BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2011, 02:59 AM   #1
dongdong134
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Bloody unlucky on my new X3

Picked up my carbon black X3 msports last Saturday but figured out quite a few problems.

1. They didn't installed variable sport steering/dynamic driving control into my car which is in my order.
2. The Msports roof rail should be high gross shadow line but they put chrome one instead.
3. Steering wheel has some problems and would lock itself when I start the engine sometimes. I have to turn off the engine and restart again to make it work.

Really piss off by these mistakes and problems. They have told me they will refund the variable sport steering cost and repair the steering wheel problems. But they need to order parts from Gemeny and it takes two weeks.... What I can do.....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

VSS is really important for me. Do you miss it or find the steering feels totally disconnected? VSS may not be crucial for you. If it were me I'd insist on dealer fit and if that's not possible then a new car. Do not just take the money or if you do get a LOT more than the cost of VSS.

Last edited by clivem2; 09-28-2011 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Exactly. It's what you ordered, waited for and should definitely be receiving. I wouldn't let them get away with their mistake. I would bring back the car and ask to be delivered a new one with the right options loaded . I know it is not something they would accept right away, and even if they did, it would be another wait for months maybe, but worst scenario I would ask for a good discount-refund for compensation to keep this one, not just the refund of VSS . Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I would be tempted to refuse it as it is but the big problem is the HUGE lead time. Not so easy to refuse if that means waiting 6 months for a replacement. I assume no VSS means no servotronic steering either? I would call their bluff, say VSS is essential and that you cannot drive it as it is and that you want them to put it right. Don't accept a simple refund.

Never heard of anyone having a locking steering wheel that needs a restart. They should get this fixed for you ASAP.

Good luck!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Sorry to hear that. I agree with previous posters, if you paid for an option you should have that option, or they need to give you a great deal. Screwing you over and just not charging you for that option is lame. They need to own up to the screwup.
      09-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

They took your money, you have a contract. I like my vss, so feel extra sorry for you. Suggest you visit a solicitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
how would one tell if Variable Sport Steering and Dynamic Drive control are in the X3 or not? I think we determined the sport mode switch comes w/ the sport mode transmission - is there something else to look for?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I checked the order spec printed by the plant that was in the car when it reached the dealer (which was ok) but would like to know too.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
frank2bell
Canada
Rep
Drives: waiting for my X3

The first car that BMW built me was delivered without the correct seats. I refused to take delivery and they finaly agreed to build me a new car. The process started the 11th of August and I'm still waiting for the car but they will deliver what I ordered.

Unfortunately, I purchased a 2011 and by now the 2012s are out but I do want the vehicle with my purchased options.

They are also currently paying for a rental so I can't complain about the wait.

If you want it fixed you push for it!

2008 335i coupé - sold

Last edited by frank2bell; 09-28-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
how would one tell if Variable Sport Steering and Dynamic Drive control are in the X3 or not? I think we determined the sport mode switch comes w/ the sport mode transmission - is there something else to look for?
Dynamic Drive Control is just the switch for Normal / Sport / Sport +. No DDC, no switch.

VSS only by driving it really or the fact you have DDC (and didn’t get DDC from VDC). The change in tightness steering from Normal to Sport is easy to detect.

Servotronic is very difficult to detect without driving it and also knowing what to look for.

Climate comfort windscreen also not so easy to check. Or performance control. I have both and dealer said it's just a trust thing. There's nothing on the car they can demonstrate easily to prove it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
dongdong134
Rep

I have considered to order another new car in right spec but it takes another 4 months as the demand for new X3 is high. They offered me a 2000 dollar cash compensation after I screaming (thanks for your guys advise), and replace the chrome roof rail to the high gross shadow one for me. My car has servotronic function and just missed VSS.

For the steering wheel lock problem, I have to wait the parts from Gemany and it takes two weeks. I have asked BMW to give me a written notes saying if my car has any other problems in the next 12 months, I can have rights to choose either money refund or swap to a new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Sounds like they really screwed things up for you. Ask to see the actual factory build/order sheet. I suspect this is the dealership that messed up your order, rather than the factory. In this case, they did not order to your spec - and are wholly liable. I personally wouldn't accept it.

Cosmetics are one thing, but they omitted a mechanical function that you obviously wanted and paid for. Simply refunding the option price is not the same and does not make you whole. This would be like going to settlement on a house, and being given the keys to a 1 bedroom ranch that needs work instead of the five bedroom custom built model that you purchased - and them saying, well okay then you only have to pay for the smaller house. Not the same.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

What do you think of the steering as it is? I know a lot of people dislike it but there seems to be some differences from car to car and also some differences between Normal mode and a car with no VSS/VDC but with sports suspension. If you have servo, perf control, sports suspension and 18 or 19" rims then it's similar to my setup and I don't have a problem with the feedback at all

Good work on the creating fuss. Sounds like they are keen to make things right for you

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #14
dongdong134
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
What do you think of the steering as it is? I know a lot of people dislike it but there seems to be some differences from car to car and also some differences between Normal mode and a car with no VSS/VDC but with sports suspension. If you have servo, perf control, sports suspension and 18 or 19" rims then it's similar to my setup and I don't have a problem with the feedback at all

Good work on the creating fuss. Sounds like they are keen to make things right for you
Yes, I do have servo, perf control, sport suspension and 19" rims with P-zero runflat tyre. Actually, I am quite comfortable with the steering wheel (controls and handlings), I can feel the steering wheel getting firmer when the speed goes up.

The dealer principle just sent me an email today and confirm they will give me a written notes for 12 months quality ganrantee. I am happy now, thanks for your advice.

post a couple of picture of my vehicle here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks fantastic in the sun! My favourite M Sport colour for sure.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Wow, they really did screw up!! Your steering wheel is on the wrong side!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #17
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
LOL just imagine if that happened...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Easy.. refuse the car, ask for what you ordered and request they furnish you with a car in between.. thats a dealer problem and the dealer needs to sort it. Period.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongdong134 View Post
Yes, I do have servo, perf control, sport suspension and 19" rims with P-zero runflat tyre. Actually, I am quite comfortable with the steering wheel (controls and handlings), I can feel the steering wheel getting firmer when the speed goes up.

The dealer principle just sent me an email today and confirm they will give me a written notes for 12 months quality ganrantee. I am happy now, thanks for your advice.

post a couple of picture of my vehicle here
Hi dong, looks very impressive and very sporty

Question, I didn't get the sport model but just the ordinary x3 20d with sport suspension. How would I know if the dealer had installed the sport suspension for me?

Any advice? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #20
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
+1

I have to admit i've wanted to use that joke about 50 times, but my counterparts in UK and Australia and other right side steering places may yell at me.

In the US we have plenty of vehicles w/ steering on the right, of course they all are mail delivery trucks belonging to USPS... perhaps w/ an X3 35i, i could get my mail sooner
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #21
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
+1

I have to admit i've wanted to use that joke about 50 times, but my counterparts in UK and Australia and other right side steering places may yell at me.

In the US we have plenty of vehicles w/ steering on the right, of course they all are mail delivery trucks belonging to USPS... perhaps w/ an X3 35i, i could get my mail sooner
Hang on a minute; if the steering wheel is on the right side how can that be the wrong side?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

NEW CAR for me, I would tell them to stick that one.