BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

Have mine since May 1 and have 9500 miles (I drive A LOT). It's a 2014 35i. No issues...love the exhaust sound vs. the 28.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Point A to point B in style

I am on the fence about the X3 35i 2014 or the 535i 2012-14. My insurance is higher on the 535i than the X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.skytech View Post
I am on the fence about the X3 35i 2014 or the 535i 2012-14. My insurance is higher on the 535i than the X3.
I have both cars, if cargo space is not an issue, I would buy the 535i any day fo the week. It a nicer ride, handles better, better materials and better gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

My wife wants it because it's higher off the ground and because of the cargo space. My 2 kids will grow up and I think we can be ok with the 5. I test drove the x3 and it feels like i am on stilts but the 5 feels like it's on rails but I feel crowded. Like I said, still on the fence. It's just my wife and my two kids and I am coming from an MDX 2011.

The MDX is a very solid SUV and fast like a mother even though it's big and heavy. It drive like a car. 300 HP with big 13" brakes. Very fun drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasgotkids View Post
Thank you! That's an excellent comparison and speaks to the things that matter most in my decision. We plan to wait until spring (which sounds like there will be a good benefit for the xc) since the Mini we will be trading is a convertible, a tough sell heading into the current Seattle rainy season.
I'll put some pictures/thoughts up when we take delivery of the XC60. It should actually arrive into the dealership today 10 days early, looking to pick it up on Wednesday.

What are you looking for in your replacement car as priorities?
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My wife wants it because it's higher off the ground and because of the cargo space. My 2 kids will grow up and I think we can be ok with the 5. I test drove the x3 and it feels like i am on stilts but the 5 feels like it's on rails but I feel crowded. Like I said, still on the fence. It's just my wife and my two kids and I am coming from an MDX 2011.

The MDX is a very solid SUV and fast like a mother even though it's big and heavy. It drive like a car. 300 HP with big 13" brakes. Very fun drive.
Is the car for you or the wife. My wife like the X3 pretty much for the same reason as your wife, must be a female thing
If the BMW is going to be your primary vehicle for four, then the 5 series might be too small.
I had 04 MDX, it had rattles everywhere, not near as fast as either of our BMW. I also found the MDX to be too wide to be driven in a sporty manner, especially on narrow river roads where the BMW feels right at home.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

The Bimmer will be the primary but I am the only one who drives. Yes i think it is a female thing. We went to look at them yesterday and she was like "Are you crazy? How can you think that the 5 would be better than the X3?" I told her that in MPG it is and in looks too. Then she was like "Get whatever you like" you know what that means. All that aside, I am looking to rent a 535 or 525 2011 -now for a week to see how it would be living with one since I have an MDX. Know any places in NY that can help me out with this?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #30
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The Bimmer will be the primary but I am the only one who drives. Yes i think it is a female thing. We went to look at them yesterday and she was like "Are you crazy? How can you think that the 5 would be better than the X3?" I told her that in MPG it is and in looks too. Then she was like "Get whatever you like" you know what that means. All that aside, I am looking to rent a 535 or 525 2011 -now for a week to see how it would be living with one since I have an MDX. Know any places in NY that can help me out with this?
If you are the primary driver, definitely get what what you want. I once made the mistake of buying a car my wife wanted for myself, I hated driving that car and traded it in after a year. ironically, it was a SUV
The 5 series is quite a bit better in quality and material, the chassis is based off the the 7 series' chassis and they share quiet a few components as well.
I guess if you have to get a SUV to please the wife, the X3 35i with adaptive suspension is not a bad way to go, it will be quicker than 535i and handle about the same. The material will not be as good and it will have more road noise.
Have you ever try this site for rental, its like a craigslist for cars, the prices seems pretty reasonable.

https://relayrides.com/search#location=New York, NY&makes=BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #31
Mr.skytech
Lieutenant
Rep

Cool man thanks. I am going to see if i can rent one for the week.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #32
Tipsy McStagger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Msport AW

Quote:
Depends. Do you ever want to have sex again?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #33
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout
Quote:
Thank you! That's an excellent comparison and speaks to the things that matter most in my decision. We plan to wait until spring (which sounds like there will be a good benefit for the xc) since the Mini we will be trading is a convertible, a tough sell heading into the current Seattle rainy season.
I'll put some pictures/thoughts up when we take delivery of the XC60. It should actually arrive into the dealership today 10 days early, looking to pick it up on Wednesday.

What are you looking for in your replacement car as priorities?
Priorities are space and comfort, then gas mileage. I don't hate my car, I love the way it drives, but the rear seats don't fold (which ticks me off that that is optional - it wasn't optional on either of the 3's we owned in Germany, so never thought I had to ask for split seats here). I've got the sport which is a bit stiff, and the roads in Seattle are crap so you feel it a lot more than I'd like.

That said, the car was a surprise Christmas gift from my husband (bless him), I got a bit excited remembering my past 3 series and kind of overlooked the practicality side of things. (Sometimes I actually miss the minivan...you can't beat the space with kids and dogs!)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Quote:
Priorities are space and comfort, then gas mileage. I don't hate my car, I love the way it drives, but the rear seats don't fold (which ticks me off that that is optional - it wasn't optional on either of the 3's we owned in Germany, so never thought I had to ask for split seats here). I've got the sport which is a bit stiff, and the roads in Seattle are crap so you feel it a lot more than I'd like.

That said, the car was a surprise Christmas gift from my husband (bless him), I got a bit excited remembering my past 3 series and kind of overlooked the practicality side of things. (Sometimes I actually miss the minivan...you can't beat the space with kids and dogs!)
How many kids & dogs do you have? I say that, as the X3 isn't the biggest car in the world. We have no kids, but do have a border collie and I think she would feel cramped in the back of the X3 if she had a companion.

You mentioned the XC70 I think, that would give you more room in the back, would be more economical and is very comfortable - just not as high off the ground as the XC60 or X3. There's always the new X5 which looks very nice?

If your dogs are small then the X3 would be alright as would the XC60 and every other mid size crossover. Have you taken your dogs and kids to any dealerships and sat everyone (dogs included) in to see if it's roomy enough? That's probably what I would do.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #35
Mamasgotkids
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout
Quote:

How many kids & dogs do you have? I say that, as the X3 isn't the biggest car in the world. We have no kids, but do have a border collie and I think she would feel cramped in the back of the X3 if she had a companion.

You mentioned the XC70 I think, that would give you more room in the back, would be more economical and is very comfortable - just not as high off the ground as the XC60 or X3. There's always the new X5 which looks very nice?

If your dogs are small then the X3 would be alright as would the XC60 and every other mid size crossover. Have you taken your dogs and kids to any dealerships and sat everyone (dogs included) in to see if it's roomy enough? That's probably what I would do.
I'm laughing at my dog at a dealership, she's not super friendly She is small though as a mini daschund. I have two kids and my son has been promised his own dog next summer (boxer, retriever or bulldog; he can't decide).

We usually research a car, then bring the kids/carseat/golf clubs in for a test. The xc70 would be better for the lower height and getting chairs/tables in. The X5 is too big for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
I'm laughing at my dog at a dealership, she's not super friendly She is small though as a mini daschund. I have two kids and my son has been promised his own dog next summer (boxer, retriever or bulldog; he can't decide).

We usually research a car, then bring the kids/carseat/golf clubs in for a test. The xc70 would be better for the lower height and getting chairs/tables in. The X5 is too big for me.
Please, please have a test drive of an XC70 before you seriously consider it. Yes, on paper it is ideal for lugging stuff around buts its almost an insult to mention it in the same breath as vehicles such as the X3, Q5, XC60 etc. While certainly it rides well and the T6 is a good engine (even better with the Polestar tune), it drives and steers like a beached whale. This is coming from someone who used to have a previous model P2 XC70 and loved it. The XC60 is a far better ride and a more satisfying drive with only a little given away in total cargo space.

The X3 (of cause) is the best drive, but admittedly an even smaller cargo volume.

Tony

ps - we have two dachshunds - a standard and a miniature. There's only the two of us now and they (the dogs that is) travel on the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #37
Leighton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Consumer Reports cargo area measurements: XC60 32.5cf; X3 33.0cf. More important for our choice was rear legroom: XC60 26.5in; X3 28.5in. That additional 2 inches results in a huge improvement in adult rear passenger comfort on long (>1 hour) drives. Because both offer included maintenance, I inspected dealer service facilities in NYC. Volvo is a Ford stepchild in Manhattan; Brooklyn service compared unfavorably to all of the three NYC BMW dealers.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #38
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

hard plastic in the tailgate area would be prone to scratches if you carry stuff around.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #39
Kenavatio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i M Sport

I have a 2013 X3 35i fully loaded and M sport in Canada for 1 year and 2 months. So far put 21000km on it, No other big issue. But couple weeks ago, my Screen went out while driving the car, No Navi, no Radio, no CD, no sound, no bluetooth, and others, everything related to the I drive was down. Dealer decided to change something like a I drive control for me, still waiting for the shipping to Toronto. Besides that everything was so perfect about the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #40
mac10
Private
England
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo (SOLD)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
hard plastic in the tailgate area would be prone to scratches if you carry stuff around.
I noticed this when I had a test drive in the XD3!

In fact some of the other guy's thought it was a 'Pre-Production' set up!! The salesman was asked the question to which he said no, that is as it is!!

If you tap the edges it sounds 'CRAP'!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #41
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

2013 X3 Msport bought in August 2012. 57K miles with only the lamp on the pass side "make up" mirror needing replacement. Easy to get 32 mpg on the freeway...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #42
ChouX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

My only concern is 28i using 4 cylinders i/o 6

On 15.Sep we ordered 10 X3 at Shanghai(get more discount),need one more month drive it ...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #43
Edge2112
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

I agree with the XC70 beached whale comment. Couldn't believe it took so long to get up to overtaking speed. I cut short the test drive , handed it back and went to buy the X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #44
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
15k miles with a 2013 X3 and no issues.

We have the 4 cylinder engine and it's plenty powerful for us and attains mid 30's MPG on the highway. Add DHP if you wan the added fun factor- makes the X3 the ultimate driving machine.

Look at the Audi Q5- good choice, but less of a fun factor driving machine.

Had a boring MDX, but was boring. If you want ultra reliable you need to go with the Acura or Lexus. It's all about compromises.
Appreciate 0