks for the help...
June,

I also have problems with the X3 battery but don't rdrive it as much.
Car is 9 months old, has 500 miles on it and battery went dead 3X
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #69
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

StephenG,

Based on the price of the car and the amount you drive you could have hired a limousine for each of your trips for less money.
      06-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #70
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

No battery in a modern car with an always-on computer and complex sensing system can retain its charge with only 500 miles of use in 9 months. Even with no such components drawing power the battery will lose charge normally. This level of usage calls for a battery tender or other full-charge-sensing charger to be connected either at all times between uses or once a week to bring the battery to full charge which should take about an hour with a reasonably powerful charger.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #71
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

This is an issue that concerns me since I plan on purchasing an X1 and recently found out that this issue might be throughout the entire X vehicle lineup. A coworker experienced the battery discharge problem last week and was told by the dealer that she drives the car improperly. An addendum to the manual states ( I can't confirm this, maybe someone can) that the vehicle needs to be driven for at least 10 miles at highway speed every day to properly charge the battery. This information was not presented to her before she purchased the X3 and since she has a similar commute as mine, ~ 6 miles on local streets, it might happen again.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #72
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Hogwash!

My commute is about 15kms and I've never had the problem.

Hyundai's are cheap. Buy one and keep it in the garage in case the bimmer needs a boost.
      08-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #73
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport

We had this problem too. The dealer replaced the battery but it didn't fix the problem. Turns out we had a bad stereo amplifier that was draining the battery. New battery+ new amplifier= no more battery discharge message.

If only the dealer could fix our persistent sunroof leak!!
      08-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #74
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

There is nothing in my owners manual about the need to drive the car 10 miles a day to keep the battery charged. The X3 3.5 system shuts dowm after a short time even after pressing the "off" button once - it shuts down when pressed twice.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #75
MargoRagan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

My 2011 X3 is having Battery discharge issue

I have a 2011 X3 which I drive 7 days a week. I drive 30 min or more each way to and from work 5 days a week so there is no having the car sit for long periods of time not being driven. I also drove it for nearly 4 hours 3 days before the issue first presented itself last week. I don't plug anything into the car except my phone occasionally and it always comes with me when I leave the car. I also ALWAYS lock my car when exiting so there is no issue with it not going "to sleep" because it wasn't locked and alarmed. No rain or other weather to speak of as well. Fairfax BMW tried telling me "I don't drive the car enough" which I know is crap and from what I have been seeing here, it appears to be a recurring issue with the X3 through various model years. Is it possible the battery regulator is bad? Or is there another issue causing this that BMW is hiding? I want to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible since it's going to be getting cold soon and last thing I want to do is be stranded somewhere during the winter...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #76
jc4ho
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've had the same issue. Had the car plugged in all night, then drove 100km+ on the highway and the next day the battery warning came on.

Dealership told me based on my driving the battery shouldn't be a problem. Indeed it wasn't, they read a strong 14.1V on the battery from key fob yet the battery drain message still came on. Then they told me that there's actually a known programming issue and that there's updated software for the entire car and they are updating it at the moment. Here's to hoping that fixes it, as well as the transmission jerk that happens in first gear!

The dealership is Parkview BMW in Toronto if that helps anyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #77
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoRagan View Post
I have a 2011 X3 which I drive 7 days a week. I drive 30 min or more each way to and from work 5 days a week so there is no having the car sit for long periods of time not being driven. I also drove it for nearly 4 hours 3 days before the issue first presented itself last week. I don't plug anything into the car except my phone occasionally and it always comes with me when I leave the car. I also ALWAYS lock my car when exiting so there is no issue with it not going "to sleep" because it wasn't locked and alarmed. No rain or other weather to speak of as well. Fairfax BMW tried telling me "I don't drive the car enough" which I know is crap and from what I have been seeing here, it appears to be a recurring issue with the X3 through various model years. Is it possible the battery regulator is bad? Or is there another issue causing this that BMW is hiding? I want to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible since it's going to be getting cold soon and last thing I want to do is be stranded somewhere during the winter...
Don't listen to these BS excuses from the dealership. Mine often gets used only 1-2 times a week and only for very short trips (less than a mile) and never has battery problems. It also has electric seats and folding mirrors that are constantly being used as my wife drives it with a completely different seat position and it's always locked with mirrors folded. It's 2.5 years old now without any battery issues in that time other than one blip but i think that was leaving the lights on - and was only a warning.

Demand they sort it out is my advice.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #78
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

This is from my M3 Owners manual, talks about short trips but no mention of driving to miles.

General information
To guarantee the full service life of the battery, ensure that the battery is always properly charged.
It may be necessary to charge the battery in the following situations:
> If frequent short trips are taken;
> If the vehicle is frequently parked for more
than a month.
Jump-starting terminals
Only charge the battery in the vehicle via the terminals in the engine compartment with the engine off. Connections, refer to Jump starting on page 270.
Power failure
After a temporary power loss, the functioning of some equipment may be limited and require reinitialization. Individual settings may likewise have been lost and will have to be programmed:
> Time and date
These values must be updated, refer to page 88.
> Radio
In some cases, stations may have to be stored again, refer to page 168.
> Navigation system
You must wait until the system becomes functional again.
> Glass roof
It may happen that the roof can only be tilted. The system must be initialized. Please contact your BMW center.
> Seat and mirror memory
The positions must be stored again, refer to page 51.
> Inside rearview mirror with digital compass The system must be calibrated, refer to page 121.
> Active steering
The system automatically initializes itself
The jacking points are at the positions shown in the illustration.
Vehicle battery Battery care
The battery is 100% maintenance-free, the electrolyte will last for the life of the battery when the vehicle is operated in a temperate cli- mate. Your BMW center will be glad to advise in all matters concerning the battery.
Battery replacing
Only use vehicle batteries that have been
approved for your vehicle by the manu- facturer; otherwise, the vehicle could be dam- aged and systems or functions may not be fully available.<
After a battery replacement, have the battery registered on the vehicle by your service center to ensure that all comfort functions are fully available.
Charging the battery
Note
Do not connect battery chargers to the
sockets installed in the vehicle at the fac- tory; otherwise you may cause damage to the battery.<

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #79
sandu420
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarka@csolve.net View Post
We had this problem too. The dealer replaced the battery but it didn't fix the problem. Turns out we had a bad stereo amplifier that was draining the battery. New battery+ new amplifier= no more battery discharge message.

If only the dealer could fix our persistent sunroof leak!!
a have the same problem
please tell me how did you find out that is the stereo amplifier ?
Appreciate 0