BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
MurrayX3
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

Turning off/down backup proximity alarm when bike rack installed

I had a trailer hitch and rear 4-bike rack installed at my local BMW dealer last week. My only complaint is that the rear proximity sensor goes crazy whenever I backup the car with the bike rack on. Of course the bike rack is just inches from the sensors and so the display is red and a loud beep emits as soon as I backup and for a while when I start going forward.

With the $900+ install price and hours of extensive programming that were supposed to have gone into this install, I am surprised they can't make something simple like this turn off when the rack is installed. Is there any way to turn off the rear proximity detection beeping when a bike rack is installed? Thanks,

This is for a 2012 BMW X3 28 fully loaded.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
BMWLVX
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

Sorry, I can't help you, but I had the same problem myself when fitting a Saris Bones 3. It was mainly due to one of the wheels hanging down too low. The bike doesn't have a straight cross bar so it hangs at an angle. I searched in the menu settings for some PDC options but nothing.

I would have thought with a rear hitch system like yours that when all the cabling for the light board is connected that it would disable the rear parking sensor. I guess I will have to just live with the sensor going off when in reverse and wait for the crumpling sound of bikes
      08-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

We've got the first gen X3, and we've got the factory fitted trailer hitch. When we connect our bike rack up to the 13pin socket on the car it disables the PDC when you select reverse on the rear and leaves the front PDC enabled.

I'd of though its something the dealer would have to do, but i've never had that problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

I think the dealer missed something when they installed the hitch. The car should know when you have the connector in the plug that something is attached to the rear and this deactivates parking sensors at the rear.

Car probably needs to be coded to tell it that it now has a tow bar installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

My installation included reprograming the car so it would "know" when the hitch electrical system is being used.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0