BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
lola_falana_12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

How to turn off airbags

I have my dog in a car seat on the front passenger side. How do I turn the airbags off or is this done automatically by the car? If it's auto, how do I know? What is the indicator?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

The passenger seat airbag is automatically turned off if the weight in the front seat is not enough. I've seen published numbers of between 40 and 70 lbs, being the required loading on the seat to arm the airbag. If the airbag is not armed, there will be a "PASS AIR BAG OFF" yellow warning light on the overhead console when you start the car. It only lights for about (2) seconds, so you have to be looking at the overhead panel to notice it.

If your dog is too heavy, there is no easy way to disable the air bag without installing an aftermarket override switch.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
lola_falana_12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Thank you for your reply. I noticed the "passenger airbag off" yellow light. Seemed like stays on the whole time. Wasn't sure if the light meant it was off or on. My dog is 12lbs and the dog car seat can't weight too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
momo28
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I think once your dog (with the car seat) was put on the front passenger seat, the passenger airbag light will stay on until you have somebody with a weight more than 80 lbs sitting on it to turn the airbag back on. I know this because I have my little nephew sit at the front and I had to get somebody to sit on it afterwards to reset the airbag on.
Appreciate 0