BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2022, 01:14 AM   #1
hellhawk741
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

"Engine braking" when letting go of accelerator

Whenever I am driving and begin coasting to a stop by letting off the accelerator, the car acts like I have downshifted and begins to engine brake aggressively. The car has always felt pretty rough during normal downshifts while coasting and BMW said it is normal but now it is significantly stronger and actually lunges me forward a bit. The car is a 2015 X3 N55 with 69k miles. Has anyone experienced the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 08:53 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Have you heard of "Brake Energy Regeneration"? It uses the alternator to charge the battery which has a slowing effect when coasting and or braking. You can feel it, but it shouldn't lunge you forward.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

What mode are you driving in? Eco Pro? Comfort? Spor?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #4
hellhawk741
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Have you heard of "Brake Energy Regeneration"? It uses the alternator to charge the battery which has a slowing effect when coasting and or braking. You can feel it, but it shouldn't lunge you forward.
I have and I'm aware these cars have that and was always curious if I was supposed to feel it as much as I do to the point where at one point I wanted to disable it. I even took the car to the dealer and they mentioned it drove like a normal X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What mode are you driving in? Eco Pro? Comfort? Spor?
Comfort mostly. At one point, Eco was the only way to not have it lunge me forward but even now it is also doing it in Eco. Sport mode is almost unusable because the effect is intensified even more.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

I don't feel that much of a difference when I let go of the accelerator. When's the last time you did a transmission service? Transfer case and differential? Are you sure none of your brakes are sticking? Tire pressure at the correct level?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
hellhawk741
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
I don't feel that much of a difference when I let go of the accelerator. When's the last time you did a transmission service? Transfer case and differential? Are you sure none of your brakes are sticking? Tire pressure at the correct level?
I have not done either of those, but I'm guessing it might be due. Brakes are not sticking and no odd marks on the rotor to indicate anything is out of alignment or wearing uneven. Tire pressure is correct as indicated on the door frame. I have always felt it when it goes into regenerative braking as indicated by the blue bar the fills up in the cluster which made me think that's just how these cars drive. I'll have to do some servicing and see if it changes anything.
Appreciate 0